Ormond Loop - Florida

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git-r-dan

one of those musician types
Reaction score
So as some of you know, been in FL for this last month seeing my wife who's still working on past hurricane insurance claims. Four months ago, unexpectedly, had to go back home to TX to help take care of my Dad diagnosed w/ terminal cancer. We have had four great weekends, of which one was with the FL locals checking out the Ocala Forest. My wife and I took our last weekend adventure Saturday afternoon to St. Augustine and then Sunday down towards Daytona Beach to the Ormond Loop that was suggested by "Pickax". As the evening approached, romance filled the air on the patio of the "Old City Inn" restaurant with torch lighting, great food and music. Our waitress saw our mc jackets and wanted to see our ride cause her boyfriend had a mc. She came back after looking at our fjr and said, WOW!

When we got back to the hotel, we parked in the middle of about ten different mc's under the hotel's entrance. One highlight was the young dude that owned the BMW coming up and literally drooling on my FJR talking to his friends about how much he had read about it. :D

The next morning, we had breakfast, walked the beach and loaded up for the trip to the Ormond Loop. We read the history about this part of the country before starting the ride which gave us a better understanding and appreciation of the surroundings. There were no mountainous twisties that are usual to these ride reports but it did turn out to be a beautiful day with some great scenery. Thanks Brad for the Ormond Loop suggestion. Great ride! Now prepping for the trip back to TX via Hot Springs, AK.

Patio of the Old City Inn Restaurant

DSCN13310001.jpg

Do you think they ride a Yamaha?

DSCN13620001-1.jpg

DSCN13650001.jpg

DSCN13690001.jpg

DSCN13770001.jpg

DSCN13820001.jpg

DSCN13860001.jpg

DSCN13960001.jpg

DSCN13980001.jpg

DSCN14000001.jpg

Look how close that guy is to the water. I heard they have crocs down there ;)

Ain't it great to be out and about on the FJR?

Yeah, there some nice scenery when you know where to look. The wife and I rode up to Astor for lunch and then back through the Ocala Forest and then south back home. Nice ride! We're about 60 mi. south of Ormond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gitterdan,Looks like you had a nice ride,Please tell me the route for the ormond loop I'd like to try it sometime when I'm going to my mothers in cape canaveral.I've taken A1A along the coast from st augustine to daytona and that's a nice ride on the water.Hey rtsr1-fjr do you like the crossroads restuarant there in tits ville? I ate there a cuople weeks ago when visiting cape canaveral,I like the rock shrimp.

Hey rtsr1-fjr do you like the crossroads restuarant there in tits ville? I ate there a cuople weeks ago when visiting cape canaveral,I like the rock shrimp.
Actually the only thing I'll eat at Dixie Crossroads is they're Porterhouse steak. They bleach their shrimp and I can taste it. A LOT of people like it, but it no where's close to what it was like 30 yrs. ago. R. Thompson made a fortune off of rock shrimp! Used to be considered trash till he figured out how to serve them. If you want really good seafood go to the Boston Fish House in New Symurna. Theirs is flown in fresh every Mon. Excellent!

Thanks for the tip rtsr1 I'll try it sometime.

You ever eat at that hole in wall joint called corky bells in port st john, it burned down during one of the hurricanes and almost rebuilt,it had. some good fried seafood at reasonable prices

Thanks for the tip rtsr1 I'll try it sometime.You ever eat at that hole in wall joint called corky bells in port st john, it burned down during one of the hurricanes and almost rebuilt,it had. some good fried seafood at reasonable prices
They're still rebuilding it. Maybe this year! lol It was good back when. We'll see how it is when it opens.

Gitterdan, thank you very much for the link,I'll definately check that out next time I'm in Florida.

Thanks again.

Rtsr-1 how long you lived in tits-ville.Igrew up down in Florida during the 60's&70's.

My dad worked on the apollo program and it was a great place to be.

I went to M.I.H.S. class of 72.

You ever eat at that hole in wall joint called corky bells in port st john, it burned down during one of the hurricanes and almost rebuilt,it had. some good fried seafood at reasonable prices
They're still rebuilding it. Maybe this year! lol It was good back when. We'll see how it is when it opens.
There is a Corky Bell's Seafood that opened up a few months back on Hwy 17 between Green Cove Springs and Orange Park........

Hi Dan

Those pics remind me of Florida

Sorry you'll be missing our IRON BUTT run this weekend.

Have a good trip.

Come again soon.

Regards

Glen .

There is a Corky Bell's Seafood that opened up a few months back on Hwy 17 between Green Cove Springs and Orange Park........
This ones between Titusville and Cocoa Fla.

Gitterdan, thank you very much for the link,I'll definately check that out next time I'm in Florida.Thanks again.

Rtsr-1 how long you lived in tits-ville.Igrew up down in Florida during the 60's&70's.

We moved here in '69. Went to school at THS and graduated in '72 also. Been working on the Shuttle program for 16 yrs. now. I'm sure our paths have crossed! lol

Gitterdan, thank you very much for the link,I'll definately check that out next time I'm in Florida.Thanks again.

We moved here in '69. Went to school at THS and graduated in '72 also. Been working on the Shuttle program for 16 yrs. now. I'm sure our paths have crossed! lol
If you played basketball, I probably really did run into ya. lol

I'll have to look you up next time I'm down for a visit,maybe you can show me the 11 curves in 318 miles.

One other thing did you know a guy named eddie sermons, he was a THS football stud who almost killed me on the basketball court lol.

If you played basketball, I probably really did run into ya. lol

I'll have to look you up next time I'm down for a visit,maybe you can show me the 11 curves in 318 miles.

One other thing did you know a guy named eddie sermons, he was a THS football stud who almost killed me on the basketball court lol.
Eddie house was 2 blocks from mine! lol I didn't play B-ball though. Small world

Wow. Great post and pics, glitterdan. Florida is a teriffic place to ride. January is my time there.

Dan

Glad you hit the loop and St. Augustine. Its our little treasure amongst the growth everywhere. Good fishing too.

RT, your right , Dixie crossroads aint what it used to be, not worth the drive anymore. thanks for the tip on corky bells, We'll check it out.