Oil Temperature Guage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing is that it reads in celcius, are you okay with that. Second, the FJR has an oil cooler so unless you need to know the temperature, why bother. (now if you are thinking of farkle factor, well then, go ahead)

I may be stupid here (it's happened before), but I don't see any oil sump under the cap. Unless oil is flowing through this space when the motor is running, how is it going to read the oil temperature?

-BD

I have one on my Bandit, and I think it's really nice to have. The probe gets the oil as a result of the prodigious splashing/slinging of oil off the spinning clutch (try running your engine w/o the filler cap removed one day). Purists would say that it's got to be inaccurate compared to the temps as the oil is entering the cooler. Maybe so, but who cares? The purpose of the gauge is to show a general range, and more importantly, if there's a change in what you normally run at. Oh and I got mine in Farenheit, not that it matters one bit.

However, I had not considered putting one on the FJR as it already has a temperature gauge. The Bandit is oil/air cooled and has no form of temperature gauge.

What do you think of this gadget?
Pierre, you may only prove the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of the FJR's already installed coolant temperature gauge -- since the oil and coolant are (almost) connected in the heat exchanger (oil cooler). On the FJR, the oil temp is (mostly) controlled by the coolant temp (thermostat). It may be possible for the oil temp to vary some: lag behind when cold; or, get a bit hotter under very extreme use -- but not for long. If the oil gets hotter than thermostat set temps, the coolant temp will increase -- courtesy of (and function of) the heat exchanger. Gauge might look cool, tho..... :blink:

I think it's pretty cool, Pierre. Though I guess you won't be reading the gauge at night! :lol:

Like etz suggested, even if the gauge not 100% totally accurate, if it does a decent job of showing trends, that should be enough. I'd like to have one for my Blackbird....

WARNING WARNING

Installation of said device might confuse patrons at the local biker bar into thinking you have a V-twin stuffed under the fairing... :dribble:

I think oil temp is a non-issue on a liguid cooled bike with an oil cooler in the circuit.

If you really want to know the oil temp sometime just get it as hot as you think you can, pull over and shut the motor down, unscrew the oil fill cap and stick a cooking thermometer in there for a bit. That should satisfy your curiosity that the oil temp is OK under harsh conditions. Cheaper, too.