"No part in the country"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paste007

Reaction score
My '06 FJR(a) has joined the legions of FJR's who've experienced ignition failure. Ok, it's been a great bike and I'm not going to bitch about a single breakdown. However, when my local Yamaha dealer checked on ordering a new ignition, he reported that there were none in the Country, that the part was back ordered and would take at least 3 weeks to receive.

Has anyone else experienced the lack of replacement parts with Yamaha?

It's not uncommon with some parts to have a wait...particularly items that seem to have an issue and we have documented as failure prone. There was a backlog on ECUs for altitude sickness and backlog on various gaskets and parts with tickers.

Ignition switch seems to be a common theme regarding availability. Try one of the fixes posted here.

Nah, ain't gonna post a link, to lazy.

:jester:

My '06 FJR(a) has joined the legions of FJR's who've experienced ignition failure. Ok, it's been a great bike and I'm not going to bitch about a single breakdown. However, when my local Yamaha dealer checked on ordering a new ignition, he reported that there were none in the Country, that the part was back ordered and would take at least 3 weeks to receive.
I ordered one using the https://www.mrcycles.com web site on June 21st.

It arrived at my house on July 1st. mrcycles most likely ordered it from Yamaha, had it shipped to them, and then shipped it to me. That was a 10 day wait, and it included a weekend.

Maybe I got the last one, but I doubt it.

I've noticed that "Not in the Country" is a fairly common thing on oddball parts, but they almost always turn up faster than predicted. Of course there are exceptions.

Be sure to report your failure to NHTSA. If the bike quits on you, it can be a safety issue.

Years ago, I spent some time in the automotive "repair" industry, and the excuse about parts not being available was often used to put off less profitable jobs in favor of moneymakers. Yes, I'm ashamed.

If I could suggest that, armed with the part number, you call area (within 1000 miles) Yamaha dealers (the parts department) and see if you can find one on your own.

It's an item easily overnighted.

Just a thought.

Simple....get a wiring diagram and set up yer own ignition switch. Guarantee it would be better then the across the sea crap that they are sending ya pups now.

Yep, same story here . My bikes been in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks waiting on a switch. "Nobody in the country has one" i was told. Still waiting. :angry2:

I had to order one for a customer the other day and it showed back ordered as well. I checked on its status again this morning to see if they had a release date yet, and it shows that it already shipped. Perhaps they recently got a shipment from Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if you got your by the end of next week :thumbsup:

Dealer told me the same thing last year when mine failed, called Yamaha and b*tched, nicely, and they bumped the order to some kind priority/express airfreight. Had my bike back in ten days.

Nothing for the FJR but on R1 it took 3 weeks for Yamaha to get me a rear master cylinder from Ohio. Could of walked there faster.

Can't believe they can me a "hard to get bike" in 3 days but a part takes 3 weeks, IN COUNTRY!

I too work in parts @ a large Yamaha dealership & order parts for my bike regularly. Some of the delay you experience can be traced to how often the parts are ordered, i.e. every day or once a week. Yamaha has a new program called Pro Yamaha which we're very close to becoming. One of the benefits to the dealership & ultimately to our customers is a hotline for parts/service issue resolutions. I've often ordered minor screws/bolts on Tuesday & had them on Thursday of same week. We order every day & Yamaha generally takes care of us & our customers. Shipping costs can be huge for small orders so many dealers wait till order is larger to cut costs.

I had to wait for about two weeks for parts to come from Japan for some of my transmission parts. I sort of expected it.

Not wanting to be left high and dry in the middle of nowhere, I ordered a switch from babbittsonline.com. I placed the order June 5 and it was delivered June 16. I'll keep it with me in the side case for the day the switch fails. If this works like eveything else in my life, the factory switch will last forever and I'll have a spare I'll never need. Just being prepared.

Erik.

My switch failed in June '05 with approx 12k on it. I got stranded at Americade and had to leave the bike. I called Yamaha directly and they told me they would "redirect" another switch coming from Japan for another bike to the dealer working on mine. I asked why they wouldn't stock plenty of these switches, knowing they keep failing. The rep said...."failures? What failures? It's the first I'm hearing of this." He then proceeded to tell me Yamaha only stocks 2 each of items of this type in the US warehouse. It was then MY turn to tell him a good story about valve guide failures on FJR's, with him giving another astonished (read dumb) look.

Ya gotta love it. BTW...I scored a used switch on eBay a few yrs back. Works perfect. I think I paid like $9.99 or something.

I keep it with me at all times now. Nothing like a good dose of paranoia to make a long trip go without a hitch. :rolleyes:

The wiring to the bottom of the ignition switch failed on Saturday, June 14th. Hot wired the bike. Called my Washington state Yamaha dealer on the following Tuesday, June 17th from Montana. The switch was on back order with a delivery date of June 30th. The switch arrived at the dealer on Friday, June 28th but they could not get my bike in until today Saturday July 5th. Drove the bike over 3000 miles with a hot wired toggle switch for my ignition.

Mine went out last Thursday. I called my local shop (LaBard and Underwood in LaHabra, ca.) and they checked the warehouse and said they would have it Tuesday.

However, I checked with Corona Yamaha and got lucky as they had one in stock that was ordered but never picked up.