New windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothblue

Reaction score
Well, I think I'm ready to take the larger windshield plunge. Pretty much decide on the 4" taller standard Cee Bailey, but also plan on installing the 'newer' generation V-Strom guards at a later time (not too much later- it's raining steady now in western Oregon!). My concern is... is a wider than stock shield a good idea with the V-Strom guards, or would that be redundant? Thanks to you guys for all the past info on Better farkling through wise application of $$$$.

IMO, wider is better for overall weather protection. I have the newer V-Strom guards and a CB +3 +4 screen. Works okay. Still not a Wing-like pocket.

I have the +4/+3 Cee Bailey. The still-air pocket is both taller and wider so if you're looking for more weather protection taller and wider is the way to go. It won't get your hands out of the weather so you'll still want the hand guards if you want warm, dry, happy hands.

I've got the +4/+3 CB and older style handguards and don't think the windshield helps at all wind deflection over the hands. They're inches out from the windshield and inches back for the windshield to have any real effect.....so no redundancy.

To me the the windshield covers shoulder to biceps and the hand guards cover hands and forearms.

And if I had to do it over again--I would go with the newer style hand guards.

Ignacio, do you know if a throttlemiester will work w/the new 04 vstrom knuckle guards? They look more stable w/the end piece and they are a Christmas list item for me, I got all the part #'s, etc. but I may take them off my wish list if the meister wont work w/them, I will change to the 03 knuckle guards.

Thanks fellas! I think I'll proceed with the purchase of the +4/+3 and the hand guards. Appreciate the timely input. Befor I order... anyone have input on the windshield/headlight covers combo? In particular are there any issues with the headlight guards (other than the fact they look a bit ugly IMHO). Do they come off easily? Looks like they're attached with some type of velcro hook system. What about dirt/water getting and staying behind them when they're on? Thought I'd see if anyone had experience with them before I ordered the combo. I think protecting the headlight plastic from rocks,etc. is a good idea, but didn't know if this is the way to go or not. Thanks again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about the Throttlemeister interaction as I have the Vista Cruise lock.

The headlights guards seem gay to me (as in look like crap and nothing to do with sexuality), but a few folks have them. The velcro seems to also act like a spacer of maybe an 1/8" and seems to come off pretty easily for cleaning.

.....yet another layer of plastic between your filament and the road? CB can keep their cover. Call me either a slave to fashion, a risk taker, or I secretly desire to find out how much a new assembly costs.