PC III usb - Whistler Cruisader Incompatibility

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickf

Reaction score
I just installed a PC II usb on my '06 AE. I am waiting for a gas mileage check before writing rave reviews. But there is an odd incompatibility problem with the Whistler Cruisarder radar detector. For those of you not familiar, the Whistler unit allows for a plug-in laser detector and lead. I mounted this detector just below the headlights, and the Whistler main unit is mounted on the brake master cylinder reservoir. The PC II usb is mounted below where the rider's seat latches into position, a good long way from the radar detector stuff. Anyhoo, when I tested out the PC II, I discovered that the detector went nuts with laser signal whenever I opened the throttle above about 3/4. The detector would stay lit for a few seconds after I rolled off the throttle. Disconnecting the laser lead from the main whistler unit solved the “problem”. Of course, I have lost any laser warning capability I might have had, what ever that is worth.

Anybody got any ideas about what is happening?

Probably a bunch of other ideas to follow. My $0.02:

Can you recreate in the garage? If so, try checking voltage levels with a multimeter to your radar detector power source and make sure they're not dropping for some reason.

The only possibility I can think of is that the lead from your laser detector is picking up too much noise at higher engine RPMs. Try pulling the laser unit out, and plug it in while it's in your pocket, or somewhere that the wires are not near the engine or any other bike's wires.

I had the Cruisader on my bike, and had to get rid of it because every time any of my HD buddies with the HD alarm system rode with me, the damn thing would alert. Never did figure it out, just got rid of it.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Last edited by a moderator: