Odometer Malfunction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turvy

Reaction score
Started up the bike this morning for my commute and noticed that both trip meters were showing. (I don't usually have the display set that way) I had filled up with gas and reset trip meter #1 to 0 before parking it, and it was now showing 345 miles....strange. So I reset it then changed to my usual display of trip #1 and odometer. To my surprize, the odometer was showing 56,095 miles...a jump of 21,000 miles ahead of where it should be. As an IBA member I'd like to say that I have that many miles on my 05, but I would prefer that it was accurate. Not to mention I'll take this as a hint that other electronic problems may be on the horizon.

This was not a reset that has been mentioned before on the forum due to a low battery, but a definate error.

Any ideas as to why this happened and how I might be able to roll it back to where it should be?

Thanx in advance.

It sounds like, instead of resetting the top trip meter to 0, you switched the odo from miles to kilometers. I've done that. Go back to the garage and see if it's showing km.

I'd say you're right with that one Squeeze.

The conversion is just too close to be something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is indeed a cosmic coincidence that 34,800 miles = 56,000 kilometers, a difference of ~ 21,000 ;)

OK, Thank you for the quick replies!

I just stepped outside to check, and that is the the problem.

I feel a little silly now thank you! :blush:

Happened to me once, don't know how, and I didn't catch it until my trip meter, which I use for fuel range, was up around 270 and I still had 3 bars on the gauge. I knew I wasn't getting 70 miles per gallon, so . . . . .

Never even noticed the 70-some thousand on the main odo right below it!

i would have said that it was an elf who took your bike for a midnight ride but what do i know :huh:
:p
That is one DAMN fast Iron Butt Elf! Think even Warchild would have trouble keeping up with that!

But really, it must have been the elf that changed it to metric. I couldn't possibly make that mistake now can I?

OK, Thank you for the quick replies!
I just stepped outside to check, and that is the the problem.

I feel a little silly now thank you! :blush:
Good thing Dude, that'd be hell on resale value. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You!

I'm sitting here in front of this damn computer, fighting off an abscess in a molar - unable to ride, and feeling more than a little sorry for myself.

This is the first really good laugh I've had in the past four days!

I, too, love an easy fix!

Don