noob question about adding powerlet socket(s)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm new to the forum and new to FJR's, having just bought an 06 last weekend.

What a magnificent bike! :yahoo: So far I'm impressed as hell at the smooth power - great handling - incredible good looks - great storage and pannier set up - and she's a shaftie too. I did ride an o5 first and I'm sure the o6 definitely put out less heat .... but I digress.

I have a question about adding a powerlet socket.

I'd like to have a plug in point for my Darien electric jacket liner - and the Glove Box socket can't supply the juice I need. I ride year round in Vancouver B.C. Canada, so I like to stay toasty in the winter months.

Where would I best add a socket (I'll likely tap straight into the battery) and what would be the best routing of the wires?

Since I'm new to the FJR platform, I present my question to the big group and hope to leverage your experience and save myself some headaches if possible!

PS - my jacket terminates with a BMW style male connector....

thanks to all in advance, Bull

You can add one on the left side of the black panel by the glove box. Just drill a hole and put it in, run the wires to the battery and make sure you use a fuse to protect that circuit. You can put it in the small square on the left where the heated grips on the AE are, or if you have the heated grips, it will fit somewhere in that same panel. ;)

I have a Darien jacket also and a set of Gerbings. I hooked up two switched powerlets on the left side rear of my '06 and it works out fine. Buy the left or right, it doesn't matter. You just reverse the outlet in the bracket. I got them directly through Powerlet (sorry Jeff) and had them make the wires to the exact length that I wanted. They both run to a Blue Sea fuse block under the drivers seat.

DSCF1365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: