OIL Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLASH G

Reaction score
Does anyone know if an oil change is needed before starting to ride my FJR1300 this spring? I replaced the oil with 100% Synthetic oil just before storing the bike this winter in the garage. In other words there are no miles driven with this oil change and i'm wondering does just time sitting in storage call for an oil change when taking out of storage this spring?

Does anyone know if an oil change is needed before starting to ride my FJR1300 this spring? I replaced the oil with 100% Synthetic oil just before storing the bike this winter in the garage. In other words there are no miles driven with this oil change and i'm wondering does just time sitting in storage call for an oil change when taking out of storage this spring?
as long as you haven't done the "start it up for 5 minutes to keep the battery charged" dance, which could cause condensation. if you truly have not run the engine since you changed the oil, then i'd say it's fine, no reason to change it. i mean, that's why those people out there who know they won't be able to ride for x months in the winter do that, so that come spring they can hop on and go.

dean

cincinnati

as long as you haven't done the "start it up for 5 minutes to keep the battery charged" dance, which could cause condensation. if you truly have not run the engine since you changed the oil, then i'd say it's fine, no reason to change it. i mean, that's why those people out there who know they won't be able to ride for x months in the winter do that, so that come spring they can hop on and go.

dean

cincinnati
Thank you for the quick reply! I think I may have driven it for 10 miles or so. Does that cause condensation enough to want to change it?

A ten mile ride, would in all likelihood, gotten the oil up to operating temperature and burned off any start-up condensation. Your oil would be fine to use as new.

I hate to say this -- but, I've always heard that you should. I think it must be thought that, once out of the container and open to the atmosphere, the oil begins to oxidize?

Here's an excerpt from page 1352 of a Chilton's Motorcycle Manual:

"Storage procedures will depend to some extent on the length of duration and the place where the machine is kept. Some or all of the following precautions (1~11) should be taken:

• 1. Change the engine oil.
  • 11. Before restoring the machine to service.... Change the oil."
As you can imagine, in-between those two are a slew of other things to do for proper storage.I hope you're not sorry you asked.... :unsure: