OEM Yamaha Gel Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutha1300

Reaction score
I'm considering a seat other than stock for my '07 AE.. About 200+ miles and my arse is ready for some Prep-H..

I talked with AZrider, he still likes his.. (OEM Yamaha Gel seat)..

Anyone else tried this seat? Opinions??

I might just have to crack the wallet a little wider and get a Russell, Mayer, etc..

Thanks..

yamahaseat.jpg

I've never tried it, but have heard from others that the Gel Seats (any kind) hold too much heat after they've been in the sun awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like it. Go for the Russell, you'll be happier in the long run.

I didn't like it. Go for the Russell, you'll be happier in the long run.
Thanks for the replies.. When riding on a Russell do you still feel comfortable in the twisties?

Are you still able to move forward towards the tank when leaning while feeling as if you are still in control?

0207_zoom2002_yamaha_fjr1300front_r.jpg

Thanks again..

I've got a Russel and a Yam Gel. The gel isn't as bad for me as most people make it out to be, maybe it's because my butt is 'husky'. And, the Russel isn't the end all be all for me either, maybe it's because my butt is 'husky'. I touch the ground better on the gel, so that is the seat I use for local tooling around, and stop and go. However, the Russel seems to keep me planted in the seat, like putting a cue ball on a wine glass, or a beach ball in a basketball hoop... yea, beach ball, that's more like it.

One day maybe I'll take the 3,000 mile trek to Cali to get 'altered', but until then, I switch up about 50-50 between them.

The Gel seat isn't bad. It looks much better than the stock and is definitely more comfortable. It is, however, quite hard under the gel and will raise you about and inch or so (inseam challenged: beware). If you like the twisties you will be happy with it, but you won't like it for long distances. Your butt WILL hurt after 100 miles or so. It is priced right ($299 from UM). Not a bad deal IMHO. Sam

Firm is better than soft in LD comfort. The stock seat or most any stock seat is too soft which translates into butt burn after only a few miles. They make the seats soft so they feel comfortable in the showroom when the prospective buyer is trying out the sitting position and it is cheaper to manufacture one type of soft foam seat. A good seat has a firm open cell base with a medium open cell layer then thin soft open cell or closed cell on top or a gel or Pudgee type closed cell. I've made my own seats and other's on the board have altered their own by cutting out the foam area where one sits on the stock seat and installed their own gel or Pudgee or some closed cell type foam with good success. But if you want the seat that works without the hassels but will have to pay some more, go for the Russell, you won't be sorry in the long run and they will make the seat anyway you like it. PM. <>< :D

I bought a couple seats last year and recently been experimenting with different substitute foams. I tried a foam from a local sewing shop, way too soft, was damn near down on the pan. Then off to the carpet store, and they gave me 3 different weights of padding. I think I hit it on the last try as the seat is a little firmer than stock now, but havent had a good long ride on it yet. At any rate it feels better at 100 miles than the stocker. BTW, I didn' take off all the stock foam, just tried to keep the cut as level as possible.

I just ran a short (200 Mile) ride with Jorstin through the twisties here in San Diego along the border and up through the Lagunas stopping in Julian and coming back out again in Escondido then dropping back home. My Russell day long did well and my arse is very happy right now. It handles well in the twisties and I never noticed it being a problem. If you have the extra change, or down time on the bike and can send in your stock seat, go for the Russell, you wont regret it. :)

I didn't care for the Yamaha seat. The gel does a good job of isolating vibration, but with a skinny butt like mine, the shape was wrong. I need more support for my thighs, or a contour that cups me more.

There is a heat rention deal with the gel as has been mentioned. Don't park it in the sun.

I have alwys agreed with the statement Painman made. You want firmer, more consistent support for longer rides, but my personal anatomy needs the proper shape, too. The Yammie seat just didn't fly. 2 hours max.