Opinion on Garmin Nuvi 50 GPS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
One thing I dont have for my bike is a GPS. Ive always used my phone, but it can be a little tedious.

WalMart has the Garmin Nuvi 50 for $69 for black friday...so far all my reading tells me this is a great deal. How does it look to you guys?

The Nuvi 50 is a decent basic automotive GPS that lacks many features that make it suitable for motorcycle use. Without either a headphone jack or bluetooth, the verbal directions cannot be heard in your helmet while riding, and the display will be washed out in sunlight. You won't have access to any hands-free phone functions higher end GPS units do well. The Nuvi 50 is what we call a point and shoot GPS. Put in a destination and go. What it wont' do is let you plan a route or control the roads selected to navigate to the destination, other than adding a via, and adjusting avoidances.

The price is right. I wouldn't recommend it for a motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nuvi 50 is a decent basic automotive GPS that lacks many features that make it suitable for motorcycle use. Without either a headphone jack or bluetooth, the verbal directions cannot be heard in your helmet while riding, and the display will be washed out in sunlight. You won't have access to any hands-free phone functions higher end GPS units do well. The Nuvi 50 is what we call a point and shoot GPS. Put in a destination and go. What it wont' do is let you plan a route or control the roads selected to navigate to the destination, other than adding a via, and adjusting avoidances.

The price is right. I wouldn't recommend it for a motorcycle.
Hmm good points Tom. Thank you. I'll pass on this one.

Happy turkey day too :)

Maybe it's the cheap frugal side of me, but that would be a great GPS for the bike. Granted, it won't do any of the wiz bang stuff but if you're just looking for basic why spend big $$$?!? I've been using a Nuvi 200W for five-ish years now and it does everything *I* need. When heading north over the border, I borrow the SO's 255W that's only three-ish years old.

For around $100 including a RAM mount, why not? YMMV

--G

Maybe it's the cheap frugal side of me, but that would be a great GPS for the bike. Granted, it won't do any of the wiz bang stuff but if you're just looking for basic why spend big $$$?!? I've been using a Nuvi 200W for five-ish years now and it does everything *I* need. When heading north over the border, I borrow the SO's 255W that's only three-ish years old.

--G
I tend to agree with you, but my main concern is the screen in sunlight. From what tom said it's not great for that....i really don't need mp3 support, headphone jack, etc either, but i DO need to start the damn thing.

--G
I tend to agree with you, but my main concern is the screen in sunlight. From what tom said it's not great for that....i really don't need mp3 support, headphone jack, etc either, but i DO need to start the damn thing.
I very seldom have severe issues viewing the screen in sunlight. Rigging up a homemade visor for the GPS wouldn't be that difficult. Even buy something similar to this one from GlareStomper.

--G

Hmmm good idea. Maybe I'll pick this up and try it. Can't beat it at 50% off. And it's Wal-Mart so i can always return it.

Fontanaman usually agrees escapefjrtist's opinion but not this time. As a spoilt brat I have a Zumo 550. Point to point navigation would not cut it for me. I want to define a route and load it to the GPS - this is the most valuable feature of my GPS - to ride a route off the beaten path with out having to fuzz with maps or the GPS - mostly. On occasion the damn GPS gets lost or confused - then I know I am really off the beaten path - then I know is is a real good day!

Well I have to agree with Escapftrist,

My wife runs on her Spyder that high end Zumo, I think 600 something, fancy stuff which came with it, being a limited edition.

I got me at Fry's in Renton for $100 bucks a refurb'd Garmin 1490LMT, paid another $50 for my RAM mount and $5 for a clip on visor... For what I can tell, I don't really see any difference on the motorcycle Zuemo's vs. the Car Nuevi's, at least not what would justify the premium for the bike version. My 1490 does all I want it to, the visor blocks the sun out as much as possible, I even can operate it with my gloves on and riding.... I just didn't spend $600+ for it.

The only hint I'd give is, try to get a 5" diameter screen. As far as I'm concerned multi point routes work on mines, as I'm using the Garmin base amp software to plan my trips and insert the routes accordingly.

Fontanaman...you make a good point about multipoint routes...that's very important. It looks like this one doesn't do that.

I have no argument for or against but I do have some input regarding the screen in sunlight. I have the Zumo 660 and I love the thing but even with its motorcycle specific, glove friendly touch screen, it is difficult to see in direct sunlight. It never completely washes out, but it could be better.

