No audio out of Garmin to Autocom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
I tried plugging the Garmin to the Autocom but got no voice, just faint clicking sounds when I make control inputs (like adjusting the volume on the Garmin). I used the cable I normally use to plug into my cell phone, and it's plugged into the unit to the receptacle that mutes the stereo when it talks, same place I plug in when it's hooked to the cell phone. Do I need a different cable (mono, stereo, shielded, non-shielded), or is it maybe a defective power/audio cable coming from the Garmin?

I tried plugging the Garmin to the Autocom but got no voice, just faint clicking sounds when I make control inputs (like adjusting the volume on the Garmin). I used the cable I normally use to plug into my cell phone, and it's plugged into the unit to the receptacle that mutes the stereo when it talks, same place I plug in when it's hooked to the cell phone. Do I need a different cable (mono, stereo, shielded, non-shielded), or is it maybe a defective power/audio cable coming from the Garmin?
Toecutter,

Do I remember you having a 2730? If so, make sure your audio out is in "internal speaker" instead of the "FM Transmitter" mode, and that further on down that same audio menu that your audio jack is set to "line out" and not "headphones". Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 2610, and it talks just fine in the car with the inline speaker. I'll check for an audio control menu anyway.

Make sure the audio lines aren't reversed in polarity coming out of the GPS. What kind of cable are you using to connect the Garmin to the Autocom? Was it pre-wired for the GPS you are using?

Be real careful with the audio lines out of Garmin GPS units. It is real easy to burn out the tiny amp in them if you get the output wires shorted together. You might want to check it again and make sure it still works using the in-line speaker in the cig adapter.

Bob,

If it's like my 2730, (and if I understand the problem) the audio out socket takes a 3.5mm diameter plug- while cell phones use a 2.5mm diameter. This might be the problem.

Hal

Make sure the audio lines aren't reversed in polarity coming out of the GPS. What kind of cable are you using to connect the Garmin to the Autocom? Was it pre-wired for the GPS you are using?
I'm using this cable with the one I use to connect my cell phone to the Autocom (not sure if it's mono or stereo). It has a 2.5mm receptacle and the plug goes in nice and positive, but no sound. I'm thinking the problem is the cable from the power/audio cable to the Autocom input. Just not sure which cable is the right one yet. If I can't get the thing figured out I'll cal Keith Goudelock Monday. He'll have some good ideas for sure.

Toecutter.

I'm using the same cable for my 2730, but not using the audio jack portion of the cable. Does the 2610 have a dedicated audio out/headphone jack? If so, try running a cable direct from that to the Autocom.

Get yourself one of these:

pc-gps.jpg

From https://www.mixitproducts.com

Garmin audio out is squirrely and easy to blow (ask me how I know).

Same prob with my 2610 no mater what cord i use.

try this unplug it slightly and push the volume button and i bet it will start working unplugged about 1/16 not sure on the fix haven't worked on it yet only know mine works with a small rubber washer placed on the plug in shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
After going through two garmin cables, I replaced the male plug on the cable that came with my auto.com. Problem solved.