Passenger peg extensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have passenger peg extensions on their bike? What are your likes/dislikes? Please post up. I'm mainly concerned whether it's possible for a passenger to avoid melting their heels with a peg extension with these dimensions. Secondly I'm wondering how much ground clearance is sacrificed.

Yes, I did Google this forum and didn't find any relevant results.

I've found some passenger peg extensions online:

THESE look like about 4 inches out and also forward and down. Look like they'd be great for passenger comfort, but may cause peg grinding during spirited riding.

I’m also considering making some extensions that move the passenger peg out 1 inch, down 2.5 inches and forward 2.5 inches. Anyone see a problem with these dimensions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Forum search with this search string and got 2 pages of hits: +passenger +peg* +extend*

I used the Forum search with this search string and got 12 pages of hits: +passenger +peg*

The search 'wild card' * says that any ending to the word is valid, so extend* can match extender, extended, extending, etc.

I put them on my 07, my wife likes them although she really doesn't ride to much anymore (bad back). A side bonus is that is that even when I'm out by myself I rest my heel on the peg pivot bolt kinda nice for when I need to move my feet around or pushing the curvers.

No issues touching down.

She does have to watch where her heels are though or she can melt them on the pipes.

I got'em on mine cause of the wifes bad knees. She likes them but i think they look like crap. Just don't go well with the rest of the bike. I haven't had any grounding issues so far, or any shoe melting.

I have the lowering kit and Knifemaker's floorboards for the wife. Those corrected the wife's knee angle so that it doesn't hurt as much after a couple of hundred miles, and also, she doesn't seem to hit me as much when we stop or decelerate. The angle allows her to push more with her legs and keep upright. Somewhere, we also came up with some heat shields for the pipes so no heel marks.

The floorboards do not "look" right, almost like little mini wings on the back especially if folded up, but function before form in this case, they work great for her. I have not tried to use them on a long ride as an alternate foot rest place, usually just use the Wild Bill pegs up front.

I have the lowering kit and Knifemaker's floorboards ...
I have this same set up. It was a must as the kids grew into their teen years with their longer legs. My choice was either to get a set up like this, or to just stop feeding them.

Never had problems with melting boot soles.

I have a set on the FJR. The wife loves them except during spirited riding when I sometimes drag her boots/pegs.

I have the lowering kit and Knifemaker's floorboards for the wife. Those corrected the wife's knee angle so that it doesn't hurt as much after a couple of hundred miles, and also, she doesn't seem to hit me as much when we stop or decelerate. The angle allows her to push more with her legs and keep upright. Somewhere, we also came up with some heat shields for the pipes so no heel marks.

====================================

What/where is the lowering kit......

Like others, I have peg extenders and Knifemaker's floorboards for my long legged 5'7" pillion who got knee pain (esp. in left knee) without them. I bought my extenders used at CFR from BugR and installed them there before GF flew in to co-pilot the second half of that 2 week trip, so we've never used the extenders or floorboards independently.

Endorsed by the blond as the best farkle ever (if you want your pillion to be comfortable). And guys -- you know the rule: if your pillion is female and she's uncomfortable, you're going to field enough bitching and complaining that you're going to be even more uncomfortable (augmented by farkles like intercoms). No way the blond could go 150 miles without great discomfort until I put this combination on. With them, she's gone over 500 miles in a day without complaint.

No clearance issues, no marks on muffler -- I'm running a 4-2-1 Muzzy with a single Ti can.

I know a couple vendors sell extenders, but don't know what I have because I bought them used and didn't really care. Only source I know for floorboards is Knifemaker, but in another thread, I think he said that you have until Nov. 28 to order a pair, and that he won't be making another run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others, I have peg extenders and Knifemaker's floorboards for my long legged 5'7" pillion who got knee pain (esp. in left knee) without them. I bought my extenders used at CFR from BugR and installed them there before GF flew in to co-pilot the second half of that 2 week trip, so we've never used the extenders or floorboards independently.
Endorsed by the blond as the best farkle ever (if you want your pillion to be comfortable). And guys -- you know the rule: if your pillion is female and she's uncomfortable, you're going to field enough bitching and complaining that you're going to be even more uncomfortable (augmented by farkles like intercoms). No way the blond could go 150 miles without great discomfort until I put this combination on. With them, she's gone over 500 miles in a day without complaint.

No clearance issues, no marks on muffler -- I'm running a 4-2-1 Muzzy with a single Ti can.

I know a couple vendors sell extenders, but don't know what I have because I bought them used and didn't really care. Only source I know for floorboards is Knifemaker, but in another thread, I think he said that you have until Nov. 28 to order a pair, and that he won't be making another run.
Glad to hear that they went to a good home.

Tip for you, see if you can get her to ride on her own bike!

Only downside is that sometimes you can't catch her :lol:

chris

Glad to hear that they went to a good home. Tip for you, see if you can get her to ride on her own bike!

Only downside is that sometimes you can't catch her :lol:

chris
She took the MSF course in August, and wants to start with a dual sport (maybe a used KLR 250). Probably next spring or summer. Mucho thanks for those extenders in such a timely fashion . . . from me and the blond.