Nolan N-102

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this set up (listening via StarCom1). It isn't sitting in your den with high quality stereo headphones while smoking a cigar clear, but to me, it's as good as you're gonna get on a motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if you intend for these to connect via BlueTooth. But if so, the ZUMO does not support A2DP, which is the BT profile needed for stereo sound.

-BD

I have the N-102 and the Zumo and can connect to the cell phone wireless through the Zumo and get driving commands bluetooth. I also have XM radio and I cannot get that through the N-102. Is there a way to do that with the Zumo or do I have to go another route. I tried using a hard connection from the Zumo mount to the helmet but when I plug it in everything crashes and nothing works. It looks like I will need an Xcom or some other piece of hardware. I was hoping to do this all Bluetooth.

The XM will not play over bluetooth. See p. 49 of the manual. You need wired speakers for that service.

MP3s play over bluetooth but not in stereo, as Brundog noted.

And just a quick clarification -- I'm guessing you're talking about the N-102 N-Com system. Not all N-102's are set up for N-Com.

Jeez, I feel like I'm raining on the parade.

Anyway, back to the original question -- I have the N-102 (lightly used and about to be for sale since it doesn't fit my head) but I use a Scala Rider instead of N-Com. Yes, I've listened to MP3's and audio books over it. It's fine for audio books. The sound quality for music takes me back to the days of little transistor AM radios with a small speaker.

If I'm going to listen to either for an extended period of time, though, I always plug in the earphones. Not only is the sound better and in stereo, but continuous music over the Bluetooth headset wears the battery down long before I'm done riding and the Scala's battery is not bad as these things go -- over a week's worth of standby time and about 4 hours of talk time. I don't know the specs on N-Com but I'm guessing they're not all that different. It'll get you to work and back, but if you were planning on that system for tunes for a long day on the slab, things would get pretty quiet sometime after lunch.

What I actually do when touring or on the bike for a business trip: I plug my etymotics into the zumo to listen to tunes and directions. I disable the Bluetooth on the zumo and pair the Scala directly to my phone.

I didn't even think that you might be using the N-Com with your N-102. I am not, I am using the StarCom. I don't have an issue with one wire connecting to the helmet. No concerns about battery life, pairing, etc. Top notch this way. Plus the N-Com is more than a damn StarCom!

If you want to listen to XM from your 550 through your 102, you have to have the correct n-com cord. Took 3 tries for my folks to get the correct cord - V is the cord you want. Works OK. If you want good stereo, custom ear pugs from your 550.

If you want to listen to XM from your 550 through your 102, you have to have the correct n-com cord. Took 3 tries for my folks to get the correct cord - V is the cord you want. Works OK. If you want good stereo, custom ear pugs from your 550.
But if you have to have a cord, why not just forgo the N-Com and get a StarCom for roughly half the price?

You can listen to stereo MP3 & stereo XM radio with a BT (Bluetooth) stereo headset wireless. :yahoo: You need to put a Jabra A120s Bluetooth music adapter in the headphone jack on the Zumo.There are other brand A2DP stereo BT adapters (aka Dongle) if you search google. The Jabra supports A2DP stereo BT, so it sends MP3, XM radio to BT headset in stereo wireless.

When you do this you pair your phone to the Zumo, then Zumo to headset, for the phone. This will let you call POIs wireless.

Then you pair headset to Dongle for stereo XM radio & stereo MP3 & audio nav. prompts. The Dongle basically replaces the audio wire by sending a stereo BT signal to you headset.

If you go to ZumoForums you can find this info.

A.C.

road runner, I hadn't thought of that before but it makes perfect sense. That makes the only limiting factor the battery life of the headset. I like this idea.

I'd add the caveat that the adapter isn't motorcycle specific so remember to put it away in the rain.

road runner, I hadn't thought of that before but it makes perfect sense. That makes the only limiting factor the battery life of the headset. I like this idea.
I'd add the caveat that the adapter isn't motorcycle specific so remember to put it away in the rain.
Squeezer

The Jabra, like any dongle also needs to be charged. I think the Jabra says 10 hours of talk time before recharging(which is more than most headsets).

Also your correct about rain. It says in warranty not to get it wet. I'm thinking of putting mine in the glove box or in tank bag and using a 3.5 mm audio extension cable. I don't know where to get cable yet, I'm hoping Radio Shack.

A.C.

Could you not run the transmitter under the seat somewhere with an extension cable, and also provide a charge circuit for the unit from switched power so you never have to worry about charging the transmitter?

Could you not run the transmitter under the seat somewhere with an extension cable, and also provide a charge circuit for the unit from switched power so you never have to worry about charging the transmitter?
It has a function button that you have to use to turn it on & off & pair.

Also when you plug in USB cable it will charge only. It won't charge and transmit at same time.

I thought about wiring a USB cable to battery or Powerlet that is regulated to 5 volts and plug it into dongle when not riding. I just don't know how long before it would drain the battery to low to start. I think it would be OK for a week or so. Any longer you could either unplug dongle or plug in battery tender.

The more I learn about BT the more I think that a wire is not so bad.

A.C.

I am using the Scala Q2's right now...but I like that Nolan n-102 helmet. You guys that have one....would the Scalas fit in the Nolan?