Opinions on FirstGear HT OverPants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasFJR

Reaction score
Not looking to start another leather vs textile debate, but does anyone know how well these things would protect you if you went down?

Motorcycle accidents all have different dynamics so speaking in terms of 'moderate', an appropriate textile can offer pretty good ONE TIME protection. Things to look for are: a bare minimum of 450 Denier fabric (bigger number is better, this is abrasion resistance); stay away from materials that use polyester because friction can melt them to your skin (not a good thing!); hard CE-certified protectors in elbows, shoulders, back, hips, knees, etc.; Cordura and alloys of ballistic nylon are very good; quality zippers and fasteners that will resist separation; solid way to attach pants to coat so they don't ride when sliding; a good fit with arm adjusters and at least waist adjusters so the coat won't ride up, spin or twist. For comfort and convenience look for zip in liners that are wind proof and even better, water proof. The list looks long but it is easy to get an armored, 1050 Denier, ballistic nylon riding suit which will protect you very well -- ONCE. This is textiles by the numbers, results in real life may vary <_< .

My personal experience is only one get-off in the last forty...., well very long time, and it was with leather coat, textile pants and boots. Scuffed the coat pretty good, no holes. Wadded and holed the pants but not me. Holed the boots at the ankles, side of the foot and one toe but not me. Burnt one glove and holed the other but not me. Broke left elbow in spite of armor, padding and liner. Broke right wrist. Totaled full coverage helmet and KOed me for several minutes :angry: Major damage to the face shield and chin bar, I would have been fubared with out the full helmet. I ride with all textiles these days, Cordura and ballistic nylon with full length boots.

Alan

Not looking to start another leather vs textile debate, but does anyone know how well these things would protect you if you went down?
I haven't had the "opportunity" to crash test mine but I have read many comments of others (on other Internet sites) who have and and the HT Overpants seem to offer surprisingly good protection. Some have even reported that the pants were not even damaged.

HT OverPants specs:

· 100% waterproof 330 denier Hyper-Tex™ w/extra panel on rear

· Sheltex™ membrane for breathability

· Abrasion-resistant Dynax material on knees

· Removable, zip-out insulated liner

· Full-length, 2-way leg zippers for easy on/off

· Removable Temperfoam™ knee and hip armor

· Spandex waist and adjustable belt

High Performance Textiles (Hyper-Tex) were developed by FIRSTGEAR designers to provide the maximum protection with a minimum of bulk. Ballistic nylons and polyesters provide weather proofing, abrasion resistance and colorfastness at value pricing.

Alan

Not yet, but I've been using a set of "originals" (liner can't be removed) for about 4 or 5 years now and they'll beat a pair of jeans (or even jeans+chaps) 9 ways for sunday.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Tomorrow we're picking up my wife's first bike, a Ninja 250. She's taking an MSF course in mid-November and given that we get pretty good winter weather in Texas we're hoping to she'll get to put in a fair amount of time this winter. We've been buying her gear but have been having trouble finding pants that fit her comfortably. We picked up a nice leather fieldsheer jacket with CE armor but the leather pants all seem to be cut for women without hips. Since I've been drilling the importance of wearing good gear, we just weren't sure if these would be a good option.

So thanks again for the feedback and if you happen to know of any manufacturers that seem to do a decent job of fitting women please pass that along as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
TejasFJR, I went down a 60 mph with a joe rocket jacket, and the firstgear HT overpants. Hit the dirt at first, then ended up on the pavement. They where just scuffed up, not a hole or tear. I think they are great. ;) Smitty

I also wear some Icon knee/shin guards under my HT pants. I like the extra protection I get around the knee. Hope I never get to find out how well they work.