Next newbie!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxfan

Reaction score
Hi all! I have been lurking (learning!) here for a while, even before I bought my FJR!

I used the info I learned here to reinforce my decision to purchase the FJR, so thanks to all you posters!

I have bought my Skyway sliders! Now I have a question.

I have purchased a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 with the Garmin mount assembly. Has there been a post, or can anyone give me info regarding how to wire it to the FJR? I have seen reference to an opening in the electrical system for items like these. Any help would be appreciated!

I'll try to post along now to carry on the tradition!

You might lookhere. In fact, FJTtech.com is your friend.

Many owners use the 12 volt barrier strip of some kind (either a barrier strip or a separate fuse block) to provide a power source for their electrical add-ons. Mine is large enough that I have some "switched" (hot only with the ignition on) and some that are "hot" all the time. My Garmin is wired to one that is "hot" all the time so I can program it while parked. I just have to remember to turn it off, but it draws very little current, so even if left on during lunch, it doesn't draw the battery down.

If that is all you are intending to add to your bike, you might just wire it direct to the battery. Once you decide to add more, then you'll need to consider a barrier strip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! I have been lurking (learning!) here for a while, even before I bought my FJR!I used the info I learned here to reinforce my decision to purchase the FJR, so thanks to all you posters!

I have bought my Skyway sliders! Now I have a question.

I have purchased a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 with the Garmin mount assembly. Has there been a post, or can anyone give me info regarding how to wire it to the FJR? I have seen reference to an opening in the electrical system for items like these. Any help would be appreciated!

I'll try to post along now to carry on the tradition!
easy way is to plug it into the electrical outlet in the glove box (assuming you have an '06) - that is sort of lousy but works will for a temporary fix.

not sure about the 2820 and whether or not it has a battery back up. If it doesn't and you want to leave it on for tracking average speed while stopped at gas stations or taking a nap or break - then you will need to wire it to an UNswitched source. either direct to battery or barrier strip or other electrical connection. Barrier Strip or the like is the best way -

Then you can still choose to wire it to full time power or switched. I like my gps to be full time power. You have to remember to shut it down if for extended times - but I like being able to keep my overall average speed for a rally, trip or whatever. Of course - if you have an internal battery... "never mind".

I just hooked up a 2820 this week.

Now that you have the GPS and the wiring, do you have a mount? which one?

Before I did a perm wire and no mount yet, I took an old cell phone cig plug in wire and soldered the two together to work on the plug in the glove box and put the gps in my tank bag.

If you want, pm me and I'll tell you where / how I perm mounted.

Just an update everyone. Installed everything today onto the FJR. Took about 2 hours (although everything seems to take me about 2 hours?). Installed into the existing capped mirror mount in the left hand control area. The installed 2820 sits perfectly between the tach and the mirror, hiding nothing. Not sure how to post a pic, but it looks like it belongs there!

Thanks for the info Fencer. Here is what I bought from Touratech-USA:

2610 Motorcycle mount Kit from Garmin (p/n G10495)

RAM ball mount base 2-7/16 (p/n GRAB)

RAM angle ball, 9 mm (p/n GRAB9)

RAM short arm 1.75" (p/n GRASA)

RAM screw kit GRAB to SPIII (p/n GRSPB)

20mm bolt, M10x1.25 (p/n GC10125)

Currently have it wired directly into the battery terminals. Probably not ideal, but it works. This isn't an ad for anyone, just what I did and how I did it. The people at Touratech were very helpful. They were recommended to me by a friend in Germany, and I would recommend them.

Hope this may help someone. Again, I appreciate the help I get here, so I'm just trying to be pass some along.