optimum headlight settings?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticJohnR

Reaction score
For the 06 there are two knobs to adjust each of the two headlights independently.

If I sit on the bike and have the bike X feet from a wall how high on the wall should the light be set for optimum all purpose lighting?

I certainly realize that this can depend on how curvy the road is ect- but just wondering id there is a good rule of thumb for this...

John

I don't know if this is the word, but I backed the bike up 20 feet from a wall and eyeballed the lights until level with the lights on the bike while I sat on it. They were set low at the factory/dealer. Nobody has flashed their lights at me on the road, and light pattern seems ok..... YMMV.

Primary to proper operation. To ensure maximum results for your efforts. Before you do anything else.

make sure they are mounted to the front of the bike and facing forward.

If I sit on the bike and have the bike X feet from a wall how high on the wall should the light be set for optimum all purpose lighting?
It's variable with person and loading. You have to measure the height of the centerline of your bulbs. At X feet away the height of the beam should be just below that level.

The standard is 2" of drop for 25'.

Adjust your low beam so that the horizontal cutoff is 2" below the centerline of the hearlight height 25 feet out and you'll have it right.

HOWEVER, as has been pointed out loading affects the aim, so mark the wall and aim the bulbs with you sitting on the bike and realise that if you load up or carry a passenger, the headlights will no longer be pointing at the same angle. Hence the adjusters.

Here are a couple of links:

https://www.autoxen.com/store/VISUAL-HEADLI...G-PROCEDURE.pdf

https://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/yo...0010801ha.html#

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that adjusting them while you are on the road at night works great. There are two ways that I have found to work.

(1)While you are traveling down a dark two-lane road at night put your head lights on high beam and adjust each one so it is shining straight down the road as far as you can see. When you go back to your low beam they should be right on.

(2) Adjust your low beam so it shines as far down the road as possible without shining in the eyes of on coming traffic. You will be able to see the cut-off line. It is easy to get it right.

Don't be afraid to turn the adjusters until you get it right. That is why they made the adjusters assessable from the cockpit.

friends riding in front of me have said that my lights are hardly visiable in the day time. so i would say that the standard setting was more than likely too low. adjustment made, visibilaty improved.

civiy

friends riding in front of me have said that my lights are hardly visiable in the day time. so i would say that the standard setting was more than likely too low. adjustment made, visibilaty improved.
Well, that's going to be a problem. The cut-off of FJR's is very clean and designed to be dimmer than average light from the point of view of oncoming traffic. Good light to the road surface below the horizonl, a clean cutoff line in the middle, and low light above the horizon.

If you adjust the low beams so they're brighter in the day time to oncoming traffic....you're going to blind people at night. Or constantly be adjusting your levels from day time to night time use.

If increased daytime visibility is important to you then why don't you just run your high beams?

My understanding has always been to run the brights during the day for visibility and turn them off at night so you don't blind people. That's from every experienced rider I've talked to and what I've been doing for the three years I've been on a bike.

My understanding has always been to run the brights during the day for visibility and turn them off at night so you don't blind people. That's from every experienced rider I've talked to and what I've been doing for the three years I've been on a bike.
I've frequently heard that advice myself, but I've never done it because it annoys other drivers. Making yourself visible is good, but annoying others is bad, IMO. By the same token, I would never use one of those annoying headlight modulators. So far, so good. YMMV

thanks for the input. i think i will opt for high beams in day light and leave everthing else alone.

civiy