Not Starting?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmeysemb

Reaction score
Okay,

I have been riding to work almost every morning the past few weeks and it has been fairly cold (about 20 - 30f). This morning was a bit colder (I'd guess about 17f). The '05 is getting up to about 18k miles now and this is the first time it hasn't started. Not even a rumble or a pop. Cranked over easily enough and noticed no unusual behavior putting it away the previous night. Reserve LED is flashing (was actually gonna head over to fill up right away). I was in a bit of a hurry to get to work, so I only had time to put a charger on it and not try much else. Like I said, this is the first time in about 18k ever had a problem starting. I wonder if the colder than usual temps had something to do with it, frozen water clogging something perhaps. Any suggestions or things I should look at first when I get a chance to try them? Could it be simply no fuel? which would be a bit strange since the gauge behavior seemed normal up to this point.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Paul in Duluth, MN

'05 FJR

it could be gas expansion/contraction. what was "low" when you parked (with a motor at operating temp) would now be even lower with the motor (and fuel) cold.

How many miles on f trip? should be about a gallon of gas in there unless you were running on empty for 40 miles.

One thing you could check is the fuel injection fuses, just behind the neg bat post slightly to left as you sit on the bike and attached to the right frame, if that blows it just will not start. 15 amp fuse

Does it spend the night in a warm place? Could be condensation in the tank, now frozen into ice crystals. Pour some fresh warm fuel into it and see what happens.

How many miles on f trip? should be about a gallon of gas in there unless you were running on empty for 40 miles.
One thing you could check is the fuel injection fuses, just behind the neg bat post slightly to left as you sit on the bike and attached to the right frame, if that blows it just will not start. 15 amp fuse

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I am heading out now - I will let you know what I find out next week sometime. Ain't riding anytime soon as the upcoming weather looks dismal, anyways.

I suppose the "old lawnmower" method of spraying starting fluid in is out of the question, then? If I can't ride, I get a bit cranky :angry:

Thanks again for the input.

Happy Holidays,

Paul in Duluth

Does it spend the night in a warm place? Could be condensation in the tank, now frozen into ice crystals. Pour some fresh warm fuel into it and see what happens.

Sometimes I leave the FJR on its center stand for a couple of months while i am away. It is sometimes difficult to start. I am pretty sure it is condensation collecting in the bottom of the tank. There is really no other explanation that makes sense as the motor turns rapidly and finally starts after cranking on and off for a few minutes. Last time it almost flattened a fully charged battery.

The 06 and 05 have done the same thing. The 05 exhibited a frightening tendancy to scare me with hideous clacking sounds as the thing finally caught on 1 cylinder and then another as it tried to fire off. After 30 seconds it ran like a finally tuned machine that it is with no further problem!

Keeping the bike on the sjde stand seems to help and although this is totally unscientific it may keep the condensate away from the fuel pick up lessening the problem.

I had that problem with mine too after it sat for 4? weeks. It was in a warm heated basement too. The thing just flooded before it even tried to start. I ended up unpluging the fuel pump to stop the flow and cranking with the throttle open to clear it. After it sputtered a few times I plugged the pump back in and it started right up complete with banging and knocking noise that finally cleared away. Unplugging the pump reduces the cranking time to a minimum to clear a flooded engine. Friends, do not crank on your starters too long. They will melt if you persist to much. ($$$$$$$$) Allow them to cool for 15 minutes after a few tries.

To rememdy the start situation I am trying a new tactic. Crack the throttle open a "little" before you crank. I think this may allow the engine to start rather than flood if parked for a long time. It has worked so far for me, but then again it only didn't start once, so it will be a while before I can confirm.

Hey, thanks for all the insights folks. I got home last night and it fired up immediately like nothing ever happened. Also, this was the first and only time this has ever happened - wierd. I had ridden home the night before (about 14 hours earlier) with no indication of a problem. I am going with the cause being colder than usual, even though it was only about 5 degrees colder than the previous few days.

My garage is somewhat insulated, not attached, but I guess that morning was colder that the rest. Hopefully, the roads will clear up a bit after this weather so I can test this again.

Thanks again and happy holidays,

Paul (Duluth, MN)

How about checking something more simple. I know I got burned by it couple of times and everyone who can do a bit more then just a simple oil change over looks such a simplicity.

We all know that yamaha thinks about our safety and has installed two safety switches. one by the side stand and one by the clutch lever. As we all know it prevents us from starting this bike in gear.

The one by the side stand is easy. Make sure that side stand is up. If still nothing do a check with an electric tester.

The one by the clutch seams to fail more often.

I am not saying that this is what is wrong with your ride, but something to check and remind others. Have seen people call tow trucks for it :D

I also suffered the infamous, "Help, my bike won't start!", before the NorCal Hwy. 36 ride in Sept. Here's my synopsis of the solution and the cause.

Problem: We had a cold spell and I started the bike to run it for a few minutes, then it sat for 3 weeks without being run. I went to start the bike and the battery was low. It turned over a few times then quit. I charged the battery and it would turn over and "try" but not start and run.

Evidently the FJR is sensitive to not being run completely through the "warm up" cycle. I had shut the engine off before everything was up to optimum temps so the "injector enrichment" was still happening through the computer. Then the bike sat in the garage for 3 weeks. When I tried to start it a couple of times with a low battery, enough gas was allowed through the injector priming cycle to flood the engine.

Solution: I pulled the plugs and they were wet. I replaced the plugs, charged the battery and it started and ran fine, and still does.

Rad has written extensively on this subject and I used hi information (and others) to diagnose the problem. (I don't have time to search this out--I'm visiting at my daughter's, but the info is in the forum.)

Most of this was MY error. 1.) I should have run the bike long enough on the previous start-up to let it come to normal operating temps. 2.) I should have kept it on a battery tender. 3.) Once I realized the battery was not "up to charge" I should have stopped and charged it before attemting to start the bike (It ain't like the "old days" with carburetors.).

As always: IMHO and YMMV.

I also suffered the infamous, "Help, my bike won't start!", before the NorCal Hwy. 36 ride in Sept. Here's my synopsis of the solution and the cause.
Problem: We had a cold spell and I started the bike to run it for a few minutes, then it sat for 3 weeks without being run. I went to start the bike and the battery was low. It turned over a few times then quit. I charged the battery and it would turn over and "try" but not start and run.

Evidently the FJR is sensitive to not being run completely through the "warm up" cycle. I had shut the engine off before everything was up to optimum temps so the "injector enrichment" was still happening through the computer. Then the bike sat in the garage for 3 weeks. When I tried to start it a couple of times with a low battery, enough gas was allowed through the injector priming cycle to flood the engine.

Solution: I pulled the plugs and they were wet. I replaced the plugs, charged the battery and it started and ran fine, and still does.

Rad has written extensively on this subject and I used hi information (and others) to diagnose the problem. (I don't have time to search this out--I'm visiting at my daughter's, but the info is in the forum.)

Most of this was MY error. 1.) I should have run the bike long enough on the previous start-up to let it come to normal operating temps. 2.) I should have kept it on a battery tender. 3.) Once I realized the battery was not "up to charge" I should have stopped and charged it before attemting to start the bike (It ain't like the "old days" with carburetors.).

As always: IMHO and YMMV.
I think Rad's analysis is correct. The first thing everyone who is not riding every week should do is buy a battery tender and leave the bike plugged in to it. Secondly, should you have a starting problem, leave the key on, don't cycle it, and go to full throttle. This has worked for me.

jim