Odyssey batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
In the Dec. issue of MCN there is a consumer tip on page 5 about Odyssey batteries. The author claims that this battery will last 8-12 yrs as opposed to 3-5 yrs of a normal battery. Also it has a shelf life of two yrs instead of about 3 months for a normal battery.

Has anyone had any experience using this battery , also what model fits the FJR.

Thanks

Mac

I used an Odyssey in my BMW R1100RT for about 6 years and it was still going strong when I traded for the FJR. I know a few others with similar good experince.

The Odyssey website does not show which model fits the FJR; in fact, they don't show it fitting any Yamahas built after 1999.

A little research and maybe a phone call to Odyssey could answer the question.

I have heard nothing but good things concerning the Odyssey batteries, but when I investigated their website, couldn't find a match for the FJR. That was a while ago so maybe there is an application now. (have since bought a WESTCO and am happy with it so far)

Looking at Wescos web site and the size of their FJR battery I don't see any batterys on Odysseys web site the same size.

I've used Odysseys on my C10 and Nighthawk S and love them, w/ one exception.

The Odysseys do not seem to like being hooked to a Battery Tender (a BT Junior in my case).

I have had the only two warranty claims He has seen according to my local Odyssey dealer. Both in the spring, after having the BT connected over the winter. The bike (Connie) would start up initially, after disconnecting the charger, but the batteries would not maintain the charge and even failed to start the bike at a fuel stop, on one occasion after about an hour on the road.

Both times the batteries tested bad, at the dealer, and were replaced, at no cost. (that's two replacements in three years on one purchase, gotta love a good warranty)

Now I just skip the BT and have had no trouble even after as much as 12 - 15 weeks of non use in a barely heated garage (I keep it from freezing, but not by much)

I've got a PC625 in my Powrachute PC2000 Powered Parachute that is only a few months old, and I'm having trouble keeping it charged. As posted up above, it doesn't take well to trickle chargers. It calls for at least 6-7 amp chargers that put out between 13.2 and 14.7 volts, and of course, my damn charger is putting out 15+, so now I have to buy another charger. Hoping the battery is not a defect.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Wow, at close to 3x the price of a wet battery, is it really worth it?

I have two PC680s in my airplane. The first one I owned died after about 3 years. Regrettably, it discharged pretty low and I basically killed it. (My bad :( )

Evidently these dry cell batteries don't take well to getting below about 8 volts... they tend not to recover.

In an aircraft, you can't beat a non-spillable battery. And the shelf life is reported to be as much as TEN years! More and more people are using these "milspec" batteries for many purposes.

BTW, my airplane (and many others) is putting about 14 amps into the battery and it seems to do fine. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a battery minder that trickle charges them, too, and it seems to work fine.

YMMV!

I've been using an odessey battery in my 1980 kz1300 for 5 years. Highly recommended on the kz1300.com website. Never had any trouble out of it. I don't like not being able to use a battery tender on it though. But ,with 5 years of good service maybe it doesn't need it. They are avalible in my area at Batteries Plus stores. Some models come with a metal jacket on them for those of you who crash a lot. :)

Personally, I don't think an Odyssey is any better (or worse) than other similar AGM batteries. But I don't get MCN, so I can't speak to this "consumer tip".

- Mark

If you figure out how to jam one of the current Odyssey's that's 12AH or better into the FJR battery compartment, please post the pictures, cause I'd like to see your ingenuity.

Anybody with recent experience with the Odyssey.

Nobody will ship other batteries to Alaska.

I have heard that these can go by USPO. Any comments

Latest posts