OEM Rear Shock Specifications

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YooperDick

Reaction score
Last year I took a ride on my friends '07 FJR and was hooked.

With an '08 on order, I started to get into some of the nuts and bolts of the bike and have run into an obstacle regarding the rear shock. Regretfully, I weigh 300# and am concerned the spring on the shock is a 'one size fits all'. Does anyone know the spring rate of this shock and if there are any different rated springs available from Yamaha? If not, can someone recommend a shock shop that can affect a spring swap. I realize there is a pre-load adjustment on the shock but I don't want to upset the geometry of the bike or reduce the travel of the shock. The good folks at GPS suggested I upgrade to a Penske but I'm reluctant to scrap a brand new shock.

All considered responses other than losing weight are welcome. :rolleyes:

IMHO you're going to have to get rid of the stock setup.Don't think there's different springs for it. An aftermarket shock set up for your weight will transform the bike. I weight abt 200 & the change to a Penske set for my weight from GPS was a major upgrade to the handling & ride.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The load rating on the FJR is around 440#, so adjusting the shock to the upper settings should get you by for a while. I ride 2-up all the time and I still find the stock equipment adequate, but just adequate. I will need to replace the pegs next summer. I did add shorter dog bones to raise the back up a little, gets my sag to near normal with Sally and me on board. But I do dream of riding to Traxxion some day...

Do a search for Penske or Wilburs or Traxxion, sources of upgrade suspension parts. Penske seems to be a favorite here, and you will be upgrading I am sure.

I have dealt with Lee Spitler of Traxxion for parts for my FZ-1, good people, terrific info and customer service.

You could upgrade and sell your stock shock to someone here on the board at a discount...atleast you would get some money for it.

Some people here don't have the cash to upgrade to Penske so might like a stock shock from you. I know I used other people's stock shock castaways when they upgraded.

The stock shock tends to only last about 15,000 miles and is non-rebuildable. At 300# I would expect a shorter life for yours. If you can I recommend upgrading and selling your new stock shock.

Rear shock specs?

It sucks.

For your weight, I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket shock, whether it be Penske, Ohlins, Wilbers, ect........

I give you my personal guarantee, that it will be worth every penny.

YD,

Kinda in your same shoes. While I don't say I'm over weight, I like to say I'm "full figured".

I'm in a position where I get to associate with many young Flight Attendants an I can tell them that " the shadow of my ass weighs more than they do".

Anyway on to the shock, I have a 07' FJR, best bike of the many I have owned. When I first got the bike it was very easy to plop up on the center stand. It wasn't until I got a new Penske Triple Clicker did I realize how much and how fast the stock shock had degraded. I have always been in a position of modifing almost all of vehicles I have, but this shock mod was easily one of the best improvements I made. GP takes your specifications and will customize a shock for you, your riding characteristics.

And obviously they know what they are doing.

I just sent in my forks for a rebuild, at the young age of 6300~ miles, based on how much I was impressed by the improvement of my bike from the shock install.

I would be absolutely suprised if anyone would say they liked the the stock shock better than a Penske.

Regardless of rider mass.

Best of luck!

I'm 265 with a 120 pounds of gear in rally mode and the stock shock makes a great backup shock when my Wilbers is in getting serviced. The stock shock is disposable, good for about 15K for the full figured folks, and not worth upgrading. Aftermarket shocks are spendy, but very worthwhile.

I suppose it would depend on what kind of riding you do. If you aren't taking the bike to any extremes, the stock shock (at the hard setting) would probably work okay/acceptablly for you. I would give that a try first; you can always upgrade/change your shock after you evaluate the ride. I would also pay attention to the air pressure you use; a lot of members prefer around 40 psi (front and rear).

Thanks for all the candid replies.

Last year I upgraded the front and rear OEM shocks on my '03 BMW 1150RT with Ohlins because the ride was getting pretty spongy after 18,000 miles. I am a true believer in the benefits of after-market shocks. The bike never held the road or cornered better.

I'm looking forward to making a comparison with the FJR. I know the power of the FJR exceeds that of the RT. However, a fair test for handling and comfort will initially be pretty difficult since putting the Ohlins and a Russell Day-Long on the RT.

Oh well, once again, thanks for the opinions and recommendations. I'm sure I will be upgrading to some after-market shock in the future once I get some experience. I'm also sure I will love the FJR as much as I do the RT, if not more.

This board is a great resource for the FJR owner.

You can buy a stiffer replacement spring for the OEM rear shock. Hyperpro make one. It is sold by the FJ and FJR owners club in the UK and you can at least get some info from their website if you wish. (https://www.fjclub.co.uk/) You have to be a member to actually buy from them but I'm sure there are plenty of other sources in the US. You could fit shorter dogbones as well this will (I think) give the shock an easier time. You can get these on Ebay. There is nothing wrong with the OEM shock other than it is a bit undersprung. Mine is at 55,000km and still seems to work fine.

Thank you for the follow-up.

I learned there is a Hyperpro representative in the U.S. run by a fellow named Klaus Huenecke. Klaus previously was the U.S. rep for Wilbers but they decided to part company for unspecified reasons. According to their web site, they have springs to accommodate up to 150kg which would be perfect for me.

The folks on the BMW Sport Touring board seem to have a great deal of respect for him. I'll send him an e-mail and see what he can do. Keeping the selectable feature provided on the OEM shock assembly would be a real plus if it is possible.

Isn't this a great board?