Old Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
I've got a few old helmets and I've got this problem with throwing things away, you should see my garage. Is there any practical use for old skid lids? Flower pots, some guy in Oregon making bird houses out of them? Or are they just landfill?

I saw a guy at a vintage MX race once that had a good idea. Drill a hole in the top of the helmet and put an eye bolt with a nut on the backside through it. Then cover the front opening and fill it full of concrete. He uses 4 of them to anchor his 10 by 10 pop-up canopy at events.

From previous 'what to do' posts:

IanS: My old helmets go to the local paramedics or St John Ambulance for them to use for training purposes. I want any paramedic removing a helmet in the event of accident to be well practiced, it may well save my life after the helmet I'm wearing has done it's job.

Pepperell: A local MC accessories dealer drills holes in the top, then hangs 'em from the fence. They make wonderful hanging planters... Geraniums, I believe...

They make really cool lamps, too! Go to the Craft Store, and get a kit!

Pictures and how to -- creative ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
From previous 'what to do' posts:
IanS: My old helmets go to the local paramedics or St John Ambulance for them to use for training purposes. I want any paramedic removing a helmet in the event of accident to be well practiced, it may well save my life after the helmet I'm wearing has done it's job.

Pepperell: A local MC accessories dealer drills holes in the top, then hangs 'em from the fence. They make wonderful hanging planters... Geraniums, I believe...

They make really cool lamps, too! Go to the Craft Store, and get a kit!

Pictures and how to -- creative ideas.
You are being a great help to your community........It really helps when it comes time to train on helment removal. Just a few cents from a Paramedic........

YOu could always fly headlong into a guard rail....just to see if the helmet still works.

On second thought...BTDT: DON'T!

back here in the boonies of Coastal Texas we take 'em out back and shoot the piss out of 'em till there's nothing left, then we plow the pieces under to fluff up the back 40 for next years crop. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As much fun as colander creation and guard rail bonking sound I think I'll stop by the local firehouse and see if they need 'em. Thanks!

I would saw one in half to show my students how a helmet is constructed and why you should replace your helmet after impact.

Helmet Bowling! This is the best use for an old helmet. Or take it out to a flea market, there is always an idiot on a harley willing to buy a helmet as long as its cheap. Don't get me wrong, not everybody riding a harley is an idiot, but every idiot buys a harley.