If all you need is a basic direction finder, it will work fine.

But if you are going to the trouble of mounting a GPS onto your motorcycle, you probably have the mind to take some great trips. Off the main highways and onto some real motorcycle roads. Which means you will want to build some nice routes or download some from the forum, and not rely on where garmin thinks you should go, which is biased for main interstates and fastest travel, not the best motorcycle routes.

If that is you, spend a little more to get a GPS that will allow you to download routes. I think the 1490lmt mentioned here will do that, plus you get lifetime updated maps instead of speninding $80 every 2 years to update.

You may not need a sumo or a Montana but get something that actually works well for the reason you are buying it.

I've used several gps units. The garmin 2730 I just sold worked well, as does the new Montana, as did the 1490.

I can't tell if you could download a route created by (the freely available) 'Base Camp' or not.

My Nuvi 780 you can. It's an older (5 yrs or so), just put a new battery in it. Works fine. And sure, while they aren't highly visible in sunlight, they work okay enough imho.

One of the most important things I want from a gps, traveling especially, nearest gas stations and lodging choices. This can be vital. Sounds like the Nuvi 50 can handle

that.

Great price! wow.

I can't tell if you could download a route created by (the freely available) 'Base Camp' or not.

My Nuvi 780 you can. It's an older (5 yrs or so), just put a new battery in it. Works fine. And sure, while they aren't highly visible in sunlight, they work okay enough imho.

One of the most important things I want from a gps, traveling especially, nearest gas stations and lodging choices. This can be vital. Sounds like the Nuvi 50 can handle

that.

Great price! wow.
I too use a nuvi 780. The audio output jack is a must for me in urban areas, otherwise I just pop in my mp3. Mine was $160 at walmart.com.

I am prolly the most non-techno-nerd-geek you'd ever meet. And I too thought "just point and shoot. Get me there." But as time goes by, and with practice, I find having a route chosen by me is sooooo much better than following its.

Back in the summer I installed a NuShield DayVue anti-glare screen. I highly recommend it.

I originally purchased a 550 for the screen and durability, but ran into problems with the mount electrical pins and moisture getting inside the gps. Instead of getting a refurbished unit from Garmin with old maps, I purchased an inexpensive 255w. I don't program trips and with the ram ball mount, the sun glare can be minimized.

that.

Great price! wow.
I too use a nuvi 780. The audio output jack is a must for me in urban areas, otherwise I just pop in my mp3. Mine was $160 at walmart.com.

I am prolly the most non-techno-nerd-geek you'd ever meet. And I too thought "just point and shoot. Get me there." But as time goes by, and with practice, I find having a route chosen by me is sooooo much better than following its.

Back in the summer I installed a NuShield DayVue anti-glare screen. I highly recommend it.
Not to get too diverted from the op question but...

The 780 has another cool feature not on most of the newer gps. It can broadcast with FM radio. It's easy to search on the net for FM stations not being used, and tune the 780 to that station, now tune yer (say) little Sansa Clip to same station and plug yer ear plugs in... good to go.

The great thing about doing it like this: put yer mp3's on the gps, listen to them. Now the 780 will mute the music with directions, and yer not 'tethered' to anything. Get on and off the bike, no worries.

The only caveat I found to this was static. But that is easily resolved by plugging some kind of extension cable (with the right jack on one end) into the audio out and taking the wire and wrapping it around the clip on / handle bar. It acts like an antenna and does an awesome job cleaning up the static.

Looked a while ago before buying a new battery for the 780, don't see any gps that broadcast with FM anymore...

Just to clarify my original comments, I am not against using a Nuvi on the motorcycle. I used a 765T for several years and even cross country trips. It was fully route capable and had a one of the best A2DP bluetooth systems ever put into a GPS. The touchscreen worked with my gloves, and with a glare shield was reasonably easy to read. There are a couple things a GPS must have to make it useful to me (your priorities may vary). If a unit lacks Bluetooth or headphone jack or both, and custom routing, then it is simply a non-starter for me, and I keep looking higher up the line. Some of the new low-end Zumos lack bluetooth, and are a non-starter for me. I use an old Streetpilot 2820 and get by just fine. I'd like to get a Zumo 665 but have not been attracted by the price, so my comments are not out of GPS snobbery.

FWIW a lifetime subscription to NuMaps only costs 69.99 today from Garmin or $53.93 from Amazon. Today is a good day to buy this upgrade.