Nuvi and RAM mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingz06

Reaction score
I have a nuvi 750 in my car that i would like to occasionally use on my bike. I bought a direct wire hookup to my fuze block. Also ordered RAM mount.

Now that part that ticks me off is the Nuvi 750 has to use the adaptor between the power plug and the Nuvi itself. Of course that does not fit in my RAM mount. You call Garmin and they give you this BS about you need to buy a motorcycle specific garmin yada yada yada.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks!

I have a nuvi 750 in my car that i would like to occasionally use on my bike. I bought a direct wire hookup to my fuze block. Also ordered RAM mount.
Now that part that ticks me off is the Nuvi 750 has to use the adaptor between the power plug and the Nuvi itself. Of course that does not fit in my RAM mount. You call Garmin and they give you this BS about you need to buy a motorcycle specific garmin yada yada yada.

Thanks!
No experience with the Nuvi 750, but my Nuvi 780 uses the cradle for power also (the power cable plugs into the cradle). The Nuvi 780 RAM mount was designed with enough space for the cradle as well.

Thanks!
No experience with the Nuvi 750, but my Nuvi 780 uses the cradle for power also (the power cable plugs into the cradle). The Nuvi 780 RAM mount was designed with enough space for the cradle as well.
This^

My 755t fits in the RAM mount with the cradle attached. Just detach it from the windshield mount ball, and put the whole thing in the RAM mount.

I have the Nuvi 760 and the set up works great! The only difference is that I use the standard cigarette lighter power cable.

I took a look online at an image of the direct wire cable. It looks to me like whether you are using the direct wire or the cigarette lighter power plug, the end that plugs into the Nuvi is the same. Therefore, the power cable plugs into the Nuvi cradle and the cradle snaps to the unit itself. Just as puppy said, the RAM mount allows space for the craddle.

By adaptor, I'm assuming you are referring to the craddle. Therefore, the RAM mount should have room for the craddle (adaptor) to snap into the RAM mount, as the RAM craddle mount is the same for the entire Nuvi 700 series.

The only drawback for me using the Nuvi is the fact it is not waterproof. Other than that, it's perfect for motorcycle use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Nuvi 760 and the set up works great! The only difference is that I use the standard cigarette lighter power cable.
I took a look online at an image of the direct wire cable. It looks to me like whether you are using the direct wire or the cigarette lighter power plug, the end that plugs into the Nuvi is the same. Therefore, the power cable plugs into the Nuvi cradle and the cradle snaps to the unit itself. Just as puppy said, the RAM mount allows space for the craddle.

By adaptor, I'm assuming you are referring to the craddle. Therefore, the RAM mount should have room for the craddle (adaptor) to snap into the RAM mount, as the RAM craddle mount is the same for the entire Nuvi 700 series.

The only drawback for me using the Nuvi is the fact it is not waterproof. Other than that, it's perfect for motorcycle use.
I used a right angle mini usb connector for mine wired into the power supply extracted from an old usb cellphone charger, seems to supply the right amount of voltage, note I have not connected the nuvi to it yet as I am still deep in the throws of electrical farkelitis :dribble: so I cannot confirm this setup works 100%. I did tests on the bench and got good results.

A aquabox solves el problemo of waterproofing.

DB

I used a right angle mini usb connector for mine wired into the power supply extracted from an old usb cellphone charger, seems to supply the right amount of voltage, note I have not connected the nuvi to it yet as I am still deep in the throws of electrical farkelitis :dribble: so I cannot confirm this setup works 100%. I did tests on the bench and got good results.

DB
I tried the mini USB connector method. However, it put my Nuvi 780 into PC connect mode and it would refuse to come out of it as long as it sensed the USB connection. So, I gave up on that and went with direct power.

I use a Nuvi 750 and had the same problem. I bought a air vent mount that had the correct size Garmin ball for the cradle and attached to a bracket I made. When I swap between car and bike I use cradle and car charger that came with the unit.

DSC07507.jpg

DSC07509.jpg

I thought you could use a phone charger to the USB port as well without having to use the cradle.

Will

I use a Nuvi 750 and had the same problem. I bought a air vent mount that had the correct size Garmin ball for the cradle and attached to a bracket I made. When I swap between car and bike I use cradle and car charger that came with the unit.
DSC07507.jpg

DSC07509.jpg

I thought you could use a phone charger to the USB port as well without having to use the cradle.

Will
you can but the USB connection will only run the GPS - it will not charge it while in use.

DB
I tried the mini USB connector method. However, it put my Nuvi 780 into PC connect mode and it would refuse to come out of it as long as it sensed the USB connection. So, I gave up on that and went with direct power.
I also use my Nuvi 720 on a ram-mount with a right angle mini USB adapter. Try another USB adapter. Some of them are wired differently for data transfer as well as power.