November 2009 ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Novembers in Illinois is when winter bluster arrives...you can never plan a ride in November...unless you don't mind the possibility of snow and ice.

But we're okay on this ride, cuz it wasn't planned. You know...an Old Michael Special. Actually griff called Friday night and we met Saturday morning early in Ottawa, IL While having some coffee, we decided roughly what we wanted to do for the ride. We figured we would follow the Illinois River as it heads west then elbows south and take it as far as Peoria. But I didn't know the roads around Peoria, so I figured I would call Airboss...he seems to know his way around a curvy road...even in central Illinois. So I called on a lark and sure enough Karl/airboss gave up what he was doing to give us a tour of the local curvies around Peoria. And believe me, you need a guide to find 'em. Cuz yer in Illinois see.....

Here we are meeting at the gas station in Peoria, Karl on his VFR.

2009Novemberride006.jpg

Pretty sweet VFR

2009Novemberride004.jpg

Well Karl led us around to some pretty good roads that only the locals would know, then we stopped for lunch at a diner in Mackinaw

2009Novemberride007.jpg

Then we headed north where griff split off to head east back to N. Indiana. Karl led me north and west on another sweet locals road back to our original meetup spot. We said our goodbyes and parted ways. I cruised back up the river on this late autumn late afternoon. I finally stopped for some river shots after I got east of Starved Rock State Park.

2009Novemberride008.jpg

some late fall river barge traffic

2009Novemberride009.jpg

2009Novemberride010.jpg

Some tall grasses on an island in the middle of the river

2009Novemberride013.jpg

2009Novemberride011.jpg

I left the Illinois River valley north of Ottawa and headed to the Fox River valley and home. Last shots of the 2009 riding season - farm fields near Millbrook, Illinois

2009Novemberride015.jpg

2009Novemberride014.jpg

Thanks for sharing Mark. It's great to be able to sneak in one last ride of the year when old man winter arrives late!

--G

That was a fun day, we need to do it again, as we didn't have time for Yankee Lane, Banta Road, Santa Fe Road, Lounds Road, Tax School Road, or Trombo/Du Pont Roads.