Old vs new - air filter teardown

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
I'm sure this will end up in NEPRT, but here goes.

I think the air filter in my '04 was a 'day oner', I've just been blowing it clean and replacing it. Bought a new one and installed it today.

Instead of going for a nice ride, I got sidetracked (happens a lot since retirement) and decided to rip the old filter apart to see just how dirty it was.

So, here they are:

Stuck an LED trouble light inside each.

Cut open the old filter, I was surprised how much crap was still trapped in the pleats.

Now I'm off to see if the bike runs any better?

Al.

Just inspected mine earlier. It looks like your old one. New one on the way. Interested in hearing if you felt any difference in performance.

At least you didn't have dead mice, bird seed and acorns in your filter.

Dirty air filter test: In 5th gear roll the throttle all the way on. Now back off the throttle a little bit. If the engine seems to suddenly accelerate harder when you slightly let off of the throttle it indicates that there was a restriction in intake.

ohmy.png
Your bike must have lost a lot of power from this very dirty filter!

We waiting for your riding impressions with the new filter..!
rolleyes.gif

I clean it once blowing it out & then replace it the next go around. Which reminds me... I'm probably about due.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have to admit I wasn't expecting much of a difference. Starting and rolling through town the engine did seem 'happier', but I felt that could just be from the fresh oil and filter?

It wasn't until I cleared the city limits and 'gave 'er some stick' that I realized how much the engine had been compromised by the dirty filter. Above 4,000RPM the thing became a rocket!

This is the biggest bike I have ever owned and it was never a slouch but now it just seems to rev a lot easier.

I will definitely pay more attention to air filter changes.

Al.

Cool. The light test was revealing (or not?)
smile.png
I don't know if you keep regular tabs on fuel mileage but surely it HAS to go up with the new filter! ( Or maybe not now that you're twisting the throttle more
grin.gif
). Thanks for sharing.

How many miles do you suspect were on the old filter?
There are 48,000 kilometers on the bike (almost 30,000 miles). The previous owner supplied documents with the bike showing all recalls and parts replaced, no mention of a filter, this is the first one I've bought.

BTW. I've searched this site, checked the bin-o-facts, looked in my shop manual and even my owner's handbook. I can't seem to find a recommended time to change the air filter. Funny, on my truck I do it every fall, didn't really think about the poor old bike.

Great!!

Yamaha says that you must clean your filter every 10,000km and replace it every 20,000km.

I replace it every 10-15,000km because in 20,000km my filter looks like yours about..

Except the better responsive in the throttle now,you will notice and more miles per gallon i guess..
smile.png

On my first check the tech did something cool and after blowing it out flipped it end for end. You could see 1/2 was more discolored then the other half when he pulled it out. I thought that was pretty cool. The next time I replaced it.