oil site glass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbur-j

Reaction score
I hope this isn't one of those awful recurring threads. I just changed oil and filter the Pure One filter added the correct amount of oil ran the bike a few moments shut it down waited for oil to come back in site glass and it shows low even sitting over night. Could this be something with the new oil filter? I have always used OEM before. Or am I just being to compulsive.. Add the right amount and forget it. set it and forget it thanks wilbur-j

Well assuming all is well and your on the center stand, level ground. ya need a 'lil' more juice. I just changed mine and it's always 4 quarts and 17 ounces of decayed dino parts.

HTH.

:jester:

Could be a dif in the filter capacity. Dunno for sure, I never used that filter. As the 'Bust said, if all other things are correct, add some oil and forget about it.

IIRC it's a 4.3 quart capacity WITH filter change, and there are short and long filters (2.5 and 3.5 inch lengths). Is it possible that you added just the 4 quart,s and a "long" filter? That might be enough to short you the amount that ain't showing in the portal. I know that some stated they add the full 4 quarts and a bottle of oil additive (STP blue) and that brings the volume to the 'zact amount. Please check the NEPRT or other for specifics..

C

The filter steals some of your oil after you start the motor. This has been going on since they started putting oil filters on engines, way back in the '60s some time. :D

My high school buddy had a '60 Biscayne, straight 6, no oil filter! Had a 1000-mile change interval.

I recall reading here somewhere and have noticed it myself, the FJR has a tendancy to "make" oil. Take it for a long ride, shut it off, let it sit and check the level. Mine mysteriously reads higher. I always leave it a little low at first then add more in a day or two if needed. I don't know why.

The filter steals some of your oil after you start the motor. This has been going on since they started putting oil filters on engines, way back in the '60s some time. :D
My high school buddy had a '60 Biscayne, straight 6, no oil filter! Had a 1000-mile change interval.

That's weird. I had a 57 Chevy that had an oil filter on it.

GP

IIRC it's a 4.3 quart capacity WITH filter change, and there are short and long filters (2.5 and 3.5 inch lengths). Is it possible that you added just the 4 quart,s and a "long" filter? That might be enough to short you the amount that ain't showing in the portal. I know that some stated they add the full 4 quarts and a bottle of oil additive (STP blue) and that brings the volume to the 'zact amount. Please check the NEPRT or other for specifics..
C
4.226753 quarts to be exact. I just round it up tp 4.23. :rolleyes:

GP

could it be he just never found it???? :unsure:

GP
This car was such a stripper that the only available option was a heater, which it did have. I don't mean a seat heater, or an engine block heater, I mean a heater, to blow warm air into the cabin! Tranny was three-on-the-tree. No brake booster, no power steering (5 turns lock to lock!) oil-bath air cleaner, no modern air filter cartridge.

We called this car The Tractor, for the motor. Would have made a nice motor for farm equipment, but wasn't much for a car.

Found this, which is the same car, but in much better condition than I ever saw my friend's car! It has the heater, and even has carpet, which I don't think is right, actually.

P.S. Sorry for the hijack. But I did contribute (sorta) first. Maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even mess with the 0.23 quart anymore. Drain and refill with 4 quarts; my oil level is still, right there, about 1/2 at the site glass.

I don't even mess with the 0.23 quart anymore. Drain and refill with 4 quarts; my oil level is still, right there, about 1/2 at the site glass.

Mine too! Purolator Pure One, 4 qts Rotella 15w40 and the oil level shows in the middle of the sight glass.

I used to worry 'bout it (needing another 1/2 qt), but no longer sweat it...life's too short! B)

HTH, JC

Mine too! Purolator Pure One, 4 qts Rotella 15w40 and the oil level shows in the middle of the sight glass.

I used to worry 'bout it (needing another 1/2 qt), but no longer sweat it...life's too short! B)

HTH, JC
Absolutely the way to go! I have been following this procedure since the first oil change and it saves time and a little money since you really don't need to buy that extra quart of oil to use for 4 changes.

I too have found that if you fill it, start it, let it sit, then add to the full mark, the

next day the window mysteriously is comletely filled and I have to drain a little .

So now I fill with the amount in the manual, ride it for a day, and top off to the full mark,

which is just a tad more than what the manual says, and the level stays put.

I like to fill right to the top of the glass- might get a little more oil on the clutch discs which can't hurt considering the stacked transmission..