OEM Gel Seat & Touring Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshort

Reaction score
Hey folks.. question:

I've yet to pick up my FJR but I'm looking to buy the OEM gel seat and touring windshield.. anybody have opinions on these two items? I'm trying to buy as much as possible directly for Yamaha..

Should I just wait and see.. ?

Sally thought the gel pillion was too firm for any distance riding and preferred the regular seat. I noticed the gel seat was more firm than the regular, and was perhaps marginally more comfortable. I recall some posts where the rider complained about the gel seats being too hard, and some posts that said it started out too hard but got better with age.

For cost benefit you might look for someone selling theirs first.

Can't speak to the seat but I recently installed the OEM touring screen and love it. Wind noise is down about 90% and the buffeting is gone. For reference, I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam and ride with the seat in the lower position.

Over the years, I've heard a few reviews that like the Yami touring shield but it seems like most didn't like it.

I've never tried one based on mixed reviews. But I hated the stock shield when it was raised because the buffeting was horrible. I do run a Vstream for winter use and a Cee Bailey +2 higher flip shield for most of the year. Both offer greatly reduced buffeting when raised up and good wind blocking (more to the side with the Vstream). On those rare super hot weeks, I put on the stock shield that I cut down a few inches and run it all the way down for max airflow.

Had a gel seat on my cruiser for the bride, she liked it until I had the seat redone..sold that...

Touring windshield... Love it... OEM was to short... Still have the Cee Bailey that I didnt really care for..

I picked up a used OEM Gel Seat to bridge the gap between the stock seat and a custom seat. I initially thought it was hard but it felt better as the rides got longer. The gel must have some thermal properties or something because I always find it hard a first and on short trips, but definitely more comfortable than stock on long rides. I prefer the stock seat for running around town.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I think I'm going to go ahead and get both. Bike is leaving our warehouse today.. hope to have it assembled / PDI'd in 2 weeks.

For me the Gel seat is a lot nicer. 2500 miles the weekend before last and I feel pretty good. Probably still get a Russell in the future, but getting less imperative. Seat is an inch or two higher than the stock seat so it really helps out my bad knees.

There are a lot of options for windshields, I would look for other options than the Yamaha shield. I tried out a V-stream and it was very nice but wasn't tall enough for me,I'm 6'8". I ended up with a Rifle and it is nice but liked the the V-stream better than the riser block that comes with the Rifle.

Good luck with your new bike, you're going to love it.