Ordered my Avon Storms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Just ordered up a new pair of shoes for the FeeJeer.

Ordered the Avon Storms from SW Moto, seemed to be the best price I could find with shipping :/

Now if the weather will cooperate (get somewhere near mildly acceptable), I'll mount them in the next week or so and break in our new No-Mar changer.

Is there anything I need to pay special attention too? This will be the first time I've mounted my own tires. Except on dirt bikes, using the brute force milk create and spoon, much cussing and knuckle busting method.

:)

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered up a new pair of shoes for the FeeJeer.
Ordered the Avon Storms from SW Moto, seemed to be the best price I could find with shipping :/

Now if the weather will cooperate (get somewhere near mildly acceptable), I'll mount them in the next week or so and break in our new No-Mar changer.

Is there anything I need to pay special attention too? This will be the first time I've mounted my own tires. Except on dirt bikes, using the brute force milk create and spoon, much cussing and knuckle busting method.

:)

-MD
Yea, the rotation direction is important and sometimes reversed.

Hey,

I used about 1-1/4oz of weight to balance. Balance the rim first, then spin the heavy part of the tire to line up with the light side of the rim.

Bill

Hey,I used about 1-1/4oz of weight to balance. Balance the rim first, then spin the heavy part of the tire to line up with the light side of the rim.

Bill
+1 Definitely do this. Light spot on Avons is not marked. I did and it still took 40 grams. <_<

Hey,I used about 1-1/4oz of weight to balance. Balance the rim first, then spin the heavy part of the tire to line up with the light side of the rim.

Bill
+1 Definitely do this. Light spot on Avons is not marked. I did and it still took 40 grams. <_<
+2. My mounter did not do this and it took 2oz to bal

OK, I give...

How does one fine the light spot on a tire that is not marked? :)

Balance the rim without the tire and just tape the weights on. Mount the tire with tire lube on both sides of the tire. Now put the tire and rim on your balancer sans air. The heavy side with will settle to the bottom, temporary mark the tire at this spot, it will be the heaviest side of the rubber. Slide the rubber on the rim (reason for the tire lube) until this mark is lined up with the temp. weights you installed on the rim(the light side of the rim). Remove those weights, air up the tire and balance the whole assembly.

Bill

I and another forum member tried to mount a set of 45/46 Avons this way.

We checked the back rim, found the heavy spot and then put the tire on. On this one, we got lucky and hit light tire / heavy rim spot and only required about 35 grams of weight to balance. The front tire was another story.

We did the same thing on this one. Found the heavy spot on the rim. It took about 35 grams to balance it. This time we thought we could save some time and NOT air up the tire and pop the beads. We again rotated the tire to match the rim (light tire / heavy rim) and balanced the assembly. It did not work.

I had a terrible wobble all the way up to +/- 60 mph. Since that didn't work, I took the front rim off again and matched the rim and tire WITH the tire aired and beads popped. There was a significant change in the amount of weight and location necessary to balance the tire. This time the wobble was greatly reduced but still not gone.

Now, since the wobble was not completely gone I still wasn't satisfied. After balancing the front tire a THIRD time, I gave up and had Avon replace the tire. We did the same thing again, it took 30 grams to balance the assembly and the front end is smooth.

So...although I had a suspect tire my experience is you must air up and pop the beads to find the light spot on the tire. There is simply too much valley in the rim to make sure the unaired tire is centered.

Of course FWIW, YMMV...your experience may be different.

--G

Just a follow-up question, not having done my own mounting and balancing. Is this excessive in terms of effort and balance weight to get a balanced tire/wheel combination? Is this normal for other brands or is the Storm a bit off in terms of building a balanced tire.

My front wheel alone takes 22 grams to balance. The tire didn't need enough to worry about. This was as measured by my tire installer shop on their speed balancer.

I'm planning on buying a spin balancer & balancing the empty rims with a Dremel tool by removing the material from the slots in the spokes. I figure the less weights, the better.

dobias :glare:

My front wheel alone takes 22 grams to balance. The tire didn't need enough to worry about. This was as measured by my tire installer shop on their speed balancer.I'm planning on buying a spin balancer & balancing the empty rims with a Dremel tool by removing the material from the slots in the spokes. I figure the less weights, the better.

I thought about doing that, but was skeert to take a dremel to the wheel. My rear wheel is like 55grams out, opposite the stem. Would be very easy to grind it out of the inside of a spoke to get it a lot closer to balance. Is this (grinding) something that is done pretty commonly? I'd sure give it ago when my Storms are toast. I got enought lead back there to make a battery.

My front wheel alone takes 22 grams to balance. The tire didn't need enough to worry about. This was as measured by my tire installer shop on their speed balancer.I'm planning on buying a spin balancer & balancing the empty rims with a Dremel tool by removing the material from the slots in the spokes. I figure the less weights, the better.

I'm confused, wouldn't this increase the amount of weight you need? You put the heavy spot of the tire on the light side of the wheel, partially offsetting errors in both.