Ok ...I need some deep cleaning advice!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostonfan2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My tank has some "rub marks" from the tank bag safety loop, not scratches, but

you cant just wash them off, this bike needs a DEEP clean, would a small buffer

do the trick? I would like to remove all the old wax , all marks and then re-wax,

Ive used the honda wax in the past and it seems ok , any recomendations for

removing old wax and rub marks??

Thanks......Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
3M Rubbing Compound "Professional Formula" part no. 03900 works great for me. Get it at the auto parts store. Works great for boot marks on the bags as well.

fjrchik is a great "deep cleaner". She's going to clean my scoot this week and show me all the tricks of the trade. I am sure she has some tips to help you out.

The 3M is a good suggestion, but first, wash the bike with soap strong enough to take off any wax, then take a clay bar to it. https://www.meguiars.com/ has some good info in their site. The 3M will really fook up a finish if not properly prepared, first.

+1 on being careful with rubbing compounds. They are intended for use by those who know what the hell they're doing, but can be used by a novice if you're CAREFUL! Best advise I can give you:

1. Be careful with product selection - compounds carry different levels of abrasive grit, kinda the same concept as sandpaper but on a smaller scale. For minor scuffs and boot marks, etc. you will want an ultrafine abrasive, not coarse.

2. WORK BY HAND. Machine rubbing can have you burning right through the paint in no time flat if you're not used to it. Besides, a machine is only needed if you're working a large area.

3. Work carefully, rub a little at a time then clean the area to check your work. Keep in mind you are rubbing clearcoat paint off with an abrasive compound. More is not better. Only remove what is needed to hide the defect - no more.

4. Good luck!!

I've buggered more than one paint job with various rubbing compounds. You'd have to try real hard to screw up a paint job with the 3M I mentioned. It's ultra fine, just keep the rag wet.

fjrchik is a great "deep cleaner".  She's going to clean my scoot this week and show me all the tricks of the trade.  I am sure she has some tips to help you out.
great! now everyone is gonna want a deep cleaning. i'll be booked til next year.

no time to do your bike now odot. sides, it can't be dirty - u ride even less than i do!

I'm not sure that a "deep cleaning" appeals to me. But a good hand rubbing sure does!

:rolleyes:

Sorry, just could not resist that one!

Have used 3M Finesse-It II for a multitude of tasks-very light rubbing compound that is perfect for hand rubbing light scratches etc-as well as polishing clear clouded plastic (works nice on my Cee Bailey W/S) and other plastics such as tail lights etc. Not cheap, but a bottle has lasted me 2 years so far, and I use it a lot. Using this stuff, it would be very difficult for a rub through or other compound problems to occur.

FINESSE_.JPG

Was just at the automotive paint store yesterday. Picked up some polishes for plastic and some cleaner. Maguires is good and 3M product probably equally as good. They have an array of compounds for all situations.

One of my other hobbies is restoration of 100+ year old electrical stuff...including original paint. Step one is always to try cleaning with GoJo cream...really. That often does the trick. GoJo CREAM. NOT that orange container. That's pumice.

Steps two through four are to use Meguiar's three-step "Deep Crystal" cleaning "system". That'll bring back just about anything from the dead. Sounds like a hassle to do what amounts to waxing the bike three times in a row, but it usually takes about half an hour, and you've got a high gloss hard wax finish again.

I've also used the 3M product...make CERTAIN you get the one recommended. There'll be at least three very similar looking bottles on the shelf next to each other. Get the wrong one, such as "heavy cut" and you're dead.

WASH THE BIKE BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING...GET THE DIRT OFF. I know that sounds obvious, but "invisible" grit can make instantly visible scratches in clearcoat.

Hey guys,

do the trick? I would like to remove all the old wax , all marks and then re-wax,

Thanks......Ray
I don't go anywhere without my honda polish (spray)

https://powersports.honda.com/the_goods/par...h&TheGoodsDir=3

that and simple green is pretty much everything you will ever need to clean the bike.

Hey guys,

Thanks......Ray
I don't go anywhere without my honda polish (spray)

https://powersports.honda.com/the_goods/par...h&TheGoodsDir=3

that and simple green is pretty much everything you will ever need to clean the bike.
+1!

I have a can that I keep in the luggage. I use it all the time. L8RG8R gave it to me and now it's a must have. Good stuff!

Watch that Simple Green. In full strength, it will strip paint. In fact, I use it as a relatively benign paint stripper.

Simple green will strip wax even when diluted. My trick is to take some car wash concentrate, dilute it 1:1, and put it in a spray bottle. I then spray the surface and let it sit a bit, hose off. If it doesn't come totally clean, a second spray and light washing with a clean sponge will do the trick.

This way you don't strip the wax off the bike!

Have used 3M Finesse-It II for a multitude of tasks-very light rubbing compound that is perfect for hand rubbing light scratches etc-as well as polishing clear clouded plastic (works nice on my Cee Bailey W/S) and other plastics such as tail lights etc. Not cheap, but a bottle has lasted me 2 years so far, and I use it a lot. Using this stuff, it would be very difficult for a rub through or other compound problems to occur.
FINESSE_.JPG
Where did you buy yours Rad?

I've been looking locally for months, trying to find some for my guitar work.