Passenger/Pilot Communication Talk to me Goose!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yowser

Reaction score
What seems to be the most reliable/durable choice for a two way radio system. I have no experience with any of them and I figured you all have filtered the not so good ones out for me. I am looking to be able to communicate with my passenger and listen to the Ipod/Iriver. Full face helmets btw. Also have a garmin streetpilot III on the way, not sure if it can be put into the same system.

Any input would be helpful. Mainly if it is worth the money and hassle of comunicating with my passenger.

What seems to be the most reliable/durable choice for a two way radio system. I have no experience with any of them and I figured you all have filtered the not so good ones out for me. I am looking to be able to communicate with my passenger and listen to the Ipod/Iriver. Full face helmets btw. Also have a garmin streetpilot III on the way, not sure if it can be put into the same system.Any input would be helpful. Mainly if it is worth the money and hassle of comunicating with my passenger.
If that's all you are looking at doing, you don't need a radio system, but a passenger/rider intercom. Typically, radios are reserved for bike to bike type communication. There are many choices, and you will NOT find a consensus on which system is best on this forum, or likely any other forum either.

Many people here have positive experiences with StarCom1 Advance and Autocom. For everyone that says one is better, someone else will say the other is better.

I have the StarCom1 and am very pleased (available to forum members with a 10% discount). I have my Zumo GPS (which connects my cell phone, has a built in MP3 player, XM radio, and GPS voice prompts), and allows for my radar detector as well as allowing me to talk with my pillion handsfree. It also allows for a radio (your choice of CB, FRS, GRMS, etc) for bike to bike communication.

I couldn't be happier.

Now, having said all that, I will encourage you to use the search feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Ponyfool says you'll find so many opinions here your bound to like one of 'em.

I'll go gunny on the autocom. (of course I'd also send the streetpilot back and get a Zumo. As Renegade would say "it's da shiz!")

...there, now we're fair and balanced.

As Ponyfool says you'll find so many opinions here your bound to like one of 'em.
I'll go gunny on the autocom. (of course I'd also send the streetpilot back and get a Zumo. As Renegade would say "it's da shiz!")

...there, now we're fair and balanced.
Yes the zumo would have been nice, but I am on a budget, hopefully the street pilot won't get me lost.

6mmbr, your signature is so true, go button guns are not cheap. But they are fun, my buddy has a quiet mp5 full, puts a smile on your face.

I recently bought the Cardo Scarla "Team Set" Bluetooth intercom system (discounted $178) and can't rave enough about it. It is voice activated, has excellent noise canceling capability, automatic volume control, full duplex conversation and, of course, it's wireless! It will also interact with a Bluetooth enabled phone and presumably other Bluetooth devices. I can hear my wife at virtually any speed and the sound is clear and free of wind and exhaust noises. Did I mention that it is wireless? I'm a happy camper!

I recently bought the Cardo Scarla "Team Set" Bluetooth intercom system (discounted $178) and can't rave enough about it. It is voice activated, has excellent noise canceling capability, automatic volume control, full duplex conversation and, of course, it's wireless! It will also interact with a Bluetooth enabled phone and presumably other Bluetooth devices. I can hear my wife at virtually any speed and the sound is clear and free of wind and exhaust noises. Did I mention that it is wireless? I'm a happy camper!
+1

A little static interference and pressure points on the ears at times, otherwise a great gadget. My girlfriend loves it too.

Can I plug my mp3 player into it and listen to music? I found one for 162.00.

The only reason I didn't go Bluetooth yet is because I frequently go on rides that last more than 4 hours. For example, the ride to and from WFO were 14 and 15 hour rides. It would really suck to only have communication or music for 4 of the 15 hours.

Plus, most Bluetooth systems don't do stereo music yet.

I have an Autocom system on my bike, but the plugging and unplugging of cables, while not a hardship, is a bit annoying. So I've been looking at what's out there and did evaluate the Cardo Rider. Not for me:

1. The mount is a bit 'light' - if you drop your helmet, you can break the base (or even the module).

2. It isn't stereo and supports only limited external connectivity (though I could 'build that out' with their Bluetooth adapter that I would suppose could plug into my Autocom).

3. Short battery life. I rarely ride only 7 hours when I head out.

Note that you can buy this as a stand-slone system (the master module only) and that they come in single speaker and dual speaker versions (noting that dual does not mean Stereo), which isn't an issue except when listening to the FM radio, your only music option in the system.

My Autocom is wired to my 276c, my cell phone (I may go Bluetooth for this soon), my iPod and a GMRS 2 way radio, as well as to my (never there) passenger. I use Westone UM-2 earphones to connect to my brain and I have a manual PTT switch for the radio that I may eventually get around to installing on this bike.

If you only need phone and intercom, then the reviews imply this this is a great system. But you won't know until you get one attached to your helmet. There is a video review, but it was done by a geek on a scooter.

