Olympia Phantom 1 Piece Suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead

Reaction score
I need to pull the trigger on some cold/rainy riding gear real soon and have been searching and reading reviews until my head hurts. I need a good commuter set up that will see some distance riding as well. I am leaning towards the Olympia suit after reading some comparisons to the "Stich" and others. Will someone that currently has one give me some "real world" impressions?

https://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
PM Tim05FJR. He has one. I believe that he likes it, too.

Can't comment on the 1 piece suit. However, Lorie and I both just got the AST jackets which look identical to the top half of the Phantom. Great vents - on both the pocket (horizontal) and sleeve vents there are tabs you pull to keep them open, very nice. The back has 2 (verticle) vents w/o tabs, but the covering velcroed flap can be folded under and stays open pretty well. The elbow/shoulder/back armor is first class. Really, in my opinion, a very nice quality jacket. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy the Phantom if I was in the market for a 1 piece.

Oh, and I do like the hideous yellow (Neon) color!

Two of my friends have the Phantoms, one yellow, the other has the grey/black. I have the AST in grey. It's less money than the Aerostich but I would say it is not quite up to the same standards. The armor is higher quality in the Aerostich. Both my friends had theirs leak quite badly while touring the Maritimes this summer and the suits were brand new while I stayed dry in my Aerostich. Of course, I had the advantage of a Cal-Sci medium while they were on sportbikes. I'd say the Olympia is a lot of bang for the buck but not a substitute for the Aerostich. I use my AST for dual sport riding and would not wear it if I knew it was going to rain. They do claim they are waterproof but not in the real world.

Two of my friends have the Phantoms, one yellow, the other has the grey/black. I have the AST in grey. It's less money than the Aerostich but I would say it is not quite up to the same standards. The armor is higher quality in the Aerostich. Both my friends had theirs leak quite badly while touring the Maritimes this summer and the suits were brand new while I stayed dry in my Aerostich. Of course, I had the advantage of a Cal-Sci medium while thay were on sportbikes. I'd say the Olympia is a lot of bang for the buck but not a substitute for the Aerostich. I use my AST for dual sport riding and would not wear it if I new it was going to rain. They do claim they are waterproof but not in the real world.
Well that was not the review I was hoping for, but thanks for the info. I am going to check out some suits on Monday and make my decision before it gets too cold. Al I can say is hmmmmm, decisions decisions

Two of my friends have the Phantoms, one yellow, the other has the grey/black. I have the AST in grey. It's less money than the Aerostich but I would say it is not quite up to the same standards. The armor is higher quality in the Aerostich. Both my friends had theirs leak quite badly while touring the Maritimes this summer and the suits were brand new while I stayed dry in my Aerostich. Of course, I had the advantage of a Cal-Sci medium while they were on sportbikes. I'd say the Olympia is a lot of bang for the buck but not a substitute for the Aerostich. I use my AST for dual sport riding and would not wear it if I knew it was going to rain. They do claim they are waterproof but not in the real world.
This is the first word of a Stich being more waterproof than a Phantom. I've done research for months on the Phantom and every review and comment (other than the one above) I've read states it's more waterproof than the Stich.

Mine should be here early next week. B)

Can't speak for the 1-piece but I'm delighted with the quality and price on my Olympia jacket. It's probably the most versatile riding jacket I've ever owned. And the brightest colored one!

Jill

This is the first word of a Stich being more waterproof than a Phantom. I've done research for months on the Phantom and every review and comment (other than the one above) I've read states it's more waterproof than the Stich.
Mine should be here early next week. B)
I have been reaserching and reading many reviews also and they have all been very positive. I don't think I am ready to spend $800 for a suit quite yet and maybe never.

The biggest problem I am having in my quest is being able to try the different gear on for the proper size. I have located a BMW dealer about 30 miles away that I am going to stop in on Monday. They have a pretty vast selection from speaking with them via the phone. It is not going to be sunny and 90 degrees much longer :)

...and they make you look coo too, just ask Ken:

Phantom_pewter_Ken.jpg

There's extensive reviews of these over in the Equipment forum of ADVrider.com

I've owned a Phantom for some time and really like it. I also have a Darien two piece suit and have owned a 1 piece Roadcrafter as well. The Phantom is totally waterproof as is the Darien two piece. The Roadcrafter leaks like a sieve in the crotch.

Some Phantom owners have had leaks due to improper configuration (by the wearer) of the front pocket zippers. These are waterproof zippers but require some care in closing. You have to make sure the pocket cinch straps are not pulling the pocket vents toward the open position at all.

The Phantom is a great suit and beats the 1 Pc Roadcrafter hands down in every category except ease of entrance/exit. The Phantom takes another 30 seconds to don vs. the RC but that's a small price to pay for staying dry.

I had some problems with the crotch leaking on my Roadcrafter, but found that if I took an extra 30 seconds to make sure all of the flaps were closed correctly the problem was solved. I rode in a DOWNPOOR, 2" or more of standing water at some intersections, and just the bottom of my pants legs were wet. I haven't seen a Phantom, but would like to compare it to my Roadcrafter. The Aerostich wasn't cheep, but I am VERY happy with it.

I had some problems with the crotch leaking on my Roadcrafter, but found that if I took an extra 30 seconds to make sure all of the flaps were closed correctly the problem was solved. I rode in a DOWNPOOR, 2" or more of standing water at some intersections, and just the bottom of my pants legs were wet. I haven't seen a Phantom, but would like to compare it to my Roadcrafter. The Aerostich wasn't cheep, but I am VERY happy with it.
I loved my Roadcrafter but no amount of flaps closing or seam sealing of the zippers would keep water out for even 1 min. in a downpour. I followed every direction on the 'Stich site with no luck.

I was able to try on some Olympia gear today and it seemed pretty nice but I seem to be in between a L an XL for their sizing. I also tried on some Rev'it gear and it was nice also, but very $$$ for what it appeared.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and order a Cycleport jacket and pants and "hopefully" cover my 4 seasons of riding with 1 suit. I have read so many good things about the Kevlar and after speaking with Wayne I think it will be my best opton even though it is very pricey. I am going to get the ultra mesh jacket that zips together with the pants and the waterproof liners. I am on the fence whether or not to get the insulated liner or some fleece and a vest on my own. Will sleep on it tonight.

Just saw this thread.

I guess I should chime in.

I LOVE MY PHANTOM.

Had it for about 3 months now and so far it has stayed dry in some pretty steady rains. No downpours yet, but confident it should be good. I think that nothing is as good as a full rain suit in a heavy downpour though.

I use it to commute to work every day. It is faster to get into ( after some practice) than wearing seperate pants and jacket. Very comfortable on and off the bike. Make sure you try one one for fitment before ordering one. I went to a shop that sells Olympia gear so I could try on several sizes. Being pear shaped has it's disadvantages.

The only down side is that it is HOT on humid days. The venting flows well, but could be better. I think the biggest problem is with my large shield not allowing enough air flow. When I wear it on my Buell it is much cooler.

I never had a Roadcrafter so I can't make any comparision, but I have $500 more in my wallet.

I hope I helped.

Tim

How do you route the wire for a heated vest on the one piece suit? Thanks.
Cheers.
Two options on the Phantom:

1) Slightly enlarge the small hole at the top of left leg zipper under the flap. This is just slightly too small for a coax Gerbing plug to slip through as shipped from Olympia

2) Leave the main zipper slightly unzipped at the bottom. This could cause a leak in heavy rain.