Nuvi 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks interesting for the price!

Bram Frank, could you comment on this if you please, bearing in mind it's not a whizbang Zumo?

Thanks.

It looks like the track log is limited to 500 points?

"Currently, costco.ca offers shipping in Canada only."

Never mind. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a Nuvi 550 for about 6 months or so now. It works great! Routing (built on the computer) can be a pain until you learn the process (and actually remember it) to get the route loaded and recomputed for the GPS.

There are a few good little programs out there such as ITN Converter that will allow you to build a route (using google maps, bing, mapquest maps, etc) and then save it as a format your GPS can read (works for multiple GPS'). I have no ties with them, just a great (IMO) piece of FREE software!

I've had a Nuvi 550 for about 6 months or so now. It works great! Routing (built on the computer) can be a pain until you learn the process (and actually remember it) to get the route loaded and recomputed for the GPS.
There are a few good little programs out there such as ITN Converter that will allow you to build a route (using google maps, bing, mapquest maps, etc) and then save it as a format your GPS can read (works for multiple GPS'). I have no ties with them, just a great (IMO) piece of FREE software!
Thanks I'll try that when it comes. No Zumo but it will get me out of the backwoods of Maine this spring. I figured for the money a few might pick it up.

Garmin's soon-to-be-released Zumo 220 is based on the Nuvi 550 platform. This is something I've been aware of for about six months now, but have not been able to mention.

Having said that, the Nuvi 550 is a pretty stripped device, though it is waterproof and as such is motorcycle-friendly.

Like all of the newer units, the Nuvi 550 has the limited street detail and lack of upcoming cross street information that has bugged me so much in my Zumo 660 - I NEED to be able to zoom out a bit while riding in the country to see what interestingly squiggly roads might be lurking ahead of me - you just can't do that in the new GUI. This isn;t specific to the Nuvi 550.

The Nuvi 550 has no audio output connector. It has no FNM transmitter. It has no Bluetooth. So it has no MP3 player, no cell phone support and you can;t get anno0uncements out byond the loudspeaker without drilling a hole and installing a headphone jack.

And that is this model's biggest drawback.

It DOES do routes. Ten of them on board and up to 500 favorites.

It is relatively inexpensive, so if you don;t mid not having lane assist and such (but it does display speed limits in the USA), then this is a decent little device.

Since none of these is sunlight readable in the sense that the GPSMAP 378 is, you have other alternatives to consider;

For my money, however, I might prefer to go for a more mature unit that does a bit more and costs less because it is in the twilight. I might carry a baggie (or by an AquaBox) and plop a Nuvi 760 on my ride and put the $100 I'd save in my pocket. That'd give me the key features I'd otherwise not have (Upcoming Cross Streets and proper zoomed out detail) or you can trade off the display fetaures for the ability to sync your navigator with your Bluetooth helmet by buying a 765WT. That come with a traffic receiver for the extra money it will cost.

But that's just my opinion - and you know what they say about opinions; They're worth what you pay for 'em (unless it is coming from a Lawyer, in which case you got robbed) and, like a**holes, everyone has one.

Thanks Bram!

I appreciate your comments, but alas, Costco of Canada wouldn't ship me one anyway.

I'm currently using a C330 on the bike, so even this would be an upgrade.

If Costco Canada has a deal and you know someone up here, you could always get them to order it for you and to trans-ship. But then you'd have to pay our usurious taxes on the purchase (5% and 7.5% on top of that) and double freight.

If Costco Canada has a deal and you know someone up here, you could always get them to order it for you and to trans-ship. But then you'd have to pay our usurious taxes on the purchase (5% and 7.5% on top of that) and double freight.
Or... since Costco.ca prices include shipping, have it sent to an Albertan (only 5% tax) and pick it up at CFR in June (or have that Albertan ship it domestic UPS when he runs down to Montana to pick up the stuff he ordered from the US!) :-D

For my money, however, I might prefer to go for a more mature unit that does a bit more and costs less because it is in the twilight. I might carry a baggie (or by an AquaBox) and plop a Nuvi 760 on my ride and put the $100 I'd save in my pocket. That'd give me the key features I'd otherwise not have (Upcoming Cross Streets and proper zoomed out detail)
I did a search based on that recommendation and found a new Nuvi 760 for $179

I bought the Nuvi 550 about 4 months ago. I love it. Battery is removable so therefore, replaceable! When fully charged it will last 6-8 hours! You can take it off the bike and use it for hiking and such. $239 at Fry's Electronics in Houston, TX. Route planning on the unit is prety good. Shows speed limits and shows your speed all the time also. It has this neat little arrow that always points north if you have it set to "up is your direction you are heading." Put it to a test on the waterproof claim... unintentional... and it did great in a pretty heavy rain for 45 minutes.

The RAM holder for it is very secure!!!!!

Over all... very good for use on the bike! Just can't see spending over 3 x's as much for the Zumo.

:yahoo:

I did a search based on that recommendation and found a new Nuvi 760 for $179
I've been practicing with my nüvi before a big trip next week and the voice directions keep cutting out. It doesn't go completely silent; it's more broken up.

Is that normal?

I am about to pull the trigger on the Nuvi 765. It does dual bluetooth like the Zumo it will sync your phone and your BT headset.

$220ish new, 180ish refurb. Buy a waterproof housing, or don't get it wet! ;)

(Edit: To thank Bram on this recommendation)

The Nuvi 550 has no audio output connector. It has no FNM transmitter. It has no Bluetooth. So it has no MP3 player, no cell phone support and you can;t get anno0uncements out byond the loudspeaker without drilling a hole and installing a headphone jack.
Very insightful info. Is it possible to add a jack to Garmin products without wrecking them?