OK Guys (and Gals) what are your thoughts on this

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.paul

Reaction score
My brother showed me this uber cheap JC Whitney top case. From the reviews, it seems like a cheap top case to "get the job done" when ya need it to. For the price, I'm thinking I might pick one up. Not that I plan to ride with it but - ya know - in case "stuff."

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one. The pins fell out in the hinges but other than that it was functional. I gave it away and bought a Givi. Spend the extra and buy quality.

I had one. The pins fell out in the hinges but other than that it was functional. I gave it away and bought a Givi. Spend the extra and buy quality.
Yeah, I usually of the "buy nice or buy twice" mind set, but its such a low price and I don't plan to use it much - save for long trips (I'm toying of the idea of riding to San Diego after NAFO).

On a side note, did you have to do any drilling to get yours to mount up? I read this very last review from a FJR owner:

"Delivered with-in a week and it arrived in new condition. The Trunk's mounting brackets took some minor modifications as only one of the two supplied steel channels that fit under the bike's rear rack would fit so I had to drill some holes in my FJR 1300's rear rack to accept the supplied kit. A much better install because of the nore ridgid connection. After cutting the steel channels and painting them, the install turned out perfect. The trunk looks good and is a bargain. Very happy with this product."

My brother showed me this uber cheap JC Whitney top case. From the reviews, it seems like a cheap top case to "get the job done" when ya need it to. For the price, I'm thinking I might pick one up. Not that I plan to ride with it but - ya know - in case "stuff."
I have one on order... the reviews on it sold me. I feel the same way you do, so what the heck... It should arrive any day now, so I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

Richard

Those aren't big enough to even consider, judging by the shot with the helmet set inside. My Givi E52 will swallow TWO full-faces and a good bit of loose stuff around the edges. I think the side cases that came with your bike are bigger.

The shot of the box itself looks like a real top case, but the shot with the helmet makes it look like a 3/4- or 1/2-scale box.

Those aren't big enough to even consider, judging by the shot with the helmet set inside. My Givi E52 will swallow TWO full-faces and a good bit of loose stuff around the edges. I think the side cases that came with your bike are bigger.The shot of the box itself looks like a real top case, but the shot with the helmet makes it look like a 3/4- or 1/2-scale box.
52L?!?! WTF, man! lol do you keep babies in there? Biggest I was thinking I would want is a 48L case.(Yes, the 4L make ALL the difference in the world :rolleyes: haha)
I have one on order... the reviews on it sold me. I feel the same way you do, so what the heck... It should arrive any day now, so I'll let you know what I think when I get it.Richard
Nice, I can't wait to hear what ya have to say about it.

I have two of these. One detachs on my wife's Suzuki VS800 and the other is used an an "emergency" grocery store run for my H-D Sportster. Both are over two years old and have not fallen apart as of yet. They are not water proof, but I don't ride in the rain on purpose.

As usual, you get what you pay for, but there is a lot of bang for the bucks for my use n these.

52L?!?! WTF, man! lol do you keep babies in there? Biggest I was thinking I would want is a 48L case.(Yes, the 4L make ALL the difference in the world :rolleyes: haha)
I went with the 52 instead of the 48 because I think it looks better than the 48. It's bigger, but looks less bulky to me. Just shaped better, I guess.

DSC02439.jpg

i didn't click on the hyperlink, so not sure if you're referring to the medium-size or large-size, but i bought three of the large boxes for my 2nd fj and modded the already-installed krauser rack to fit the jcw's, to have a givi-wannabe 3-case setup. as these are not givi, and are only advertised as topboxes, and as i had two of them mounted as side cases, i was never at ease with the two side cases. the original plates sent were a hard plastic, and the one for my top box broke. apparently i was not the only one, as within about 6 months they voluntarily sent out replacement steel plates. as someone else mentioned, the screw securing the locking plates soon came loose on one of the side cases, and i had to epoxy it in place, with little room for extra epoxyspooge.

if i were to do it again, except for the fjr, i'd consider it. if your fjr is running smooth, you don't abuse it, and you keep an eye on the box (checking screws, mounting hardware, etc.), you will get your money's worth out of it. in the time you have it, save up your money for the givi, or shad, or whatever else well-made boxes are that people are using for the fjr, so when the jcw box dies, which it will, you'll be ready for the good stuff.

the question was brought up as to the size of the jcw boxes---they're about the same interior size of the fjr's, again i'm referring to the large jcw boxes. however, they seem to hold more, because their shape is rounder, not so angular and boxy as the fjr.

hth,

dean

I tried it, and thought it was ok. Ended up with the Givi (couldn't pass up the deal)... still have this topcase if anyone's interested in it. I did some maintenance to it (some of the screws and washers were just cheaply put in) and added reflective tape behind the fake reflectors and painted the orange strips black.

I ordered 2 of the JCW large trunks originally intending to use them on both my FJR and VFR when touring, which is infrequently. I never got around to using the 2nd one because I later got a color matched Givi for Feejer. But we have used one of them on the VFR and it works just fine.

If anyone is interested in trying one, as I said it is 100% unused and I'll certainly be willing to let it go for less than JCW. Just send me a PM. It does have the current version metal mount, but they also snap right onto any GIVI monokey mount as well. That's how I've used mine on the VFR, with a real GIVI rack.

FWIW, here's some images of the JCW top box that I just painted Cerulean. I actually think it came out quite nice...
That did come out quite nice looking. What did you use for paint? Rattle cans or something better? I have a pair of GIVI E36's for the VFR that I wouldn't mind painting to match the bike.

But I can't believe you didn't replace the silly iron cross logo after the paint job... :rolleyes:

Oh, and that back pad doesn't look like the stock JCW either, is it?

FWIW, here's some images of the JCW top box that I just painted Cerulean. I actually think it came out quite nice...
That did come out quite nice looking. What did you use for paint? Rattle cans or something better? I have a pair of GIVI E36's for the VFR that I wouldn't mind painting to match the bike.

But I can't believe you didn't replace the silly iron cross logo after the paint job... :rolleyes:

That was painted up for a fellow rider. I should have filled the iron cross emblem flat. I used Bulldog adhesion promoter, epoxy primer, Colorrite urethane and then PPG Fast Clear topcoat. The pad is stock and came with the case.

Beautiful, top-notch work, as usual! B)

Maybe it's just the fluorescent lighting, but the last couple photos suggest a pinch of orange peel effect... is this from the epoxy primer, or is it just the nature of the beast from plastic you are painting here? :huh:

That was painted up for a fellow rider. He can decide if he wants the iron cross... :dntknw: I used Bulldog adhesion promoter, epoxy primer, Colorrite urethane and then PPG Fast Clear topcoat. The pad is stock and came with the case.

Yeah, I should have deduced it was not your top box as your FJR is red.

I guess the newer JCW boxes must come with a nicer passenger back rest pads than the ones of yore.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you have to charge someone to paint the lids on two E36 side cases?

Beautiful, top-notch work, as usual! B)
Maybe it's just the fluorescent lighting, but the last couple photos suggest a pinch of orange peel effect... is this from the epoxy primer, or is it just the nature of the beast from plastic you are painting here? :huh:
I just figured it was because the surface being painted is pebble finish plastic. But it's kinda like the new finishes on refrigerators. It don't shine like the sun, but it also won't show finger prints.