ohlin shocks 2 -up plus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87Doodle

Reaction score
I did a search, and I didn't find an answer to my question which is as follows:

I am 6'2 240 lbs and my Fiancee is 5'3 120 lbs, and I have a Givi topcase, run with bags an an RKA tankbag, which totals up into a whole lotta weight. We ride an 05 with 11,000 miles on the OEM shocks

When we are on the smooth stuff, no worries, but side streets or country roads with uneven surfaces due to frost heaves, or aged conditions, or poor grading will result in a harsh ride. By harsh I mean, she can feel the bumps, and it wallows in between, until the next 'bump'. I can lift my butt of the seat a little to help, but she gets it bad.

Will an aftermarket shock remedy this condition? If so, is there a shock that is designed for this type of 'payload', or is the function of the shock to provide better suspension for aggressive riders, which two-up, I am not at all, living under 5, 000 2-up for her level of comfort with the Velocity of the bike. When it's just me, living above 5 whenever prudent and practical.

Need some help here, cause she is going bump, bump, bump, and if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Should I do front suspension and rear if I'm going to do it?

Also if I get the Ohlins what kind of labor charges from a dealer am I looking at?

I know this is a very subjective area, but I will appreciate all feedback.

Thanks.

I am 6'2 240 lbs and my Fiancee is 5'3 120 lbs, and I have a Givi topcase, run with bags .....
I just ordered a Penske shot from Traxxion and Lee asked all kinds of questions about my weight, the wife's weight, my style, % of the time she's on it with me, weight i carry in luggage etc etc. 45 minutes of discussion had me sold. He said they will put the appropriate spring in it and pre-adjust it to be in the ball park for me.

If you call the guys you're buying from, they should ask you all that stuff and set it up for you. If they don't, maybe you should call Lee at Traxxion, I'll be he'd be happy to sell to you. 770-592-3823.

Last edited by a moderator: