OK, need some new owner advice for FJR please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
I have been told that my new '08 will be ready for pickup on Saturday. This board has been a tremendous help in steering me in the right direction on most things and I swear I have looked around and read as many posts as my old brain can assimulate. There are a few things left though that I just want some updated input on so please excuse me if these seem redundant but I am a new guy and trying to get all my Honda programming un-learned.

1. Frame Sliders? - What are the preferred brands/suppliers. Can you definitely install them without drilling the cowlings?

2. Service Manual? - The one listed on the Yamaha site is $93, there has to be a place to get one for less. I've never paid over $65 for any of the three for my Hondas. I don't want a Clymer or Haynes manual unless I don't have a choice.

3. Highway pegs? - Yes I need them as I have bad knees and need to stretch out once in a while. No I don't want to use the frame sliders to hang my feet over. Who makes them for the FJR and what is the concensus for those who have them?

That's it. I have my dealer checklist, I have already told them to blue lok-tite the locks on the bags. I am good for my aftermarket seat and windshield selection assuming I need them both after I get a few miles on the scoot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are lucky it's not Friday...don't ask. Here you go...

Bolt-on Frame Sliders here.

Service Manual...I recommend the Bin-O-Facts and many of the other posts here, much better than a service manual.

Highway Pegs: Wild Bill...love 'em. I decided to use a set of Kuryakyn pegs rather than the pegs Wild Bill offers.

Thanks Shifter although you have my curiosity piqued about the Friday thing. Do you really see no need for the service manual? I've always had one for every bike I have owned. Is the Yami manual crap?

I have the Yamaha manual and use it all the time, so I recommend you get one. I ordered mine online - try ebay. I use the Skyway sliders and they work (I won't say how I know). No drilling or cutting.

Enjoy your new machine!

Thanks Shifter although you have my curiosity piqued about the Friday thing. Do you really see no need for the service manual? I've always had one for every bike I have owned. Is the Yami manual crap?
Well, Friday's are a good time to log in if you want to see some dog-piling for questions that "may" have been asked / answered before. :rolleyes:

Some of the members are a little sensitive to newbie questions and respond in various colorful ways. I always get a good laugh and remind myself to only ask if I'm desperate.

As for the service manual, I do own a service manual and always purchase one so I concede it is still the right thing to do if you're willing to read the detail. When it comes to the FJR, this website is unusual in the level of detail available and offers answers to the vast the majority of questions that users are actually looking for in technical detail and in a practical manner.

Thanks again and you know I had already sensed that frequently re-asked questions were fodder for ridicule and shame and with that in mind I choose my questions very carefully. Even though the answers you gave were pretty much what was reflected here already (except for where to actually BUY the sliders..thank you) I just wanted to make sure what was listed in the FAQs was up to date info and that there weren't any new options for the Gen 2 bikes.

Hey it's not like I asked what was the best oil to use :dribble:

I bought a service manual, I am not using it often, but you need one if you want to do some of your maintenance.

I am using Motovation sliders, very good service Motovation

I am using the original Wild Bill Pegs, working good for me.

Have fun, ride safe !

In addition to the manual you can go to www.fjrtech.com or www.fjr1300info.com and copy off any article pertaining to what you want to do. I actually have a notebook of copied articles to reference when I want to work on the bike. pics included, not drawings.

Glenn

I ordered mine online - try ebay.
Check the first paragraph of the first pinned thread of the New Users board.

As for drilling the fairing for sliders, that question comes up because the GenI bikes hid the mounting bolt used for sliders behind a faring panel. The GenII bikes leave that bolt exposed. There were elaborate bracket kits developed for GenI bikes, or you could just drill a hole and put it where it belongs. The slider's there, who cares about a hole? Geez.

DSC_0011.jpg

Irrelevant for the OP, with the GenII.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts