Paint Protection from Bungees

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
My Nelson-Riggs passenger seat trunk just arrived from New Enough-(great buy for $46 plus shipping). I'm going to put it on my 01 FZ1 and use it along with a small Givi top case to try touring on.

The bungees are going to rub on the rear plastic. Any suggestions on a type of tape to protect the paint? Considering Electrician's tape, clear package tape but am worried about the latter damaging the paint. TIA Ian, Iowa

Anything sticky enough will adhere to the paint, surprisingly well, and will keep some paint when removed.

I'm wondering about maybe some of that clear vinyl sold as shelf paper in cabinets. Stick a piece between the bike and the bungee.

I use the blue painter's tape. It's not pretty but it's thick and it comes off easy without residue. I need it when I put my Ventura pack on the back of the bike so it doesn't rub the paint off that rear grab-bar handle thing.

Another vote for blue painters tape. Not the best looking, but when necessary does a good job of protecting the plastic.

Good Luck!

--G

The sides of my VFR were scuffed to crap from the straps on the first soft luggage I bought...why didn't I invest in the givis? Anyways, I bought some black 3m adhesive backed vynol (sp) from a sign maker and layed that on the sides of the bike of the rear. You could heat it and stretch it slightly for curved edges and it came off with out leaving hardly any residue. cost was $10 or less if I remember correctly. They also have it in several colors.

Corey

I have 3M helicopter blade tape, 8 mil thick. how much do you need? I can send you some, I have 4" wide tape. PM me if you want some

What about making up some sort of soft / padded tubes that could be slipped over the tail bag's straps? Make them out of some thick polar fleece or something like that. Then you won't have to worry about any sticker residue issues.

Snider's clear film sheets. Made just for what you're doing. Available at Aerostitches site and directly from Snyder's I believe. I've seen it in Friction Zone Magazine, too.
https://www.aerostich.com/snider-s-paint-guard.html
I've always wanted to try this stuff.

In the meantime, I've been using some of the static cling sunshade material sold at auto parts stores. It comes in 4" wide strips and is meant to adhere to the very top of your cage windshield. Sometimes they have a logo on them, but I found ones without. I've cut pieces to protect the leading edge of the main fairing (behind the front wheel) and for other spots prone to scuffs. Since it is static cling, there is no glue - just get the surface clean before applying. I have yet to have a piece fly off. You can take them off to clean the bike and then stick them right back on. It conform to curves okay, but you will need to cut and overlap with irregular shapes. On my Black Cherry color, you can barely notice it on there, but I'm sure the clear Snider version would look a little better.

Its worth a try - I only paid a few bucks for a whole roll.

Here is one thing that helps. A good secure tie-down point, once you figure out where to mount it (I put some on my side cases on the last FJR).

BBUD.gif

I don't use them now 'cuz I gave up bungees for Rok Straps. Many dealers and websites offer them, too.

9087_1la.jpg

It's a much better product than bungees. Stronger, no metal tips to scratch paint. Or come off inadvertently. Or snap back and lodge in your eyeball. (All of which has been discussed on this forum a lot.) Lot of users here; ask around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using some 1/4" black vinyl elec tubing. clicky The same stuff that I'm using for my spider harnesses.

I cut a 3" piece, then cut it length wise so it can be put over a bungee like wire loom. After it's on then wrap it with elec tape. If you don't tape it too tight, then you can slide it on the bungee to where you need it.

I have over 100' of it so if anyone wants some PM me and I'll send it, no charge. 1 foot will make enough for the 4 bungees.

Last edited by a moderator:
****!! Protect your paint from Bungee? Might I be so bold as to suggest protecting your ass from that guy?

Steve has some really weird tendency's..

:jester:

Clear contact paper should work wonders, as should any static cling vinyl. If you are super worried about your paint, lay down several coats of high integrity wax first.