Ohlin Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ostee874

Reaction score
I missed the Wilbur shock group buy - Does any one have any experience with the Ohlin shock as compared to stock vs Wilbur vs Ohlin?

What was the price of the Wilbur with the group buy (so I can compare the current price from Gary @ University with what everyone else paid)?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat and have the same question. I guess I really don't care what the group buy price was for Wilbers, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer opinions on the Ohlins. I've always used Progressive and liked their stuff, but they got nuttin' for the FJR, I checked. Also looking for who makes the best progressive wound fork springs.

Never heard of Wilbers until reading this forum. Dunno what to think of their stuff, or how their stuff compares to brands I've used or heard more about.

Here goes, knock yourself out ;)

Wilbers Group Buy

Somewhere in there you'll find the reasons why the Wilbers shocks were chosen over Ohlins, Penske etc.

I checked my records and, thanks to the GB, I bought a Wilbers #641 shock with remote preload (option #625) and adjustable ride height (#629) plus progressive fork springs at a grand total of $935 incl. shipping.

The retail price on this combo would have been $1,154 plus shipping.

Incidentally, the Wilbers shock is outstanding :boss:

Stef

Hmmmmmm. Let's see. An Ohlins at SportbikeEffects.com, with the forum discount is $886.50. I think that there are few people who would disagree that Ohlins is the top suspension manufacturer.

I did ask my suspension tuner what he thought of the Wilbers, but he could not offer an opinion, as it is a brand that he had not heard of.

I think that there are few people who would disagree that Ohlins is the top suspension manufacturer.
I don't think I would disagree that they are one of the top suspension manufacturers, but I won't not really say that are the top suspension manufacturers. I would place them right up there with Wilbers, Penske, White Power and a few others, though. Ohlins makes some killer hardware, no doubt about it.

And that's a pretty decent price if it comes with a custom spring (rated specifically for the buyer), which I ASSume it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, thanks for the info!

Seeing that Wilbers is made in Germany lends some credibility, since their stuff is usually quite good. Most posts I've seen in the past said people liked them. But that's subjective, and seeing the hard parts in living color with the various options really helps.

@BikeEffects - I was originally interested in Ohlins by seeing your 10% discount post and looking at the Ohlins on your site. A very fair price on a top notch product. Are there any progressive fork springs available, through Ohlins or other brands, from SportbikeEffects.com? I'm really interested in changing both ends at once, since past experience tells me that changing one end of a bike just highlights how much the other end still sucks. It would be convenient to buy both products from the same supplier, if possible. And even better if they're made by the same manufacturer for the same bike, since they are then matched to each other AND the rider/passenger/luggage load.

Seeing that Wilbers is made in Germany lends some credibility, since their stuff is usually quite good.
There were over 360 combined orders between shock absorbers and fork springs during the Wilbers Group Buy earlier this year. As most all who participated will attest, the Wilbers hardware is byond outstanding......

640-625Components.jpg

FJRTech: Installing the WILBERS Shock Absorber

And that's a pretty decent price if it comes with a custom spring (rated specifically for the buyer), which I ASSume it does.

It comes custom sprung for the riders weight. It took about 4 weeks to get mine, custom sprung from Sweden. Worth the wait!

@BikeEffects - I was originally interested in Ohlins by seeing your 10% discount post and looking at the Ohlins on your site. A very fair price on a top notch product. Are there any progressive fork springs available, through Ohlins or other brands, from SportbikeEffects.com? I'm really interested in changing both ends at once, since past experience tells me that changing one end of a bike just highlights how much the other end still sucks. It would be convenient to buy both products from the same supplier, if possible. And even better if they're made by the same manufacturer for the same bike, since they are then matched to each other AND the rider/passenger/luggage load.
I have Ohlins fork springs available. I'll try and get some pricing up on my site tomorrow. Too many things to do before Laguna Seca!

FWIW, I have quite a few miles on my new shock and have not found a need for fork spring replacement, but that is me. They are doing the job fine. The rear is where the bike needed lots of help.

there are plenty of good shocks out there. any of them are worlds better than the OE shocks. I didn't have much of a problem with my stock shock till I put a few more miles on mine (currently about 7k). I have an ohlins on one of my track bikes, had a penske on another one, and have had Fox in the past. From waht I've seen the Wilburs is made very well so it should be great addition to your bike if you are riding it a bit harder. I know will have to do something better with the rear of the bike soon...

for me it will come down to price and adjustability. Id' like ride height adjustment but not sure how much of a difference that will be on the FJR.. ;) would be nice to have more clearance since you can't just go slap on a set of woodcraft/CFM rearsets.. :D

Jeff

Bike Effects,

Is the discount that is available to this board for FJR products only? I am getting ready to set the R1 up for the track and would like to put Ohlins on the back and front.

Bike Effects,
Is the discount that is available to this board for FJR products only? I am getting ready to set the R1 up for the track and would like to put Ohlins on the back and front.
Any product on my web site, as long as the total of all purchases is over $50.00. If you can't find something, give us a call.

Off to Laguna!

I can't help but wonder, why can Yamaha offer the Olhins on their snowmobiles and not make it an option on the FJR (seeing as we pre order them). Just food for thought.

Hmmmmmm. Let's see. An Ohlins at SportbikeEffects.com, with the forum discount is $886.50. I think that there are few people who would disagree that Ohlins is the top suspension manufacturer.
I did ask my suspension tuner what he thought of the Wilbers, but he could not offer an opinion, as it is a brand that he had not heard of.
Hey Bikeeffects, Did your price of the Ohlins shock go up since this?

I see it is $1040 now with 10% discount would bring it to $936.

Also, at what point does your website ask about the riders weight/gear totals?

Hey Bikeeffects, Did your price of the Ohlins shock go up since this?

I see it is $1040 now with 10% discount would bring it to $936.
The price did, in fact, go up. It refects an increase in the price that I pay.

Also, at what point does your website ask about the riders weight/gear totals?
There is only a place to leave that information in the remarks. Where that info is left there or not, any purchaser would expect to get a call from me to make sure there is no mistakes.