New to me, used Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
I just picked up a used Zumo 550 and could not get any road detail for Oregon where I live. When I check the map detail in the unit, it says 2011 Map etc. NE. I assume that means the former owner only had the NE USA loaded, not sure why. I hooked the unit to my laptop, put the map CD in and to the best of my ability followed the prompts. I think it moved the maps from the cd to the laptop hard drive and, of course I want them in the unit. I got to a screen that says I need to enter the region key for the maps, which is apparently not the key which is on the sleeve of the sleeve. So it looks like I am stuck here and can't figure out what to do next to get the entire US and Canada loaded on the unit.

I have spent over an hour on the various Garmin forums and almost an hour in this forum searching for an answer with no luck.

Anyone have a hint for me?

He most likely had only the NE maps loaded because of memory limitations. If you want the entire US loaded you will need to load it to a memory card. You will be able to do that once you figure out the map key dilemma. It might be worth it just to by the latest update.

Joe

I just picked up a used Zumo 550 and could not get any road detail for Oregon where I live. When I check the map detail in the unit, it says 2011 Map etc. NE. I assume that means the former owner only had the NE USA loaded, not sure why. I hooked the unit to my laptop, put the map CD in and to the best of my ability followed the prompts. I think it moved the maps from the cd to the laptop hard drive and, of course I want them in the unit. I got to a screen that says I need to enter the region key for the maps, which is apparently not the key which is on the sleeve of the sleeve. So it looks like I am stuck here and can't figure out what to do next to get the entire US and Canada loaded on the unit.
I have spent over an hour on the various Garmin forums and almost an hour in this forum searching for an answer with no luck.
Anyone have a hint for me?

The lifetime updates on Ebay or Amazon cost less than 1 from Garmin.

I assume they are the same thing, only more.

Still trying to figure out how to get past the "enter the region " key. Have no clue what that means. A friend on this forum has the whole country and Canada on his Zumo., so I'm hoping to get a clue to do the same.

Graler got it right. The updates are too large for the 550 internal storage. Put your home region on internal storage and the rest of City Navigator on a SD card. You can put other maps on the SD card with City Navigator, but they all have to be written at once.

Decided to buy a new map update from Garmin which downloaded fine and then I had to choose West only maps due to limited Zumo space. Looks like all is good. Thanks for the input. Great article in Fred's post about alternate solutions to be able to use all the maps.

You'll want to use my workaround even with just loading the western partial US maps otherwise you will end up getting memory low errors when you try to run complicated routes, or have multiple routes on your GPS, like for a rally or something. It isn't that much of a bother to do it that way once you've been through it once or twice.

BTW - I still say the zumo 550 is the best overall MC GPS available,.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have entire North America City Nav on SD.....as do most others.

Loading maps from PC on internal is a PITA.

BikerSkier getting off that wallet!
smile.png
Don, you will miss my old duct tape mounting system!

Latest posts