PCA Surface Shields...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kelly

Reaction score
So I was down last week for three days dealing with a flu bug and during one of the days when I was feeling more alive, I decided to "tackle" installing the PCA kit on my side bags. I'd had them both painted while the bike was in the shop being repaired, and figured I'd protect the paint by putting this "clear bra" kit on. I've never done this kinda thing before, and figured "How hard to could it be?"... Well two hours later I had all 8 pieces installed properly and honestly it didn't look bad at all. The clear covering does have scratches in it from the "spreader" and my continual removal to re-apply them with less bubbles, but hey, I'll take scratches in the clear bra over scratches in the paint any day of the week. I'll sit them in the sun the first warm day we get (I'm in Va. and it's low 30s out) so they finish curing. Overall this is easy to do if you are patient. I'll do the rest of the bike once we get the heat issue in my shop resolved. You really want to follow the instructions to the "T" and make sure the surface of the part you're working on is above 60 degrees. I warmed the bags with a hair dryer set to "high"... then confirmed with a probe type pyrometer, but just make sure the surface doesn't feel "cool"...

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/FJR_06_10_Surface_Shield_Package_Large_p/12510.htm

Like I said, I still have the headlights and tank to apply, but it was very easy to do and if you aren't happy with the results, wet your hands, peel an edge and pull it off and "start over". I had to redo several of them pieces multiple times. Just don't "over stretch" the pieces as you pull them off, and keep everything soaking wet!

Pics later!

Mike