Pack a topbox? Or pack a bag to put IN the topbox?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
What's your preference? Normally when I travel for aweekend or something with the woman, I bring the sidebags and topbox off the bike and in the house and pack them. Then I detach them and bring them in the hotel. But is there a better way to use the space and save the weight of carrying the box WITH the stuff in it?

Alexi

I find I have more room (and less weight) without adding an extra bag to the mix. The top case (a Shad 50) will often stay on the bike with just the sides coming inside the hotel but is no heavier or cumbersome than a hardshell suitcase when I want to bring it in.

Hope this helps ya!

I use the Yami liners in the sidebags and just pop those out at the hotel. I find it's easier, and safer for the bags. Doing it that way is less likely to scratch the bags IMO, and more space in the hotel room. I will on occasion bring in the Givi backbox.

I have the Yamaha trunk and I found I already owned a lightweight rectangular shaped nylon bag that fits perfectly inside. It only weighs a few ounces and takes up essentially zero space. It's far easier to carry it with its soft sides than it is to carry the relatively heavy and bulky trunk.

I use the Yami liners in the sidebags and just pop those out at the hotel. I find it's easier, and safer for the bags. Doing it that way is less likely to scratch the bags IMO, and more space in the hotel room. I will on occasion bring in the Givi backbox.
Ditto.

I also store bike related stuff and other items I don't need in the motel, such as rain gear, bike cover, etc in the right bag and I leave it on the bike. The top box is usually only half full as I have to leave room for the liners and other take off gear when the day warms up. When I only use the trunk and leave the side bags at home (4-5 day trips) I pack in smaller nylon bags and usually fill the trunk, packing the liners in a small bag to compress them.

I prefer to take the hard bags in the room. Keeps anyone from trying to get into them in to see if there are any valuables left on the bike. Usually those people aren't very kind to your property.

Could ruin a trip, miles from anywhere with set of bags that will no longer close/lock.

I also use the yammi liners for the side bags. Very handy. One for me, one for the pillion. The Givi is used for gear used during the trip i.e. rain gear, small cooler, extra gloves, jacket and pants liners (if weather appropriate), etc.

Like others have posted......I too use the soft bags inside the cases. I find the soft bag is much easier to throw over your shoulder than the hard case.

Although, Barb has a valid point. That's why I always park it right in front of the main door to the hotel I am at. Well that and the Scorpio (with shock sensor). Then again.......oh nevermind.

I also use the yammi liners for the side bags. Very handy. One for me, one for the pillion. The Givi is used for gear used during the trip i.e. rain gear, small cooler, extra gloves, jacket and pants liners (if weather appropriate), etc.
+1

touring is solo, so right side liner is tools, spares, repair stuff and stays on the bike (gawd willing...) :blink:

I have a 2005 FJR. I am considering buying the OEM touring trunk but I keep seeing that it is not recommended to use it with the saddle bags due to risk of overloading. I always use the saddlebags when I tour, and would do so if I had the OEM trunk mounted, so there would be no point to having the trunk if this is a legitimate concern. I don't plan on "overloading" the bike. What am I missing? Is this just factory disclaimer paranoia or is it a real concern I should worry about? I looked on the forum and this was the closest thread I could find, so if I missed prior posts answering the question, forgive me.

Has anyone had any issues or problems using the factory trunk and the factory hard bags at the same time?

I have close to 100,000 miles with FJR side bags and Yami top bag, 2-up. Just switched to a Givi E52 for some extra space and bought the Givi liner bag for the E52.

However, my main reason for the topbox liner is so that I don't have to disconnect/re-connect the auxiliary lighting for topbox removal. Plus when you're riding 2-up, the top box is always on the bike for the passenger's backrest. I'm planning to get lots of use out of all three liners simultaneously.

nope, not at all...and I don't weigh anything...if it'll physically fit in whatever...it goes in without hesitation
+1. If it fits then it goes. Don't think too much about it. Don't see too much use for the liners, either. On trips I usually have the bags packed so full that it is almost like a puzzle to get everything to fit. The liners would just make this more difficult.

I just pack the bags without any liners. I take all of the bags into the hotel at night. I just don't trust people and why give them any ideas. While on the road the E52 is empty when its cold. As the day warms up I have a nice place to put extra layers, gloves and my helmet. The side bags are usually full of rain gear and extra clothes and camping stuff. Tank bag has snacks and misc. stuff. When I camp the tent and sleeping pad go on the back seat.

I only ride solo and have never had any issues with all of the bags loaded even at higher tripple digit speeds. :rolleyes: Bike is steady.

Last edited by a moderator: