Paint match for Cerulean Silver?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridave

Reaction score
Well, doesn't have to be a perfect match. This weekend I'm going to paint the orange band going around my Bestem topbox(plastic). I can use aeresol or I have a sprayer.

Any suggestions for what paint I should use? I just want something that will work on the plastic, and be as close as possible, but need to be able to pick it up at walmart/autozone, something simple.

There is nothing that I know of that is +similar color +simple +fast +available locally. There is paint info in the Bin o' Facts Gen 1 - Bin 'o Facts Gen II, about half way down the pages, but there is no immediate gratification.

Take one of the saddle bag hole covers with you as a color sample and go to an auto parts store that carries auto body paints. You may have better luck with non-chain stores. The FJR is painted Cerulean Silver with a clear coat. The metal flake in the Cerulean Silver is an odd size so most paints won't match up very well even if the color is close.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing that I know of that is +similar color +simple +fast +available locally.
I think the word you used above SIMILAR is the question. That strip is this odd orange color now, so anything will be nicer. The box only costs $80 so I really don't want to spent a lot of time/trouble/money to paint that one orange strip. Had I known how much I would like this on my bike, I'd have got the Givi. And might at some point, but this thing is working just fine.

You know what I think I'm going to do, and I'll probably have better luck, is try to get close to the silver at the tank/seat junction.

Anyone know what that would be? It's much more of a pure silver.

Thanks,

This is basically what I want to do.

579426407_bogMX-L.jpg

I'd paint it for you for $25 plus return shipping. I have some Colorrite here which is as close as you're gonna get - trust me... ;) PM me if interested.

If you don't already know....this???? Gurauld does great work and his paint mathes if you ask me. I have his work on my bike.

Dave

What part of the box are you trying to paint. I did not see and orange stripe.
That's not a pic of my bike, that's what I'm going to do. It's that piece going around the front of the box, that matches to the light bar. That's a godawefull orange on mine. Kind of a faded out color. Even the grayish silver used on that one(or maybe it came that way), looks much nicer than mine.

garauld, you're over qualified for this piddly thing and it's not that big a deal. I build guitars so have the stuff to spray it, (though not as well as you I'm sure).

I just wondered if someone knew of a similar color could pick up.

Thanks guys.

What part of the box are you trying to paint.
It's the silvered rib piece in front of the rear red section... He's messin with yur brain... and photoshop. :p

Hey! I wouldn't do that :rolleyes: Come'on Johnny, that orange stripe, right THERE! Don't you see it?? Keep looking...

I really didn't photoshop that, it's someone elses bike, I just found the pic

here is what mine is like, around the front, you see where the light bar stops and the orange piece starts. I think mine looks more off color than that. The box works great, I like it, but that piece just looks like crap.

bestem_top_box_index4.gif

..well if you are gonna spray it, I recommend lightly sanding it with 320 - 400 grit paper first and then applying some Bulldog adhesion promoter - available at Walmart, before painting your color.

..well if you are gonna spray it, I recommend lightly sanding it with 320 - 400 grit paper first and then applying some Bulldog adhesion promoter - available at Walmart, before painting your color.

I appreciate that, I'll look for the adhesion promoter.

This is better. I ended up using Rustoleum metallic aluminum with plastic primer. It's not close to the Cerulean Silver, but pretty darn close to the frame and other silver color.

[SIZE=14pt]Before...[/SIZE]

FJRBoxOrange.JPG

[SIZE=14pt]After...[/SIZE]

FJRBoxSilver.JPG