Other Polycarbonate windshield manufacturers...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeames

Reaction score
Other than the Yamaha brand touring windshield, and the V-Stream, does anyone know of any other manufacturers that make a Polycarbonate touring (taller) windshield for a 2012 FJR1300?

Cee Bailey, Rifle, Puig, and Cal-sci are all Acrylic...

I have the Yamaha touring shield now, but I'm looking for an even taller windshield (2-4" taller) that's polycarbonate (not acrylic). The V-stream is Polycarbonate, but it's shorter than the Yamaha touring windscreen.

Any know of any other companies?

I left this unanswered overnight in case somebody else knew something I might have missed, but I did a fair amount of homework when I looked for a windshield for my Gen 3. I couldn't find anybody third-party offering polycarbonate other than V-Stream, but I thought they offered a +6...at least in a Gen 3 model...you might double-check or contact them.

CalSci claims there's are "certified impact resistant", but think they're still acryllic and have seen them split from bird strikes.

I only saw one listed for a Gen II and it was actually shorter than the Yamaha Touring one I have.

Didn't think to ask if they offer others they don't list or custom screens. Good idea.

Sounds like pretty much no one else does.

May have to go with acrylic

Thanks. .

I went ahead and ordered the Sport Touring windscreen. I hope that is big enough. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I think it should be enough. I think I would be looking through the Touring screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three sizes for Gen III's. I only see one for a Gen II.

I think I may go with CalSci's largest. It's about 2.5" taller than my Yam Touring screen. That's a little less than I'd like, but I've heard nothing but good about them so far.

Decided to pull the trigger on a Rich's custom seat first however. Probably wait till that is done as it may effect my ride hieght.

Thanks all.

Impact resistant acrylic is generally made with a modified polymer, which will certainly improve its strength, but certainly not to the level of poly-carbonate.

Do keep in mind that poly-carbonate is considerably softer than acrylic and will scratch more easily without the ability to be polished out. (It may also yellow over time)

Acrylic is considerably harder, a bit more scratch resistant, and can be polished out if necessary.

For aviation, we tend to see a lot of acrylic in use for smaller/slower aircraft, while something like a jet fighter will use poly-carbonate and acrylic laminated together.

Impact resistant acrylic is generally made with a modified polymer, which will certainly improve its strength, but certainly not to the level of poly-carbonate.
Do keep in mind that poly-carbonate is considerably softer than acrylic and will scratch more easily without the ability to be polished out. (It may also yellow over time)

Acrylic is considerably harder, a bit more scratch resistant, and can be polished out if necessary.

For aviation, we tend to see a lot of acrylic in use for smaller/slower aircraft, while something like a jet fighter will use poly-carbonate and acrylic laminated together.
All true, but...

I've had a V-Stream on my Hondapotamus for over 5 years with not one scratch, no yellowing.

Keep in mind that I don't scrub it with dirt on it and don't use paper towels either. Seems to me that the minor inconvenience of RTFM and care have paid dividends. When it rains (rare around here) the water still beads & goes away.

I also have a V-Stream on my FJR (Gen 1). When I bought Lucille (née Miss Lucy Liu) from Beemerdons, she had the Yamaha touring screen. In 2003 both the regular and Touring screens were smaller. I rode her for over a year before winning the V-stream as a door prize at the Motorcycle show.

Being a bit taller person, I look over the screen. But the V-stream's design does a wonderful job of moving the air such that I'm quite comfortable, even on 500-700 mile days.

There are other options (non-polycarbonate) that have loyal users, too.

Happy hunting.

I installed the V-stream sport touring windshield today and drove to work. It will be coming right back off when I get home in the morning. I would rather have clean air than that buffeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the sport touring windshield today and drove to work. It will be coming right back off when I get home in the morning.
Yeah, my V-stream would be the first windshield I would get rid of. In fact, I think I'll grab it next time I'm up in the attic and get it on eBay.

I installed my third Yamaha Touring windshield (first one on my '14) then took off for a nice leisurely 950 mile three day ride last Thursday. I know there are a lot of opinions out there but for me this one does a really good job. It actually sits an inch or two higher than it did on my '11.

I installed my third Yamaha Touring windshield (first one on my '14) then took off for a nice leisurely 950 mile three day ride last Thursday. I know there are a lot of opinions out there but for me this one does a really good job. It actually sits an inch or two higher than it did on my '11.
I will have to give that one a try next. This must be one of those things where what works for one person just don't work for someone else. Either that or I just read some BS.

I will have to give that one a try next. This must be one of those things where what works for one person just don't work for someone else. Either that or I just read some BS.
No, windshields are VERY personal. Almost more so than seats. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. I've been pretty lucky. I was OK with my stock shield, and the tinted CeeBailey reverse flip I replaced it with works fine too. I hear some wind, and I'm sure there are quieter options, but it's a motorcycle, not a Corolla. Some people don't understand that last part...

The last couple posts confirm that windshield preferences are very individual and most importantly, FJR Gen specific. Seems like a lot of Gen II owners love the Vstream and I'm one of them that runs it all winter for great wind protection and reduced buffeting. Of course, the Gen II Vstream was only offered in one version that is almost 4 inches taller and much wider at the top.

Now that we're getting into warmer weather, the Cee Bailey +2 high flip shield is going on to allow more airflow and yet still not buffet like the stock shield.

BTW, about 100,000 miles on those shields combined and both still look great. I don't wash them constantly (just like the bike itself) and when I do it's with Plexus and a microfiber cloth or running water and soapy sponge. On the road, bugs are softened with a hot towel out of the hotel room before being wiped off with no scraping. Can't speak to durability in a crash and hope to not be able to provide that input. ;)

I purchased the Yamaha touring shield for my Gen III. It is 1/2 in wider and 4 inches taller than stock and it is made by Nation Cycle. Great for the winter but I think it will be too tall for the summer.