Nolan Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brap

Reaction score
A riding buddy has a Nolan helmet with the flip up chin bar... I like the idea of it, but haven't tried one yet. Those of you that have them or have had them, what do you think? Also I should add that I'm interested in putting helmet speakers in it. Is there enough room in them?

Thanks, Brap

brap,

I have the Nolan N102 without and now I think the New Model is the N103 and both helmets offered both options. It is fun and flexible to use...but you have to try it on for sure.

Luckily for me, Nolan offers a Pinhead version.

Last edited by a moderator:
A riding buddy has a Nolan helmet with the flip up chin bar... I like the idea of it, but haven't tried one yet. Those of you that have them or have had them, what do you think? Also I should add that I'm interested in putting helmet speakers in it. Is there enough room in them?

Thanks, Brap
I have a N103 with helmet speakers; I've got about 15K miles on the setup.

Overall on the Nolan I'm mixed in how I like it. It fits great, I like the finish and the flip down tinted visor is great altho it takes some practice to find and work the control for that. It's easy to flip up/down the face. I also got mine @ a reduced price from? I forget where, but was one of the big online retailers like Newenough (now Motorcyclegear.com) or Dennis Kirk (I'm on a number of email alert lists).

On the negative it's a noisy helmet sometimes like yesterday when we did the Central Florida FJR ride and at times had pretty strong cross winds; at times it's not an issue as my Cee Baily +4+2 keeps the wind off of you pretty good in certain conditions.

I also don't like how the interior is seeming always coming unsnapped and seems to move around.

On installing helmet speakers: it's not bad but you just have to pay attention and route everything in there right. I did it the first time and didn't sink the speakers in far enough, did a ride and just 'barely' made it home as my ears hurt so bad from the speakers pressing on them. And I mean BAD, to the point of dang near just taking the helmet off! I said 'dang near'. I went back, and trimmed a 3M sanding disc to the diameter of the ear speaker and sunk the speaker 'well' quite a bit deeper and now no more problems.

The chin bar is close to my chin/mouth so the mic for my comm system is always pressing against lips/chin. Also the regular faceshield - the outer clear one, not the tinted inside flip down - bugs me sometimes as I like to ride with it open at times but it constantly flips down with the wind at freeway speeds. I've had other helmets that don't do that.

So I guess for the price it's a good helmet and I'm sure I'll get many more miles on it, but when it needs replacing in another couple of yrs I don't know that I'll buy another one; I'll have to see what is offered at that time...