Newbie 2015 vs 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravo20

Reaction score
Greetings all.Looking to purchase my first FJR

Wanted your inputs on the above.

A 2015 Model can be purchased for around $13k right now verses 2016 probably $16.5K

What with the new features and possible better re sale in the future 6 or so years. Do you think the later model would be worth the extra?

I was always told to buy the latest model,with what you can afford.

Do you think there would be any potentional issues with a new model,although basically the same as 2013 on.

Sorry if I've rambled on, just wanting input in helping me make my final decision. Oh I do like the Colbalt Blue though
smile.png

Thanks in advance

David

If I was in the market for a brand new bike I would go for the 2016 without hesitation. Besides it being Cobalt Blue, I would like to have the latest innovations.

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much difference between the '14-'15. There are quite a few differences between the '15 & '16. I'd get the 2016 personally.

If I hadn't stolen a slightly used '15A last summer, it would be '16 for me, no questions!

Good luck (especially in your captive Cali market) and happy hunting.
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

'13 '14 and '15 have all (most) of the improvements for the gen3 platform.

Save money and get one of those years (colors) vs the '16 (I hate shifting a 6 speed).

With motorcycle selection being almost as personal as girlfriend/wife selection it is impossible for us to tell you what YOU need. Since there are some very good 2003 models out there still very capable of going all day every day, any year model FJR is a great platform.

You did not mention "A" or "ES", which suspension do you want? Do you have a color preference? Lots of folks did not care for the Bad Ass Stealth Gray (sorry!) Liquid Graphite of the 2015. But then not everyone likes the Cobalt Blue.

Personally, just My Opinion...

If I did not have either one the difference in price would not be a factor. I would work overtime, I would do side jobs, I would eat baloney sandwiches 3 meals a day to save money if I had to. I would get the 2016 in that gorgeous blue with all its new features and I would be so proud of it I would color co-ordinate my helmet and jacket to match it.
smile.png

Since I already have the awesome 2015 ES I am good, and I am not even jealous. I will happily ride it and see what the next 8 or 10 years brings. Good luck, let us know what you do.

You may be able to get a better deal on a leftover 15 now that the 16's are out, but it depends on what you want to spend for what is of value to you. I got a good deal last year on a 15ES, but if I was in your position I would opt for the 16 even if it is blue.
not_i.gif

Greetings all.Looking to purchase my first FJR
Wanted your inputs on the above.

A 2015 Model can be purchased for around $13k right now verses 2016 probably $16.5K

What with the new features and possible better re sale in the future 6 or so years. Do you think the later model would be worth the extra?

I was always told to buy the latest model,with what you can afford.

Do you think there would be any potentional issues with a new model,although basically the same as 2013 on.

Sorry if I've rambled on, just wanting input in helping me make my final decision. Oh I do like the Colbalt Blue though
smile.png

Thanks in advance

David
I don't think resale values will be 3 grand difference in 6 years, and I seldom buy the first year of any new changes.

I'm kinda sorta looking for a good deal on a 15 myself.

But that's just my 2 cents.

If price is the lead issue and color not important, see if you can find a new or near new 2014 or 2015 ES model. If you think the 6sp trans is important, you can achieve the same RPM reduction by having the final drive modified by RMSportsMax for $300 + shpn. Personally, I am not one to buy the first year of a vehicle's changes. I want to see if there are any bugs to be worked out. The Yamaha R1 6sp trans. has been a problem. Is that the same layout for the 2016 FJR trans?

You can get a 2016 ES for $16k from D&H Cycle. No haggling as that is their everyday price. Plus your local tax and license which varies. Pretty fair price.

I would opt out of both. To me mileage vs. price is the key point on such a quality vehicle. Look for 13-15 with the least miles. Last month I picked up a killer deal on a 14 with 2600 miles for $10750 from Honda Powesports of Marysville. You can't go wrong with an FJR. If your thinking resale value before you even buy one... You might be looking at the wrong bike in the first place. I plan on riding this until Death Do Us Part.

You can get a 2016 ES for $16k from D&H Cycle. No haggling as that is their everyday price. Plus your local tax and license which varies. Pretty fair price.
OP lists California for location so D&H is not an option for him. They do offer great pricing for those lucky ones that can!

--G

OP lists California for location so D&H is not an option for him. They do offer great pricing for those lucky ones that can!

--G
I'm in Seattle and I bought mine from D&H. $16k + $650 shipping. Nobody in Seattle is selling them for less than MSRP $18k for the time being. One dealer in Salem, OR quoted the lowest at $16,750.

--G
I'm in Seattle and I bought mine from D&H. $16k + $650 shipping. Nobody in Seattle is selling them for less than MSRP $18k for the time being. One dealer in Salem, OR quoted the lowest at $16,750.

But in California you can't import a brand new motorcycle from another state. So what you can do in Washington has no bearing to the OP.

To the OP, I would get the '16. Otherwise you will be kicking yourself for many years to come for not getting it when you easily could have.

--G

But in California you can't import a brand new motorcycle from another state. So what you can do in Washington has no bearing to the OP.

To the OP, I would get the '16. Otherwise you will be kicking yourself for many years to come for not getting it when you easily could have.
Ahh. So no 50 state model, just 49 + a 'C'? <If> they made a 50 state version could it be imported new to CA, or is there no importing new bikes to CA from out of State?

Illegal to import new 49 state models to California. There is a minimum number of miles required before it can be registered in California.

The things folks will do to save a dime...

The things folks will do to save a dime...
Nothing wrong with doing your research and saving money. I called almost 10 dealers in the PNW. I'm saving $1,350, including shipping costs, over the best local deal and $100 + 400 miles of travel over the best deal within 200 miles. Too bad the OP lives in CA...

--G

Ahh. So no 50 state model, just 49 + a 'C'? <If> they made a 50 state version could it be imported new to CA, or is there no importing new bikes to CA from out of State?
Linky from CA DMV regarding residents and new vehicles. And yes, if the vehicle in question is a 50 state rig then it's eligible for "new" registration.

Rumor has it Smokey Point Cycle Barn has ordered/sold a 16ES for $17K. Not D&H pricing but close enough to avoid the hassle.

--G