What seems to be the most reliable/durable choice for a two way radio system. I have no experience with any of them and I figured you all have filtered the not so good ones out for me. I am looking to be able to communicate with my passenger and listen to the Ipod/Iriver. Full face helmets btw. Also have a garmin streetpilot III on the way, not sure if it can be put into the same system.Any input would be helpful. Mainly if it is worth the money and hassle of comunicating with my passenger.
I recently purchased the new Blueant Interphone systems. I think these come out of a company in Australia. Easy to find

them on the internet or Ebay. I got a great price on a pair, about 230.00 on Ebay. These are bluetooth units with intercom/phone/GPS connection. NO WIRES! Work like a charm. Used them with my wife on a 550 mile drip to Deals Gap a few weeks ago. Rechargeable battery life is decent on a long ride using intercom 7-8 hours, but just using for monitoring phone it will last a week or two for rides to work. Can't wait to get my Zumo and really get a chance to use these!

Gerald

+1 Starcom Call Jeff @ Bike effects
Need I remind you that +1 is no longer allowed on this site, the preferred term is now "Gunny"

Please refer to THIS THREAD for details. If that doesn't help, HERE is the original thread that started it all.
Thanks for issuing that reminder. I must have missed those posts and have been a little perplexed by all the gunny references. Now I get it. Better late than never.

I have the Scala Rider Teamset and was raves about it, until one of the clamps broke. The part is not available from Cardo, but they will be more than happy to sell you an entire headset. I made sure they knew how I felt about that. The clamp is a plastic piece about 1/8th inch thick, and over-tightening the mount screws just a tiny bit snaps it clean in twain. The Auburn University School of Engineering torque spec: break it and back off half a turn.

I had no need for music, or GPS prompting, just cell and intercom. It was great, but now I've got to figure some way to re-mount Mrs. Me's device. (It was actually mine I broke, but since I'm on the bike more, I stole her clamp.)

Passenger cannot make a phone call, but can be tied into a call in progress. Passenger's headset is not Bluetooth, cannot be paired with its own devices, only with the driver's headset. Wireless was a real plus, nothing to install and wire on the bike, and nothing to forget when dismounting, causing everyone at the hotel/restaurant/mall/bar/club/beach/whatever to laugh at you.

I saw battery life mentioned before, and I've had the opposite experience. This thing lasts forever! I ride to work, and a bit in the evenings, maybe an hour a day minimum. I've recharged the headset ONCE since I bought it a month ago, and that was last night, and it wasn't dead, yet, or flashing the low batt warning. i just didn't believe it could still be going! I've had some times where VOX didn't work, had to initiate intercom with the buttons on the helmet unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read everything over the last few months from various forums concerning headsets/communication systems. After researching I decided to go with the Blueant Interphone System which is out of Australia I think. Been using it for a couple of months, my wife and I both have these. Units work great. No real problems, voice dial even works with my samsung Alltel phone. Battery life on a trip to Deals Gap using intercom most of the day is 7 to 8 hours. Battery life using phone only is......................... ? Been a week, not charged yet. Used it in rain, talked on phone at 80mph (I know I shouldn't) but I ride 90 mi a day round trip to work. Getting ready to add the Zumo and hopefully that will work as good as the headsets.

Just like the Scala Rider I broke one of the clips on these during helmet install, super glue fixed it for now, guess what, no replacement parts for these either, although customer service contact is excellent. Go to ebay and buy them, I got 2 sets, full bluetooth capability for both, rider to rider up to 500 feet, paid 230.00. Look for ebay seller Chubbycutegirl.

Hope this helps,

Gerald

07FJR

+1 Starcom Call Jeff @ Bike effects
Need I remind you that +1 is no longer allowed on this site, the preferred term is now "Gunny"

Please refer to THIS THREAD for details. If that doesn't help, HERE is the original thread that started it all.
Thanks for issuing that reminder. I must have missed those posts and have been a little perplexed by all the gunny references. Now I get it. Better late than never.
+1 on Gunny! :)

Getting ready to add the Zumo and hopefully that will work as good as the headsets.
The problem you will encounter is, the Zumo does NOT broadcast MP3, XM, or navigation prompts via BlueTooth, so you are still going to need to connect an alternative in order to use these features.

I've read everything over the last few months from various forums concerning headsets/communication systems. After researching I decided to go with the Blueant Interphone System which is out of Australia I think. Been using it for a couple of months, my wife and I both have these. Units work great. No real problems, voice dial even works with my samsung Alltel phone. Battery life on a trip to Deals Gap using intercom most of the day is 7 to 8 hours. Battery life using phone only is......................... ? Been a week, not charged yet. Used it in rain, talked on phone at 80mph (I know I shouldn't) but I ride 90 mi a day round trip to work. Getting ready to add the Zumo and hopefully that will work as good as the headsets.Just like the Scala Rider I broke one of the clips on these during helmet install, super glue fixed it for now, guess what, no replacement parts for these either, although customer service contact is excellent. Go to ebay and buy them, I got 2 sets, full bluetooth capability for both, rider to rider up to 500 feet, paid 230.00. Look for ebay seller Chubbycutegirl.

Hope this helps,

Gerald

07FJR Gerald I have looked at these but thought that the mounting was a little suspect. Here's my question, could you super glue a small patch of velcro to both the helmet and the unit and just velcro the thing on just a thought. Thanks Stan.