Not able to use Joe Rocket Boots on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
I wanted to share an incident that I came across today. I purchased Joe Rocket Sonic Boots. https://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_...ycle_boots.html

Boots look great, fit great, but I ran into a problem when I got on the FJR and wanted to use the gear shifter. It appears that the boot does not allow you to move your ankle to change gears. I will return the boots, but I wanted to ask, what boots is everyone using on their FJR?

I just got these Alpinestars Ridge Boots, my first pair of real motorcycle boots:

https://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_...ycle_boots.html

Very stiff also but I can shift fine, but it is different. Different from the steel toe work boots I have been wearing all these years. They gotta go, though, don't fit my feet well. It's a problem I have with shoes, these are not defective or anything. Yours are more cool looking than mine. :rolleyes:

If these are brand new boots, you may just have to let them break in a bit. Most new boots are a bit stiff and take some leg muscle to get them to articulate above and below a shift lever.

You could also adjust the lever until they are broke in. I wear SIDI Tepor boots and like any new pair of boots, they were stiff at first.

I wear Oxtar Matrix boots for long rides. For every day use I wear either the Oxtars or Bates duty boots. Either of these work fine. The Oxtars are waterproof, the Bates need to be treated to repel water.

I wear Joe Rocket Sonic boots. Of course, I am now on an FZ-6. These boots require a bit of breaking-in. They get better.

Sidi Vertigos in the warm.Sidi Tepors in the cold/wet.

No issues.

ding, ding, ding, ding....

This what I wear too. Use my verts when I am doing agressive riding and there is a chance of a toe slide. The Tepors don't have toe guards. Comfy and warm though, will give them that.

I had a pair of Teknic something-or-other that turned out to be not as waterproof as promised. Got Tour Master Solutions, which were much stiffer, and thicker at the toe. Had to raise the shifter before I could ride with them.

Probably similar to what the guy I bought the bike from was wearing. When I got it and bought the Teknics I had to adjust the shifter down to reach it so I could shift without looking like I was raising my leg for a fart.

The Tour Masters were very stiff when new, and are still stiffer than the other boots, even though they've almost caught up to them in wear time.

Strangely enough, and completely outside the scope of your question, I can also compare them in crash testing!! I've been down to the left in both boots, and had more bruising in my foot in the Teknic. I know the bike landed on my foot the first time, this last time I think I caught my toe on the pavement and rolled my foot under, a hyperextension at the ankle. (The only boot mark is the top of the toe.) My foot is bruised at the instep, but nothing like last fall.

I could still put the Teknics on with the sprain, no hope of wearing the Tour Masters until the ankle is better. Removing it was a truly joyous experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
If these are brand new boots, you may just have to let them break in a bit. Most new boots are a bit stiff and take some leg muscle to get them to articulate above and below a shift lever.
You could also adjust the lever until they are broke in. I wear SIDI Tepor boots and like any new pair of boots, they were stiff at first.
I had the SIDI Tepor, but didn't like the zipper on the outside of the ankle. Sent them back and got a pair of these. They're great, cool, waterproof, and zipper's on the inboard side. Much easier to get on

and off and zip up!

https://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_...ycle_boots.html

I wanted to share an incident that I came across today. I purchased Joe Rocket Sonic Boots. https://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_...ycle_boots.html
Boots look great, fit great, but I ran into a problem when I got on the FJR and wanted to use the gear shifter. It appears that the boot does not allow you to move your ankle to change gears. I will return the boots, but I wanted to ask, what boots is everyone using on their FJR?
dude I have the same boots, they are fine. Any time you get new leather boots they are going to be stiff. Put them on and work them out a bit, give'em some time to loosen up.

Thanks for all the great info. However, I do have one last question. I looked at changing the shift lever, where do you make the change? Can someone maybe provide a picture or just explain what I need to remove to adjust the lever.

Thanks.

I got some new boots and had a little trouble getting 5th gear.

Adjusted lever slightly.

And now for the good part. Left my development and went through the gears to get into 5th

to see how it worked. Let off the gas, and was promptly next to the HP officer.

****.. The guys in front of me were doing 60, yeah I was going after them until you came along.

Changes from 55 to 45 just past my house.

Damn that's a sweet bike, I had to quit riding because I couldn't ride slow. Doesn't look good in my profession.

Lowered it to 64 in a 45 to keep me out of reckless.

If you haven't gotten the adjustment question answered, look for the shaft that goes from the shift lever to the transmission. It has two locknuts on it. Loosen those nuts and the shaft will rotate on the threaded end rods, pulling them in or out depeninding on which way you turn, which shortens or lengthens the shaft. Then tighten the locknuts when it's where you need it.

Latest posts