PC111 m.p.g. OVER STOCK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LALAW9

Reaction score
IS THE PC 111 WORTH THE MONEY,I have 2 bro's pipes and a k&n fileter is it worth the money to get one?? Also M.P.G. how bad will it change??? :huh:

IS THE PC 111 WORTH THE MONEY,I have 2 bro's pipes and a k&n fileter is it worth the money to get one?? Also M.P.G. how bad will it change??? :huh:
Why do you want it? What problems are you having.

Only after knowing that could anyone say whether it would be "worth it".

On my 1st gen I found the cruise speed lean surging to be intolerable. It could not be eliminated with the Barbarian Jumper mod, so yes, for me it was worth the price of a PCIII. Hard to say how much mileage I lost. Maybe 2-3 mpg. I can still get over 40 mpg if I baby it (which isn't that often).

Last edited by a moderator:
My completely stock 07 FJR has very poor throttle response off idle. Installing the PCIII fixed it for me, but at the cost of reduced mileage. I initially ran the "modified for Gen II Wally smoothness" map and it dropped my mileage about 4mpg. I've since gone to the stock bike map that comes with the PCIII and the mileage has gone back up a mile or two. I'm still not sure if I've lost any of the off idle smoothness with the stock map. Someone else recently came up with another new "blended" map that combines Wally smoothness at low rpm with stock at higher rpms. Maybe I'll try that one next?

Bottom line is that mileage will go down some because stock bikes always run too lean and if you add more fuel, you'll burn more fuel. Duh, I'm a rocket scientist and didn't even know it! :blink: I feel like the reduced mileage is worth the increased driveability.

My completely stock 07 FJR has very poor throttle response off idle. Installing the PCIII fixed it for me, but at the cost of reduced mileage. I initially ran the "modified for Gen II Wally smoothness" map and it dropped my mileage about 4mpg. I've since gone to the stock bike map that comes with the PCIII and the mileage has gone back up a mile or two. I'm still not sure if I've lost any of the off idle smoothness with the stock map. Someone else recently came up with another new "blended" map that combines Wally smoothness at low rpm with stock at higher rpms. Maybe I'll try that one next?

Bottom line is that mileage will go down some because stock bikes always run too lean and if you add more fuel, you'll burn more fuel. Duh, I'm a rocket scientist and didn't even know it! :blink: I feel like the reduced mileage is worth the increased driveability.

+1. Got rid of the surging too.

Was worth it to me on my '07. I ran the smoothness map for awhile and my range dropped from 200 to about 160. I've since changed to a different map (stock I think, or modified stock, I forget) and my range is back up to the area of 200 again. Smooth as a babys ass at low speeds.

On my 06 the PCIII fixed the off->on throttle transition jerk, and generally made the power come in linear through the whole RPM. But mileage dropped to the 160 miles per tank (down from 220'ish). Today I am adding a multifunction hub and switch so I go to a zero map on those long prairie rides when performance doesn't matter.

On my 06 the PCIII fixed the off->on throttle transition jerk, and generally made the power come in linear through the whole RPM. But mileage dropped to the 160 miles per tank (down from 220'ish). Today I am adding a multifunction hub and switch so I go to a zero map on those long prairie rides when performance doesn't matter.
Do you have the O2 sensor connected when you run the zero map? I had the sensor connected with the zero map and I got less than 200kms to a tank, I will try it with the sensr disconnected to see if it improves the mileage. It's a PITA having to lift the tank to disconnect/reconnect each time.

It was definitely worth the $ for my 07. Got rid of the lean surging and made the bike much smoother off idle. As far as mileage goes, I just did an 1100 mile trip two up and loaded with gear. Much of it was in the twisties averaging around 80 mph. Even with all of that I still averaged 45 mpg over the course of the trip. That's with stock fuel settings that came on the PCIII.

Maybe thess are stupid Qs but...

Do any of those that have gone this route also use a G2 Throttle tube?

Is the need for the G2 Tube negated by the PCIII?

Would a custom map be needed to accomodate the G2 Tube?

What is a multifunction hub and switch?

:huh: :dribble:

Q's aren't stupid at all, FJRGuy.....

