Ohlins shocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefcrouch

Reaction score
In addition to my '05 FJR, I have a '00 BMW R1100RT with Ohlins shocks installed (I bought it used and it came with them). The ride on the BMW seems much smoother and more comfortable. The FJR suspension is stiffer and I can feel virtually every pebble and blemish in the road. I don't know if this is a basic difference in the design of the two bikes, or if it is due to the aftermarket Ohlins. So, for those of you that have installed Ohlins on a FJR, did the changeover significantly enhance the ride? And, if so, how? - - handling, comfort, etc.

Suspension upgrades are popular on the Feej, most using Wilbers components purchased in various group buys. It does improve the ride-though the FJR already has a pretty good setup, and yes-depends on settings, but the FJR is oriented toward the sport side of touring, as such is stiffer than what you may be used to. An Ohlins equipped Beemer is hardly a fair comparison however.

My '04 RT had standard shocks and was MUCH smoother riding and settled in the twisties over bumps and undulations than the feejer. This was also due to the tele-lever front suspension, IMHO.

I would not call the feejer "stiffer". The feejer is just plain weak, especially in the front. I can bottom this bike in the garage with two fingers and that's with the adjusters on max. I had to lean ALL my weight on the RT to budge the suspension.

That "softness" might be what allows you to feel every pebble and expansion joint. Now, your weight may have alot to do with that as well(I'm 6'2", 205), but I definetly need the susp upgrade and I'm going with Ohlins springs/shock and heavier weight fork oil.

I have the Öhlins installed on my '03. Disclaimer: I sell the Öhlins so I don't think that you would expect to hear anything bad about it. Having said that, an upgraded shock is, in my opinion, the best thing you can do for the FJR. I have found this to be true on my previous bikes, as I have had aftermarket suspension on every bike I have ever owned, except for the first one.

The fist adavantage getting a shock is to get a shock that is setup for your own weight and riding style. In my case the ride is much more controlled. I am first a sport rider and do thrash the back roads and the bike is just so much more stable in the corners. Increased ground clearance was imediately noticed and apprecaited. The hydraulicly operated preload adjuster is a great feature. If you were going to ride two up, you can easily crank in a little more prelaod. The Öhlins is rebuildable where the stocker is not.

Recently, I swapped bikes with a local forum member here, and he rode my bike. He came back and said that it is a completely different motorcycle.

I see you are "local". You are welcome to try my bike and judge for yourself. Let me know.

I was lucky enough to score a used Ohlins on the board (Thanks rdcyclist).

Fitted it this winter and now have about 6 weeks worth of daily usage.

You lose that slightly wallowing feeling but it still works very well at soaking up bumps.

The real benifit is when you start loading up the bike (Two up/ Touring) or hitting the twisties, the bike just so much more planted. You just enjoy the road that much more running through the sweepers.

Get the remote Hydralic Preload.

Fitting is a 3 hour job, very good documentation.

Chris

I really appreciate the huge difference in the ride with the Ohlins 46PRCS with matching front fork springs and Race-Tech Gold series guts.

I would like to hear what others with similar setups have found to be the best "Click" settings for the rear and front. (Both compression and rebound)