OEM Heated Grips and V-Strom Hand Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
Does anyone have V-Strom hand guards and OEM heated grips on a Gen II?

Currently, I have BMW grips which are shorter than the OEM grips so there was plenty of room for the hand guards to fit between the ends of the grips and the aftermarket bar-end weights. That space will disappear when I return to OEM-length grips and I want to know if it will interfere with the throttle operation.

Any AE owners out there with the hand guards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have V-Strom hand guards and OEM heated grips on a Gen II?
Currently, I have BMW grips which are shorter than the OEM grips so there was plenty of room for the hand guards to fit between the ends of the grips and the aftermarket bar-end weights. That space will disappear when I return to OEM-length grips and I want to know if it will interfere with the throttle operation.

Any AE owners out there with the hand guards?

I have installed OEM grips on my "07 Clutcher. The grip on the starboard (throttle) side is longer than the stock, and also longer than the port side. I have a set of the V-Strom grips that I have not installed yet. On a first look, it appears the right side may have to be be bent or modified somehow in order for the mounting points to line up. I'm not sure yet. It looks like there may be an issue that will mean it is not a totally straightforward install. I will try to report back when I get serious about trying to put them on. In the meantime I am trying to find a set of Triumph Tiger handguards. They only attach at one point and don't have the attachment outboard of the grip. They may work better than the V-Strom version.

paulie

I have installed OEM grips on my "07 Clutcher. The grip on the starboard (throttle) side is longer than the stock, and also longer than the port side. I have a set of the V-Strom grips that I have not installed yet. On a first look, it appears the right side may have to be be bent or modified somehow in order for the mounting points to line up. I'm not sure yet. It looks like there may be an issue that will mean it is not a totally straightforward install. I will try to report back when I get serious about trying to put them on. In the meantime I am trying to find a set of Triumph Tiger handguards. They only attach at one point and don't have the second attachment outboard of the grip. They may work better than the V-Strom version.

paulie

I inserted a spacer between the handle bar and bar end to accommodate my V-Strom guards on the throttle side and have no interference at all. I can't imagine the heated grips being any different.

I just found the OEM grips that I'd removed when I installed the BMW grips. I compared them to the OEM Heated Grips and found them to be the same size. Therefore, putting a washer or two between the handlebars and the bar-end weights should leave the gap that I want for the hand guards.

I just found the OEM grips that I'd removed when I installed the BMW grips. I compared them to the OEM Heated Grips and found them to be the same size. Therefore, putting a washer or two between the handlebars and the bar-end weights should leave the gap that I want for the hand guards.

Bill ,I just put a set of DRZ400S bar end weights on my FJR and the hand guards snap right on ,out on the outer ends.