A lot of people have gone with the G2 and it has solved their particular problem. I tried it on my '06 and it HELPED smooth out the jerky throttle, but the installation of the PCIII completely eliminated the problem. In my opinion, the PCIII usually does eliminate the need for the G2, however, if you have both, there's no custom map needed to accommodate the G2.

As for the "multifunction hub and switch" question, I got nothin' :blink:

My '04 has Two Bros Exhaust and PCIII. Runs great and am averaging 40 + a little mpg. Never tried to baby it for better milage. To much fun just to play and ride.

Having just had my 07 dyno-ed and mapped, I've learned a few things about the Power Commander. First, I bought mine due to the jerky throttle response at roll-on, and the surging.

The Yamaha ECU has these bikes so lean for emissions. The intakes are porous and actually hold fuel, so when you roll off throttle, fuel is "absorbed" in the intake and when you roll back on, it's like dumping extra fuel into the mix (so I was told). Apparently folks like Triumph have figured this out w/their ECU's but Yamaha has not.

With stock ECU map, at one point on the dyno, rolling on the throttle the HP increased 69HP in .2 seconds. That's not smooth!

The "stock" maps from DynoJet do not take in to account your elevation (they're in Las Vegas at what, 2k+ feet??). And for Oregon, we use oxygenated gas too. This is also an issue for your PCIII as other maps don't account for this either.

My question has been, why can't Yamaha map a "touring" bike for mileage and smoothness? My Triumph gets better gas mileage and I ride it much much harder. It's a sport bike after all. I've tried the maps found here and on the internet and frankly have not been happy with any of them as they don't give me what I want.

My suggestion after all of this is to take it to a DynoJet tuner and have your bike mapped for you. The cost to have mine done was $270 and while it's not perfect, it's light years ahead of stock and way better mileage wise than the maps I found on line.

Good luck.

From the PCIII manual

USING MULTIFUNCTION HUB FEATURES

Connecting a Multifunction Hub to your PCIII USB allows access to advanced

expansion features through a variety of harnesses for both input and output

connectivity. With the Multifunction Hub connected you can:

• set up the Map Selection Switch to change between two maps stored in your

PCIII USB.

• display speed and gear position.

• adjust your fuel curve based on gear position.

• set up and use pressure sensor inputs to add fuel which is especially useful for

turbo-charged vehicles.

• set up two powered outputs, such as a solenoid, relay, or warning light that

trigger based on data from the PCIII USB and the Multi-Function Hub.

With the Hub you can store two maps on the PCIII and then have the ability to switch between them without having to hook the PCIII to a computer.

PCIII with zero map, G2 throttle tube, idle speed up to 11500 rpm and taking most of the slack off the throttle cable = excellent throttle response of the idle and zero stalling. Mileage and top speed slightly worse. Highly recommend it. Sam

PCIII with zero map, G2 throttle tube, idle speed up to 11500 rpm and taking most of the slack off the throttle cable = excellent throttle response of the idle and zero stalling. Mileage and top speed slightly worse. Highly recommend it. Sam
If you're running the zero map on the PCIII, you might as well remove it from the bike and sell it to someone. It's not doing anything for you.

Also, I hope your idle speed of 11500 rpm was a typo :)

Q's aren't stupid at all, FJRGuy.....
A lot of people have gone with the G2 and it has solved their particular problem. I tried it on my '06 and it HELPED smooth out the jerky throttle, but the installation of the PCIII completely eliminated the problem. In my opinion, the PCIII usually does eliminate the need for the G2, however, if you have both, there's no custom map needed to accommodate the G2.

As for the "multifunction hub and switch" question, I got nothin' :blink:

I went with the G2 initially for a couple of thouseand miles. Helped significantly, but not enough. Next installed the PC111. Left it on the original map (stock pipes, etc, etc.) Mileage 40 to 44 depending on how frisky. I am happy with this combo, but not happy I needed to spend the $.

OOps - all this on an 06 (bought used) after 30,000 miles on an 05 which did not require all these mods. It just did the roasting better. CC

PCIII with zero map, ...
If you're running the zero map on the PCIII, you might as well remove it from the bike and sell it to someone. It's not doing anything for you.
My thoughts as well. Maybe he meant to say "stock map", rather than "zero map"?

The "zero map" is just that: a map full of zeroes. Anyone that is happy with the performance while running the zero map should just remove the PCIII (and leave the O2 sensor disconnected) and you would run exactly the same way.