Opinions on best SMALL topcase?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettB

Reaction score
OK, I've spent my entire morning parsing threads on top cases - so I've used the search, both forum and google :)

My problem with most top cases, is that they are huge ugly things that surely have to effect bike stability, especially in the wind. I want something just big enough to stick a small laptop case in and that's it. So, as low as possible, and not too wide or deep either.

Checkswrecks has the closest thing to what I'm looking for

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=30449

and the look of it on the bike is great (compared to any top case pic I've seen)

but I would like to not have to open the case, move stuff to get to the quick release pins then pull them, etc. (and I don't have a case to do these mods too anyway).

The closest commercial case I've found is the Givi B36N.

https://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_...473&lang=en

Anyone had any experience with them? Anyone have any other alternatives? I would prefer something even a little smaller then the B36N, and if it didn't have a big logo on it, and came in gloss black to match the '08 FJR, and the lock used my Yammi key... well, that'd sound about perfect :)

I wanted the briefcase to look as stock as possible when off the bike, and it stayed looking clean till some butt-munch tried unsuccessfully to muscle it off the rack, cracking the side.

There are a lot of ways that people have mounted Pelican cases to the back and the benefits are that they are waterproof and come in a variety of sizes. You could put on feet like I did at the bottom of my briefcase, then attach a simple U-shaped piece of sheetmetal to the bottom of the Pelican, straddling the bar at the back of the rack. You could lock it in place by putting a long-hasped padlock through aligning holes in the U-bracket.

Or get a scooter topcase.

Chx

I just purchased a Shad SH42 top case off e-bay with a Gen 2 FJR specific mounting bracket. Very reasonable price. It might be a little bigger than your looking for, but it's not as big as the factory FJR top box. Good luck

My problem with most top cases, is that they are huge ugly things that surely have to effect bike stability, especially in the wind. I want something just big enough to stick a small laptop case in and that's it. So, as low as possible, and not too wide or deep either.
You are exactly describing a Pelican Case:

opticsplanet_2025_764079419.jpg

This is the one I scored.. it will reside on the back of the Hayabusa when I finish making a rack for it: Pelican Case - model 1500

External dimensions: 18.5" wide x 14" deep x 7" height.... pretty streamline!

Here's one of several ways to mount it: FJR rack for the Pelican Case

Last edited by a moderator:
For both the briefcase and the Pelican case, were you worried about the holes drilled in them for putting bolts through? I'm a little worried about water coming in through the bolt holes as there is a lot of spray on the back of the bike. I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest and will use the top case year round... Taking the waterproof Pelican, and then drilling holes through it seems to somehow "violate" it :) Interested to hear your experiences with rain though and any leakage or not...

Comparing the Pelican 1500 (or even the 1450) to the Givi case, I give the Givi a couple of points for a less "industrial" look. But the Pelican gets points for overall toughness, and definitely price (<$100 for Pelican, $265 for Givi). The Givi I listed is probably small enough, but the Pelican again gets some small points for being even smaller (need to make sure the 1450 is big enough for the laptop :) ).

Givi B36N = 20.5" x 17.6" x 8"

Pelican 1450 = 14.62" x 10.18" x 6.00"

Pelican 1500 = 18.50" x 14.06" x 6.93"

Givi gets points for being lockable/removable without drilling holes through it, and being natively somewhat more secure then bolts or quick-release pins... :)

Hmm, not a clear decision yet, as each has pros/cons...

-Brett

That's what silicone seal is for. Mine hasn't leaked yet . . . . Pelican is less bulky than anything else out there & lockable. Givi monster is not more secure than mine bolted to Gerauld rack . . . . Get a Givi if you need passenger backrest or more room, otherwise NO advantage I can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also get lots of opportunity to rain-ride & I had a rubber gasket on the briefcase and never had an issue with water coming up through the holes. It was a regular old briefcase when I started so was never meant to be waterproof. Even so, I simply left a large plastic bag in it and when rain riding just slipped what I had into the bag.

The other down side to the Pelican from the Givi is that the Givi can come with a rack for those who can't do their own mount.

There are other options if you look in the scooter accessories.

Latest posts