Optimate Connectors: Can Someone help ID?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
I have an Optimate 3+ which has an SAE connector at the cable end. I had installed a pigtail to the battery, but they didn't have the Opimate pigtail. Instead, they put on a connector which has a white plastic end with two . . . I don't know what to call them, but it's two round metal pole pieces inside the white plastic connector. I can send a pic (or post one if I had some place to post it).

Anyway, with that incredibly helpful description, does anyone know what kind of connector I now have and whether there is an adaptor out there to connect the Optimate's SAE connector to the whatevertheheckit'scalled thingy that I have on my FJR?

Your's in blondeness.

Take a picture of the connector. Put a ruler into the frame. Post it here and then MAYBE you'll get an answer.

it isn't Friday . . . yet. So this is very tongue-in-cheek.

Sounds like you may be describing a Molex connector?

I'd just get a replacement battery tender cable with the SAE connector end. Can be found cheap for the real deal on eBay.

Sounds like you may be describing a Molex connector?
I'd just get a replacement battery tender cable with the SAE connector end. Can be found cheap for the real deal on eBay.
Yeah, I know that's an option but I don't want to take the whole thing apart to swap it out. Is there any easy way to post a pic?

Here are the pictures of FiveG's connectors:

This is the optimate 3's connector:

optimateside.jpg

That is a weatherproof version of a SAE connector. Standard Battery tender cable

This is what he has on his bike:

motorcycleside.jpg

motorcycleside2.jpg

This looks to be the same as what the early Optimates used, which is a form of Molex connector.

It is not a standard connector. The optimate3 should have come with a new weatherproof SAE cable to install on the bike (mine did). I would encourage you to take the time to remove the panel and install the new cable rather than trying to cob together some sort of an adapter.

Thanks for posting. If I can just put an adaptor on the end of the Optimate, that's my easiest solution. Otherwise, I'll need to contact Optimate and buy a new connector, so either way, it's delayed.

Anyway, I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks for posting. If I can just put an adaptor on the end of the Optimate, that's my easiest solution. Otherwise, I'll need to contact Optimate and buy a new connector, so either way, it's delayed.
Anyway, I appreciate any help on this.
Or, you could just buy an SAE connector at an auto parts store, cut the molex off and connect the SAE in it's place. Be careful about polarity when you use an SAE connector, the cable connected to the battery should have the negative (ground) connected to the side of the SAE that is exposed.

Got it. What I'd prefer to find is some adapter that I can connect to the Optimate end so that the bike end stays "waterproofish"

When I bought my Optimate3, included in the box was a weatherproof pigtail connector that look like this:

100_1222.jpg

100_1221.jpg

The other end has ring lugs for screwing onto the battery terminals.

Are you sure that you don't already have one of these little jewels still in the box?

(PS - I have it installed on my VFR and as you can see, when I'm not using it to charge the battery, use it to power my electric tank bag.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not cut the end off of the cable while it is still connected to the battery. Sparks will fly for sure.
Yep, I should have said that. You need to separate the two wires near the end that you want to cut, and snip them individually and make sure the conductors do not touch. I assume there's a fuse in-line, but you'd probably have to remove the plastic panel to get to it, and if you are going to do that you might as well just replace the entire cable. As said above, the Battery Tender cable is SAE, has a fuse, is inexpensive and readily available.

For those playing at home, I heard back from Optimate/Tec-Mate within 12 hours of my inquiry. The adapter is called an SAE-77, and you can get them at smartchargers.com. $6.90.