ok, whats the tip about the plastic fastners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosa

Reaction score
Been searching and didnt find quickly here, so will ask the question.

The black plastic fastners for the fairing and dash attach....... man, I break em each and every time I try to remove the fairings or other plastic on my new 06... :dribble: ... Im a fairly good wrench on most things, but this ones got me stumped...

Any tips/tricks on either correct removal or WHERE TO BUY BULK SUPPLIES of em? ( big ol grin)...

Thanks in advance....

Mosa

OK, I'll help

I took shit a year ago for asking the same question..

In the center of the plastic fastener there is a smaller area.

push this inward about a 1/4 inch, with tip of something small, ie small allen wrench or paperclip,

then the whole thing will come out towards you with your fingernail under the outside edge - comes out easily.

To reinsert, push out the center pin so its sticking out about a 1/4 inch, insert the fastener into the hole, push in the center pin until its flush - done.

Gary McCoy at University Motors can sell you a bunch; NOTE there are three types of these black plastic fasteners on your machine.

If you order some, make sure you get all kinds - two with push pins, one with phillips head screw.

SEARCH or others will get you Gary's phone #

good luck

Are you talking about the black fasteners with the little round center pin?

Well you push that pin in, about an 1/8th of an inch (it will click),

then you remove the fastener, it should be loose at this point and just pull out.

when, reusing the fastener, you pop the fastener so the tab is about 1/8 of an inch sticking out,

you insert the fastener and then push the protruding pin back in till it's flush with the rest of the fastener.

Pretty simple; let me know if you need pictures, or I've describe the wrong type fastener.

thanks guys, I knew it had to be fairly simple, and yes its the one with the pin center... I did notice different sizes as well... some times gotta ask dumbass questions ... but thanks anyway.... gonna order a fistfull of each and leave in my parts bins cause Im hamfisted every once and a while...

Mosa

thanks guys, I knew it had to be fairly simple, and yes its the one with the pin center... I did notice different sizes as well... some times gotta ask dumbass questions ... but thanks anyway.... gonna order a fistfull of each and leave in my parts bins cause Im hamfisted every once and a while...
Mosa
But you're learning as you go. :D And I suspect a lot of new owners are going to read this post and learn before they face the challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, the way this tupperware is held together it reminds me of one of those pre WW1 ships that had a gazillion rivets in it.

:dribble:

ya, so true.. this is my first full fairing bike ( except the Goldwing, and that seemd MUCH easier to get the dressigns off her....), and have a lot to learn on the handling of the pieces ( hopefully not by scratchin it.....lol)..

appreciate all the tidbits folks... good stuff!

Mosa

Last edited by a moderator: