Opinions on ST1300 vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDR

Reaction score
A friend who has a 2007 ST1300 on order has been trying to pursuade me to cancel my new FJR order for a Honda.

Since I haven't owned either bike I was hoping for some input from some of you comparing the two.

Are there any major differences in the two bikes that make one stand out from the other?

Uh, what's this 'ST1300' of which you speak? Some kinda new model just released by Barcalounger or sumpin'? :dntknw:

His point is that the Honda is a more dependable bike than the Yamaha. I have been reading about the FJR for some time and I haven't seen anything that would indicate any problems with the bike.

The ST1300 is, what, an 8-9 year old design ? Lots of tupperware (better weather protection), heavier, very hot in the summertime (makes the 03-05 FJR's sound 'cool'), less flickable, worse suspension that the FJR, OK but boring motor, basically a Gold Wing that hasn't been fed properly...

This coming from an ex-cruiser owner that loves his FJR after 18 months & 24,000 miles & a buck fifty on deserted Nevada highways, I have spent money on a Russell seat, Givi C46 top case, Wilburs, and lots of little things to make my baby 'perfect'.

I sat on the ST1300, listened to the salesman rave about Honda quality, and bought the FJR. Glad I bought what I bought. Sounds like your friend is just trying to get you to buy one to validate his decision to buy the mini barcalounger...

I checked the ST1300 forum (forget the address, it's been awhile) & the owners there, while professing fanatic alliegance to their mount, had way way more operational/build/parts quality complaints about their bikes than FJR owners do. Some of the problems were warranty problems that the owners couldn't get resolved, early parts wear, lube issues, some were flaky handling at speed, & some were just weird issues that seemed like an owner caused problem but probably weren't.

The ST1300 is an OK bike & if you want a small wing type of cushy no stress ride it's the bike for you. If you want speed, handling, good looks, good build quality & a company that stands behind their product, I suggest the FJR. Of course I'm biased. YMMV. No company / dealer connection, etc etc

A friend who has a 2007 ST1300 on order has been trying to pursuade me to cancel my new FJR order for a Honda.Since I haven't owned either bike I was hoping for some input from some of you comparing the two.

Are there any major differences in the two bikes that make one stand out from the other?
Both bikes are designed for the same job. They just do it differently. Both bikes are great bikes. I do not think that you would be dissatisfied with either one. There is a lot of discussion on this forum and the ST forum about the differences between these two bikes. By reading both you should get a pretty good view from both sides. Do a search, the reading should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. It sounds like we had similar experiences. I went to the Honda dealer and sat on an 06 St1300 and the sales guy acted like I should start the paperwork without even hearing the motor.

The Honda salesman never once called me or even tried to point out any reasons his bike was superior to the Yamaha. Probably because he knew the FJR has it beat hands down.

I am sure the Honda is dependable. Aren't they all?

The Yamaha seems to be the perfect package to me and I have also been to the BMW dealer for a comparison of the new K1200 GT.

I was just thinking that maybe someone knew of something I didn't concerning the ST. Advantages of the V4 engine compared to Yamahas inline 4 or suspension benefits of the Honda etc.....

Sounds like I made the right decision from the beginning. I just wish my friend would join me so I could get an even better deal on my bike!

There were some reports of ST-1300s having high-speed weave (above 100 mph with a topcase installed) that I don't know were resolved. Some Gen I FJRs had excessive heat in the cockpit (literal and figurative) but so did the ST.

The Honda has a slightly better weather protection package. The Yamaha windshield just isn't right for some (including me).

warsw said correctly in that both bikes do the same job but approach the solution from differing starting points.

I've had the good fortune to ride both.

The st 1300 compares in power, ride and weather coverage to the BMW rt's. Refined, good handling,and deceptively fast.

The fjr feels like a large caliber bullet with handle bars.......handles well and has pretty good weather protection. FWIW

The ST1300 is, what, an 8-9 year old design ?

Since the current version came out in 2003, that would be a negative on the 8 or 9 year old design.

I owned a 2003 ST1300 and loved it. What Luke said about SPORT-tourer and Sport-TOURER is dead on.

After years of Kawis, including two years on a Connie, I was in the market in '04 and got to sit on and fire up an ST1300. Ergos were good, but an exhaust note best described as "a handful of canaries" and way too many people talking about the ride as "pure vanilla" made me take a look at the FJR. Two-plus years and 32K plus miles of FJR ownership later and I'm still in love with this bike. You won't know for sure if the FJR is the bike for you until you get some saddle-time, but I'll bet when you and your buddy swap off once both your bikes are in, you won't regret the FJR choice.

Once Upon a Time, there was never a more dedicated, hard-core Honda man than myself.

I owned two ST1100s throughout the 90's and up until 2001. Had 225,000 miles between them, rode one to a 5th place finish in the 1997 Iron Butt Rally, rode the other through a deer at 60mph in northern Oregon, countless LD rallies with both... they were exceptional machines for their intended task.

No one wanted the ST1300 to be a wildly successful follow-on to the ST1100 than myself. No one.

Believe me - trust me - they are not.

Aside from the heat problem, it was the high-speed weave issue - still not fixed to this very day - that sealed it's doom as far as I was concerned. Earlier this year, England pulled the entire ST1300 fleet from its Police Force, due to this high-speed weave issue. 13 English police officers have died in high-speed pursuits since the bike was introduced in 2003. Took them 3 years and 13 widows to yank them.

If you never ride with ambient temps above 70, and you never go over 70 mph, the ST1300 is a wonderful machine. It's like a splendidly engineered household appliance. Faithful. Dependable. Boring as ****.

I've got about 80,000 miles between my two FJRs..... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the heat problem, it was the high-speed weave issue - still not fixed to this very day -
The heat never really bothered me but the weave was certainly an issue. Even at 60 or 70mph behind big trucks would really shake it around. I took my ST up to 125mph via GPS and it was downright scary. I could deal with the weave pretty easily with no uncomfortable moments up to about 90mph.

Aside from the heat problem, it was the high-speed weave issue - still not fixed to this very day -
The heat never really bothered me but the weave was certainly an issue. Even at 60 or 70mph behind big trucks would really shake it around. I took my ST up to 125mph via GPS and it was downright scary. I could deal with the weave pretty easily with no uncomfortable moments up to about 90mph.
FJR, sidebags, Givi topbox, 150+, no noticeable handling deficits*.
DSC01500.jpg

*professional rider, closed course

That looks like 341mph to me. :unsure:

(So I guess technically that would be 150mph+) :)